September 1st callups

CSF

If I'm not mistaken, the roster gets expanded to 40. Whose got the best chance at being brought up on 9/1.

Harris

Gload

BMac

Adkins

Walker (though I wouldn't have a problem if they didn't)

Baj (long, long, loooong overdue)

Anderson (only if he's sent back down prior to 9/1)

I wonder if any AA guys like Young or Owens will get a nod?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harris -- After Charlotte's season is over

Gload -- ""

BMac -- ""

Adkins -- Is there such thing as a september demotion?

Walker (though I wouldn't have a problem if they didn't) -- Aw, hell no

Baj (long, long, loooong overdue) -- After Charlotte's season is over

Anderson (only if he's sent back down prior to 9/1) -- He's up for good.

I wonder if any AA guys like Young or Owens will get a nod? -- No

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Harris -- After Charlotte's season is over

Gload -- ""

BMac -- ""

Adkins -- Is there such thing as a september demotion?

Walker (though I wouldn't have a problem if they didn't) -- Aw, hell no

Baj (long, long, loooong overdue) -- After Charlotte's season is over

Anderson (only if he's sent back down prior to 9/1) -- He's up for good.

I wonder if any AA guys like Young or Owens will get a nod? -- No

Oops, I forgot Adkins was already with the club. :bang

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
The 40-man roster is full, if you're not on it already, you're not getting called up.

Speaking of which, what are Reynoso and Smith doing on the 40-man? I think that they could be DFA'ed at any time to clear open spots.

Frank Thomas can be moved to the 60-day DL to open up a 40-man roster spot as well.

Kevin Walker is also a DFA candidate. Most of his salary has been eaten already, so no big whoop on losing him.

Casey Rogowski is on the 40-man. I wonder if he is a potential call up.

It will be interesting to see who gets on the 40-man this offseason. Chris Young is a possibility, you would think, perhaps replacing Borchard. I could see Haigwood being added, as well, at perhaps the price of an Arnie Munoz or a Felix Diaz or (unfortunately) Jeff Bajenaru.

I would imagine Borchard is going to get called up. With his arm in the outfield he's an OK late inning replacement.

I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a shot before 9/1 in case he gets hot and needed in the playoffs. And to answer Hawk's "where would he play?" question, anywhere Timo does right now.

I, too, wonder why Matt Smith is still on the 40-man. Was he a high draft pick or something?

I doubt Rogo gets a shot this year, I'm pretty sure they'd just give Gload a call, first.

I'd probably go with Harris/Gload/B-Mac/Baj, and maybe even Munoz and/or Diaz.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
It will be interesting to see who gets on the 40-man this offseason.  Chris Young is a possibility, you would think, perhaps replacing Borchard.  I could see Haigwood being added, as well, at perhaps the price of an Arnie Munoz or a Felix Diaz or (unfortunately) Jeff Bajenaru.

The guys that need to be added are those who have 3 years of minor league time, and are in danger of being claimed...

Young

Schnurstein

Haigwood

Haeger

...are the guys who immediately come to mind.

Valido and Sweeney, I think, can be left off for another year because of service time. maybe Schnur too, since there's little to no chance of him being Rule 5'd.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Is the rule 3 years of full-season ball?

Depends on age:

"Major league teams must protect players on their 40-man rosters within three or four years of their original signing. Those left unprotected are available to other teams as Rule 5 picks.

Players who were 18 or younger on June 5 preceding the signing of their first contract must be protected after four minor league seasons. Players 19 and older must be protected after three seasons."

There will be a lot of movement on the 40-man just like there is every year. Expect Smith, Walker and Reynoso to be kicked off and players like Young, Haigwood, and possibly Honel put on.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Speaking of which, what are Reynoso and Smith doing on the 40-man?  I think that they could be DFA'ed at any time to clear open spots.

From what I know Reynoso has a stud arm but is a stupid pitcher. They probably wanted to keep him on the 40-man because they want to give him every shot. He's the kind of guy that teams will take a chance on in the Rule V.

As for Smith he had a stud year at Birmingham and maybe they thought he was worth giving a shot on the 40-man. If he followed up with a good year at Charlotte (he's been mediocre) he could have been an injury replacement if needed. That's the only thinking I can come up with.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
I thought Kevin Walker was DFA when he was sent to Charlotte last time?  Am I mistaken?

IIRC, he was out of options so in order for the Sox to option him to Charlotte they had to send him through waivers. He cleared and was optioned to AAA however he remained on the 40.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
IIRC, he was out of options so in order for the Sox to option him to Charlotte they had to send him through waivers. He cleared and was outrighted to AAA however he remained on the 40.

I thought you only optioned someone outright if you were taking them off the 40 man, no? I think Walker had to pass waivers, but he was just optioned, not outrighted.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I thought you only optioned someone outright if you were taking them off the 40 man, no?  I think Walker had to pass waivers, but he was just optioned, not outrighted.

That is true, you "outright" someone off the 40 man roster and you "option" someone to AAA and they stay on the 40. I just used the wrong word on the second part of my post, though I did get it right in the first part.

No mention of Bajenaru. Sorry.

Guillen will discuss McCarthy's return during a Friday morning meeting with general manager Ken Williams, who will join the team in Seattle. The other main issue on the agenda is September callups, with Guillen favoring the less-is-more concept.

Judging by Guillen's comments during Thursday's pregame media session, Ross Gload and Willie Harris appear to be locks to return for the final month. Outfielder Brian Anderson, who figures to get sent down upon Scott Podsednik's activation from the disabled list, and Jon Adkins, who probably will be moved after Tuesday's first game to make room for McCarthy, also should return.

There was mention of another pitcher, possibly left-hander Arnie Munoz, and a third catcher. But there was no talk of outfielder Joe Borchard, who hit his 26th home run for Charlotte on Wednesday. Ultimately, Guillen will heed the advice of Williams and director of player development Dave Wilder.

"I might need another coach to throw batting practice," said Guillen with a laugh. "Besides that, I don't think I need more than two or three guys, but right now, it's up to what Kenny wants."

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Like I mentioned, the rumblings I have heard are that Baj wouldn't be part of the 40 man call ups.  Things could change though and the Sox would be stupid to not have him up.

its becoming more and more obvious that Baj has stepped on some toes in this org, and will get his only real chance with another team. That is extremely sad.