"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

You know, if KGJ is such a priority for KW/JR now (and I think it is), and with Chris Young now going absolutely nuts in Birmingham, why didn't they just claim Griffey, offering to just take the whole contract straight up and without trading anyone? I mean, If JR is really willing to open the wallet...

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
You know, if KGJ is such a priority for KW/JR now (and I think it is), and with Chris Young now going absolutely nuts in Birmingham, why didn't they just claim Griffey, offering to just take the whole contract straight up and without trading anyone?  I mean, If JR is really willing to open the wallet...

SFF

I guess it comes down to which you value more:

~$13 million

or

3 prospects.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
More importantly...Whether the Reds are just willing to give Griffey away.

Yes, I was assuming the Reds would be willing to get his contract off their hands, which may not be true at all.

Take this for what its worth but according to an email read on Silvy and Carmen, Buster Olney, on his ESPN chat, said that a deal was almost completed to send KGJ to the Sox.

Does anyone have access to Buster's chat (insider) to see if this is actually what he said?

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Take this for what its worth but according to an email read on Silvy and Carmen, Buster Olney, on his ESPN chat, said that a deal was almost completed to send KGJ to the Sox. 

Does anyone have access to Buster's chat (insider) to see if this is actually what he said?

as in "almost" trade deadline deal that the Reds owner nixed or "almost" as currently being done?

Edited by SoxFan562004

Just went through Buster's latest chat, and he really says nothing...unless I'm missing something.

Sean VC (NYC): If KGJ goes to the ChiSox, is he DH'ing? The guy they got out there now is outstanding defensively.

Buster Olney: Sean: If they did get Griffey now, I bet they'd move Rowand to left to facilitate him, and they'd rest Podsednick to make completely sure his groin is healed. Podsednick's whole game is predicated on his speed, and unless his legs are healthy, he really doesn't add a whole lot. They've got to make sure he's OK.

as in "almost" trade deadline deal that the Reds owner nixed or "almost" as currently being done?

That was my question. Is that chat referring to today or last month?

Am I right in assuming that Linder is the primary or sole owner of the Reds? If that's true then what incentive does he have to trade KGJ? There's no question KGJ's play of late has enhanced the value of the franchise more so than any other Reds player. The $22M/3 yr in cash a new owner picks up is less than 1/2 the cost of a marquee player of Griffey's stature. So even if he plays only 1/2 the year he's still a solid cost vs performance player. The $26M deferred amounts to $9.5M owed by 2023 & $16.5M owed in 2024. That's nothing in comparison to the expected rise in franchise value of the Reds over that time.

Lesser known prospects might not cut it. Linder is probably looking for the most talked about players in the ml's. He's looking for a name that will bolster the franchise value after it dips with KGJ's departure. Is that BMac, Anderson, or Sweeney? Do the White Sox even have such a player in the ml?

That's what makes this so frustrating. The GM, President, COO, & others involved in that July 31st trade rumor want to do what's best for the Reds to win in the near future. But Linder is more concerned with what's going to fetch him the best price for the Reds now. As prospective owners go Linder is probably the guy doing most of the talking. He's got to take their interests into consideration on any potential trade.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Of course, then there's Steve Phillips, who I suspect knows no more than we do...

Brian Chicago,IL: What are the odds the White Sox can get Griffey now that he's cleared waivers??

Steve Phillips: (12:09 PM ET ) Now that he has cleared, the Reds can trade him to any team they desire. If the White Sox really wanted to lock in on him exclusively, they could have claimed him. The deal discussed at the deadline included the Reds picking up about $4.5 mil per season on his contract. Certainly the teams can reconnect now to try and make a deal but it is difficult .. if there are MLB players the White Sox want to include, they would have to clear waivers as well. If a guy like Rowand is in the deal, he would get claimed by an AL team most likely which would block the trade from getting done. The Sox couldn't call him a player to be named later and finish it at end of season because players to be named cannot be active players on a ML roster. Supposedly, Carl Lidner is trying to sell the Reds and thinks they are a more valuable asset with Griffey than without. That is what killed the deal at the deadline. I think those circumstances are still in place for any trade consideration now. I don't think he will get moved, but funnier things have happened.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
Rowand!!? Even if Rowand got through waivers.... I would not include rowand for Griffey. No f***ing way.

We wouldn't trade Rowand. This is just further proof that Steve Phillips continues to mistake his ass from a hole in the ground.

Do you remember the stature of Borchy when the White Sox first signed him?

LTP, Light Tower Power they called him. Images of the Natural.

With repsect to Linder I think we are looking at the objectivity of Disney & the Angels. They nixed a deal that would have given them both Garland & Lee because it did not include a marquee name. I think Linder is looking for a marquee name from the ml's. Borchy in his first year fit that bill. I don't know how many players there are like that today.

Did BMac exceed the 27 days to where an option year was spent? If so then he would have to clear waivers & there's no way that's happening.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)

LTP, Light Tower Power they called him.  Images of the Natural.

With repsect to Linder I think we are looking at the objectivity of Disney & the Angels.  They nixed a deal that would have given them both Garland & Lee because it did not include a marquee name.  I think Linder is looking for a marquee name from the ml's.  Borchy in his first year fit that bill.  I don't know how many players there are like that today.

Did BMac exceed the 27 days to where an option year was spent?  If so then he would have to clear waivers & there's no way that's happening.

it would have given them garland and singleton for erstad, not lee

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Yes, I was assuming the Reds would be willing to get his contract off their hands, which may not be true at all.

Yes, I agree the Reds might not want to just give him away just to rid themselves of the contract. I meant, why didn't the Sox claim him so the Reds could either unload him solely to free up $$$ or trade him and get prospects. If KW/JR really wanted him, I would think they should have done that to give Linder as much incentive as possible to deal.

SFF

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)

He wasn't called that until he hit a ST homer off of the light tower.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
With repsect to Linder I think we are looking at the objectivity of Disney & the Angels.  They nixed a deal that would have given them both Garland & Lee because it did not include a marquee name.  I think Linder is looking for a marquee name from the ml's.  Borchy in his first year fit that bill.  I don't know how many players there are like that today.

Wrong again. It was Garland and Chris Singleton.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)

Did BMac exceed the 27 days to where an option year was spent?  If so then he would have to clear waivers & there's no way that's happening.

Not to pile on, but the Erstad deal wasn't killed because it lacked a marquee name - it was that Disney wanted to keep Erstad, who was a huge fan favorite, whether or not it helped the team (which he did that year - this was 2002.)

Not to pile on, but the Erstad deal wasn't killed because it lacked a marquee name - it was that Disney wanted to keep Erstad, who was a huge fan favorite, whether or not it helped the team (which he did that year - this was 2002.)

I'm just going by the way it was reported. Leading up to the deal Lee's name had been mentioned as well. The Erstad analogy is a good one. KGJ is definitely a fan favorite of Reds fans but I think the avg Red fan would trade victories for KGJ.

Quote:

He wasn't called that until he hit a ST homer off of the light tower.

How anal can you get? The point is Borchy was a marquee name in the ml's. :rolly

Any of you guys here that Bruce Levine and KGJ intereview on sunday? He pretty much thinks he will be traded- and he has no problem with coming and playing here. The only thing holding this back is his contract status.

why would the Reds trade him now after the president of the team rejected the deal at the deadline?

Just listened to Gammons on Dan Patrick Show - he said there are some other teams interested, but still unsure if a deal would get done. Said it would greatly help the Sox while Pods is out (so he can heal) but suggested the Sox move Rowand to LF. I'm not sure I get this - Rowand is younger, faster, and a better CFer at this point. Move Griff to LF until Scotty gets back and then platoon him and Carl.

Edited by longshot7

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Just listened to Gammons on Dan Patrick Show - he said there are some other teams interested, but still unsure if a deal would get done. Said it would greatly help the Sox while Pods is out (so he can heal) but suggested the Sox move Rowand to LF.  I'm not sure I get this - Rowand is younger, faster, and a better CFer at this point.  Move Griff to LF until Scotty gets back and then platoon him and Carl.

Ahhh, The Red Sox arent interested so Gammons doesnt really care.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Just listened to Gammons on Dan Patrick Show - he said there are some other teams interested, but still unsure if a deal would get done.  Said it would greatly help the Sox while Pods is out (so he can heal) but suggested the Sox move Rowand to LF.  I'm not sure I get this - Rowand is younger, faster, and a better CFer at this point.  Move Griff to LF until Scotty gets back and then platoon him and Carl.

Griffey will never play RF or LF. It's a matter of the throws to the infield.

In RF and LF you're throwing at much more of an angle than you are from CF. I honestly don't know how this matters, but I've read repeatedly that it somehow puts more stress on your legs to throw from the corner outfield spots. That's the last thing you want with a guy like Griffey, with a history of leg problems.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Griffey will never play RF or LF.  It's a matter of the throws to the infield.

In RF and LF you're throwing at much more of an angle than you are from CF.  I honestly don't know how this matters, but I've read repeatedly that it somehow puts more stress on your legs to throw from the corner outfield spots.  That's the last thing you want with a guy like Griffey, with a history of leg problems.

That's the resign why J.D. Drew now play CF exclusively. His legs can't take the strain from playing the corner OF positions.

If Griffey trade happens: Carl in left, Rowand in center and Griffey as DH

If Griffey trade does not happen: Anderson in left, Rowand in center and Carl as DH

You don't move a potential gold glover from center to appease a player that you want for his bat. If he vetos the trade because he will be DH, then he isn't good for team with his me-first attitude any way.