sox, cubs talking today?

thedoctor

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
I'd be SHOCKED, no FLOORED if the Cubs helped us in any way.

This is more Levine B.S.

The cub fans wouldnt help us, but the Cubs are a business like anything else. There is some history here of these teams making deals.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
2.  Do you really think the cubs, after having an extremely dissapointing season, would trade their starting 2B to their crosstown rival for their playoff run?

yes i do. rivals? to the fans, not to the management. i dont think hendry loses sleep at night if the sox are doing well. besides walker is a FA at years end and they dont wanna pay him or let him walk for nothin so why not take the best offer?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
I don't think Hendry gives a crap about the crosstown rivalry.  They sell out every game.  If he can do something he thinks will be beneficial to the Cubs, he'll do it.

what he said

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
yes i do. rivals? to the fans, not to the management. i dont think hendry loses sleep at night if the sox are doing well. besides walker is a FA at years end and they dont wanna pay him or let him walk for nothin so why not take the best offer?

The cubs sell out no matter how bad they are. They dont have to be good to make money. So its not like our success is really killing their bottom line.

One of the papers said today there is a mutual option between Walker and the Cubs for something like $2.5M for 2006. I don't know the in's and out's, but say the two teams cut a deal today. The White Sox would be unlikely to pick up any option, and it might free Walker to turn right around and go back to the Cubs.

A true rental player situation.

Personally I don't think the two teams are eager to help one another, there has been some history of trades between the two teams though and Hendry and KW get along.

I agree with Yas, if it makes sense for the Cubs, they'll do it. But I don't think they'll be heartbroken if they can't move Walker today.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
That is a very realistic possibilty.

It's almost a guarantee. I'm still waiting for Levine to get something right this year. I know it's fun to make projected lineups with Walker in it....but it doesn't sound like anything is close.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
One of the papers said today there is a mutual option between Walker and the Cubs for something like $2.5M for 2006.  I don't know the in's and out's, but say the two teams cut a deal today.  The White Sox would be unlikely to pick up any option, and it might free Walker to turn right around and go back to the Cubs.

A true rental player situation.

Personally I don't think the two teams are eager to help one another, there has been some history of trades between the two teams though and Hendry and KW get along.

I agree with Yas, if it makes sense for the Cubs, they'll do it.  But I don't think they'll be heartbroken if they can't move Walker today.

Walker isn't going back to the Cubs. Their plan, as of now, is to play Furcal at SS, and Cedeno at 2nd base. If they don't get Furcal, they'd go after A. Soriano at 2nd base.

KW may want to pick up Walker to block the Injuns from getting another bat. There have been rumors about the Injuns picking up walker, and maybe two weeks ago we wouldnt care, but now that they have jumped within eye sight of the sox maybe we make this trade to block the injuns and add a left handed bat.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
KW may want to pick up Walker to block the Injuns from getting another bat.  There have been rumors about the Injuns picking up walker, and maybe two weeks ago we wouldnt care, but now that they have jumped within eye sight of the sox maybe we make this trade to block the injuns and add a left handed bat.

I think KW's prime motivation would be to add a quality LH bat to the Sox. Blocking the Indians is a bonus, but damn ... We need one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
For those listening:  was this just a little blurb by Mr. Zero, or has he talked about it a few times?

He spent a few minutes on it. About the same as he did yesterday when he said the Sox would make no trades.. :lolhitting

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
For those listening:  was this just a little blurb by Mr. Zero, or has he talked about it a few times?

They just did the latest ESPN update and went over that Bruuce Levine is reporting the whitesox and the cubs are talking about Todd Walker. And Todd is in the lineup today for the cubs. That is all.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
They just did the latest ESPN update and went over that Bruuce Levine is reporting the whitesox and the cubs are talking about Todd Walker.  And Todd is in the lineup today for the cubs.  That is all.

Yes.....but Todd Hollandsworth was in the lineup the day he was dealt to the Braves....I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'........

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
1. Levine is about as accurate as....

2.  Do you really think the cubs, after having an extremely dissapointing season, would trade their starting 2B to their crosstown rival for their playoff run?

I don't see why they wouldn't. The Cubs organization has no reason to view the Sox as any kind of threat. Even if the Sox won the World Series, Wrigley would continue to sell out. It's not like Cub fans would jump ship for the Sox in droves. I'm sure Hendry would make a trade with the Sox if we had the best offer on the table.