"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Can you do me a favor and never correct my spelling or grammar again. Take a look at your post one more time.

If you noticed I only side commented I wasn't planning on correcting it until someone else spoke up.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I think both Offman/Levine know and understand the game, but I think Levine has too much man-love for the players, and both tend to 2nd-hand report rumors like they came up with it.

i do sort of get tired of Bruce doing that. Sometimes he will just kiss the players ass that it is painful to listen to. For example he kept on kissing Garland's ass when he was strugglig and it sort of pissed me off.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
i do sort of get tired of Bruce doing that.  Sometimes he will just kiss the players ass that it is painful to listen to.  For example he kept on kissing Garland's ass when he was strugglig and it sort of pissed me off.

Good point on Garland!

I also get sick of Levine (and other ESPN Reporters like Stark and Olney) defending the stats of known steriod users....

Did anyone watch CLTV tonight, they had a round table with four sportscasters, only one that I recognized was Mike Adamle. Anyways, they were talking about the Griffey situation. They said that they anticipated a trade for Griffey in the next couple of days. They were saying that Reinsdorf really wants to win a title, and is willing to open up the pursestrings for Griffey. They said that the Reds would pay about 4 million of his contract for this year, leaving 8 million to the Sox to pay. Also mentioned that the Sox have sellouts tomorrow, Friday and Saturday, which would also help the situation, bringing in more revenue. Finally, they said with a big name like Griffey, they would bring in even more revenue with a big name star.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Did anyone watch CLTV tonight, they had a round table with four sportscasters, only one that I recognized was Mike Adamle. Anyways, they were talking about the Griffey situation. They said that they anticipated a trade for Griffey in the next couple of days. They were saying that Reinsdorf really wants to win a title, and is willing to open up the pursestrings for Griffey. They said that the Reds would pay about 4 million of his contract for this year, leaving 8 million to the Sox to pay. Also mentioned that the Sox have sellouts tomorrow, Friday and Saturday, which would also help the situation, bringing in more revenue. Finally, they said with a big name like Griffey, they would bring in even more revenue with a big name star.

Again, it makes too much sense for it not to happen. Therefore it won't happen.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)

Hope you'll be sending Carl Linder a Christmas Card this year. :P

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:18 AM)

The problem right now is that everyone's just repeating the same story from two weeks ago. I watched the CLTV segment, and no one had any new information. Rather, for some reason, everyone thinks just cause Griffey Jr. cleared waivers, it's a given he'll get traded for the Sox. There hasn't been one ounce of information that suggests the Reds want to trade KG Jr.

If KW was smart, he'd get an answer from the Reds ownership on whether or not they'll even trade Griffey Jr. If they say no, then he needs to move on instead of trying to push them to make the trade. There are potentially other players available that can help this team, and coincidentally, we have a huge hole in LF for the next few weeks.

I think its time for us to face the Music that Blum was our only real mid season pick up. There is no chance to land Griffey, and this is the team that will go into the playoffs. Lets just hope we stay healthy for the most part, and that we can bring up a few guys to get seasoned near the end of the regular season. Other than that, pray...

They were saying that Reinsdorf really wants to win a title, and is willing to open up the pursestrings for Griffey. They said that the Reds would pay about 4 million of his contract for this year, leaving 8 million to the Sox to pay.

:huh:

Where do they get this stuff? He's making about $10.4M this year. $6M in cash & $4.4M deferred. The deferred $$$ is interest free until the last day of the 2008 WS. Which means the Reds have already paid him $4.5M in cash this year. The most the CWS could be on the hook for this year is $1.5M plus $4.4M in the near future. From 2006-2008 they will owe him no less than $22M in cash. From the end of the 2008 WS to 2024 they will owe him about $26M earning 4% a year in interest. Even those payments are structured to greatly benefit the team. They grow slowly & then escalate greatly near the end. The last payment is expected to be $16.5M

in 2024.

This is w/out a doubt the best contract for a marquee player in professional sports today. Take that $26M & invest it in the Nasdaq 100 or DJIA over that time. Thanks to Bush the dividends that will pay will more than make up for the 4% interest owed on the money. So that's a wash. It's a declining principal but $16.5M is good for all but the last year. Assume a modest 5% growth compounded annually & you can turn that $16.5M into $34M by the time you have to make the big payment.

JR would be a fool not to open the wallet for KGJ. But I feel Linder knows this as well. That's probably why he's reluctant to trade him. But the Reds have a greater need for that $22M/3 yrs than the CWS do. I think that ultimately will be the deciding factor to get this deal done.