sox, cubs talking today?

thedoctor

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
I just want to know how KW can sit in his office and think "wow, the current make-up of this team has what it takes to make a run in the playoffs"?  I know he's tried hard to get some superstars....but why not add a few solid MLB players (like Todd Walker, Ibanez, etc.) to try and boost the overall offense?

Ibanez never cleared waivers. At least he wasn't on any list of players that had cleared.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
Yes, he had cleared waivers.  That's why there were the rumors that KW was interested.

Other than a few publications that said KW was interested, can you find anywhere that it says he cleared waivers. I seriously can't.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
Other than a few publications that said KW was interested, can you find anywhere that it says he cleared waivers. I seriously can't.

I heard he was interested from quite a few places, and not just Chicago reporters. I'll trust Paul White knows who was available and who wasn't.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
Hasn't it been more like 31 days and 20 hours of disappointment?  I thought people on here told us not to worry, KW would make some waiver trades to sure up our team?

I don't think KW ever guaranteed that he'd make a move, just that he'd explore everything out there and do what he can to improve the team.

Still, I hope we can upgrade somehow, someway before the night is over.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
I don't think KW ever guaranteed that he'd make a move, just that he'd explore everything out there and do what he can to improve the team.

Still, I hope we can upgrade somehow, someway before the night is over.

I know KW never said it....but some of the smarter people on this board told us not to worry, KW will make a move if this team struggles.

Todd Walker is not a DH nor a third baseman. I think its foolish to suggest him doing so, but would be intrigued to see if Uribe and Crede could split time at third, with Iguchi volunteering to move over to short for the rest of the season.

Obviously the likeliness of any of this happening is slim to none..

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Todd Walker is not a DH nor a third baseman.  I think its foolish to suggest him doing so, but would be intrigued to see if Uribe and Crede could split time at third, with Iguchi volunteering to move over to short for the rest of the season.

Obviously the likeliness of any of this happening is slim to none..

Why is he not a DH?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
I know KW never said it....but some of the smarter people on this board told us not to worry, KW will make a move if this team struggles.

Are you telling me that you didn't think KW would pull off a trade? I know I did.

inkennywetrustysox9rc.jpg

Hey, I'm going to go deep conspiracy theory on this... JR doesn't mind what's going on... in many corners he's not being blamed for the KGJ situation, in fact he's coming out in a positive light on that and he doesn't have to add money

also, after tonight Clev. will be 6 or 7 games behind, meaning home games in September will mean something, thus bigger crowds...

not that I really believe this, but I have a lot of free time on my hands to think of this crap!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Are you telling me that you didn't think KW would pull off a trade? I know I did.

inkennywetrustysox9rc.jpg

Honestly, no, I never thought we'd make a big trade. KW and Ozzie thought this team was good enough to win it all, based in part off of our amazing start. A couple of people on this site have, including myself, have made a statement that KW and Ozzie were too busy judging the team in the standings instead of on the field. This team won so many low scoring close games in the first half of the year, that you knew once the pitching stopped overachieving by so much, they were going to need offense to win games.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
He can obviously play the dh position, as anyone can, but he's not going to like doing it, and he certainly won't resign here if all he's getting is DH duties.

Or we could just exercise the $2.5M team option that goes along with his contract and he'll have no choice but to stay.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
He can obviously play the dh position, as anyone can, but he's not going to like doing it, and he certainly won't resign here if all he's getting is DH duties.

I think he'd like playing in the playoffs in October opposed to playing for cubs for the month of sept., esp. when he is playing for a contract next yr. As far as resigning him, I don't think the sox would want him for 2006.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
Hey, I'm going to go deep conspiracy theory on this... JR doesn't mind what's going on... in many corners he's not being blamed for the KGJ situation, in fact he's coming out in a positive light on that and he doesn't have to add money

also, after tonight Clev. will be 6 or 7 games behind, meaning home games in September will mean something, thus bigger crowds...

not that I really believe this, but I have a lot of free time on my hands to think of this crap!

September games were going to have huge crowds anyways. Do you know how much more money could be gained by making the playoffs? Also, if the Sox do miss out on the playoffs, there's going to be a huge backlash initially against the organization. JR might be cheap...but he wants to win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Honestly, no, I never thought we'd make a big trade.  KW and Ozzie thought this team was good enough to win it all, based in part off of our amazing start.  A couple of people on this site have, including myself, have made a statement that KW and Ozzie were too busy judging the team in the standings instead of on the field.  This team won so many low scoring close games in the first half of the year, that you knew once the pitching stopped overachieving by so much, they were going to need offense to win games.

I would have to say that I completly agree with this post.

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
KW has under 5 hours to work some magic. If nothing gets done I will assume the market was still horrible because I believe KW is always searching and working hard on possible deals. Obviously we will all be disappointed if nothing happens, but that is just he way this year has been market wise. IMO it is almost essential to get someone thats better than mediocre to help out our offense be it Walker or anyone else.

Wouldn't it be the cruelest of ironies if, in the year when the Sox really do look like a playoff team, our aggresive GM is unable to pull off a big trade because of the nature of the trade market? I have no doubt that KW has done, and is still trying, to do what he can to improve the team. Unfortunately it is a sellers market in the extreme.

Edited by infohawk

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
To be honest I'd be more interested in Nomar Garciaparra but I'd take Walker

Actually, I'd love to have Nomar for the stretch run. It would make so much sense. He hits for power and average and the Sox wouldn't have to committ to him beyond this year if they didn't want to. Uribe could slide over to third. Just out of curiousity, is he even available for a trade (waiver process) if the Cubs wanted to deal him?

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Actually, I'd love to have Nomar for the stretch run.  It would make so much sense.  He hits for power and average and the Sox wouldn't have to committ to him beyond this year if they didn't want to.  Uribe could slide over to third.  Just out of curiousity, is he even available for a trade (waiver process) if the Cubs wanted to deal him?

Appearantly he was never even placed on waivers so... no.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Actually, I'd love to have Nomar for the stretch run.  It would make so much sense.  He hits for power and average and the Sox wouldn't have to committ to him beyond this year if they didn't want to.  Uribe could slide over to third.  Just out of curiousity, is he even available for a trade (waiver process) if the Cubs wanted to deal him?

fathom heard he was never placed on waivers. Could be a goodwill gesture to get him to return for next to nothing next season. There has been stories he is building a house on the North Shore.