Sox need Griffey, NOW!

moochpuppy

On the verge of a possible 5 game losing streak and the offense as flat as a live Ashlee Simpson song, Kenny Williams needs to get this deal done. I don't care how much of the remaining $40 million the Reds would want the Sox to pick up...this is the best chance the Sox have had to getting to a World Series in 86 years.

They have the pitching, Buerhle, Garland and Garcia are the best top 3 in a rotation in all of baseball. The have the defense, commiting the least amount of errors in the league. Now they just need the offense. With Thomas out for the season and possibly his career, Griffey is the perfect replacement. Everett gives us some power on the left side but he is hitting under .240 from there. Same with AJ but again, low average. Griffey gives Guillen the option of platooning some of his players like Dye, Everett, Pods and Rowand to help keep them fresh for September and the playoffs.

Pull the trigger KW, before Ashlee sings the Sox swan song.

:gosox4:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
The fat lady has sung...

Her name is Hawk and she was doing a rant I guess last night on how Everett is the anchor of the offense and Griffey as a great player for 8 years but times change.

Hawk is insane if he thinks that Everett is better than Griffey.

Maybe Timo is also.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
I hate to say it, but this deal is dead.  You'd better just get used to an offense that can't score more than 4 runs in 16 innings.

I'll remember that when Pods comes back.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
I'll remember that when Pods comes back.

Is Pods causing Dye to hit below 200 in August or Crede to hit below .140.

Pods is responsible for Timo playing at that is it.

Uribe and Crede killing rallies last night was the reason for the loss. They were walking Arow like he was barry bonds to get to the blackhole of the lineup.

URIBE POPS IT UP on the first pitch!!!!!!!!!!!!

CREDE POPS IT UP!!!!!!!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
Is Pods causing Dye to hit below 200 in August or Crede to hit below .140. 

Pods is responsible for Timo playing at that is it. 

Uribe and Crede killing rallies last night was the reason for the loss.  They were walking Arow like he was barry bonds to get to the blackhole of the lineup.

URIBE POPS IT UP on the first pitch!!!!!!!!!!!!

CREDE POPS IT UP!!!!!!!

Is Dye going to hit .200 for the rest of the year? No, he's a streaky hitter and he'll be back firing.

Uribe was taking pitches last night, not being a meathead hitter (as it is commonly referred by those who bash the offense) and striking out on the high fastball. . You can keep bashing him all you want but the fact is he's hitting .268 this month, and was 5 for 10 in his last 3 games before last night.

You don't think Pods doesn't make that much of a difference. Have a look at Tadahito Iguchi. He's got splits of .222/.300/.467 this month so far. Last month he was hittin .293. Now with Timo Perez leading off, how many oppurtunities does Iguchi have to drive him in from 2nd, or sacrifice him across to 2nd? Pods puts pressure on the opposing pitcher, and it results in the hitters seing better pitches when he's on base.

Griffey isn't happening, that's pretty obvious. But the offense needs a big jolt. Pods being out isn't the problem either. Timo accounted for a couple of runs in the leadoff spot yesterday. I love Hawk, but I'm glad I'm at the games when he's talking about how Griffey has no place to play on the White Sox. I heard it for 2 games, and was insulted. Another thing is when Pods is out, this is a station to station team. They don't have any running game. I don't know what happened to stolen base attempts, hit and runs etc. Monday night was the first time I ever saw back to back singles off the wall.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
BMac & Anderson both have option years & signed ml deals.  They don't have to clear ML waivers.  This can get done.

Can you explain why? I thought anybody on the 40-man roster is forced to clear waivers after July 31?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Can you explain why?  I thought anybody on the 40-man roster is forced to clear waivers after July 31?

3E8.. you are so ignorant.. :bang

Don't ask questions. Juggs is the knower of all where waivers are concerned.

Can you explain why?  I thought anybody on the 40-man roster is forced to clear waivers after July 31?

Paraphrasing the MLB rule book:

A club needs to secure MAJOR LEAGUE WAIVERS on a player in order to option him for assignment to either the ml club or a ML club when the date of assignment is >= 3 yrs from the date the player was first assigned to a ML club. Option years spent prior to being assigned to a ML club count towards those 3 yrs.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)

A club needs to secure MAJOR LEAGUE WAIVERS on a player in order to option him for assignment to either the ml club or a ML club when the date of assignment is >= 3 yrs from the date the player was first assigned to a ML club.  Option years spent prior to being assigned to a ML club count towards those 3 yrs.

Hawkism.gifI Love it when you analyze!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)

A club needs to secure MAJOR LEAGUE WAIVERS on a player in order to option him for assignment to either the ml club or a ML club when the date of assignment is >= 3 yrs from the date the player was first assigned to a ML club.  Option years spent prior to being assigned to a ML club count towards those 3 yrs.

Yes but I don't think they pass through the assignment waivers before being traded. I believe they pass through the other type of waivers.

Yes but I don't think they pass through the assignment waivers before being traded.  I believe they pass through the other type of waivers.

A trade is considered an assignment from one ML team to another. If you think about it how would any trades ever get done in Aug if contenders could block the mlers in such trades?

STL 8/06/04 Traded RHP Jason Burch and 2 PTBNL to COL for OF Larry Walker.

COL 8/11/04 Acquired LHP Luis Martinez and RHP Chris Narveson from STL.

They had claimed Martinez off waivers from MIL before ST & then optioned him to AAA before the season. I believe he had option years left at the time.

This looks like a good example because the PTBNL must be on the 40 man roster. Yet the Walker trade was reported 5 days beforehand. That suggests to me that they submitted a list of players to the commisioners office that didn't require ML waivers.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
A trade is considered an assignment from one ML team to another.  If you think about it how would any trades ever get done in Aug if contenders could block the mlers in such trades?

STL  8/06/04  Traded RHP Jason Burch and 2 PTBNL to COL for OF Larry Walker.

COL 8/11/04  Acquired LHP Luis Martinez and RHP Chris Narveson from STL.

They had claimed Martinez off waivers from MIL before ST & then optioned him to AAA before the season.  I believe he had option years left at the time.

This looks like a good example because the PTBNL must be on the 40 man roster. Yet the Walker trade was reported 5 days beforehand.  That suggests to me that they submitted a list of players to the commisioners office that didn't require ML waivers.

The PTBNL cannot be on the 40 man roster.