sox, cubs talking today?

thedoctor

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I'd absolutely love Walker, he's a very good hitter.  There's a few things though: 1. Levine is saying this so it won't happen, 2. Oh boy, here we go, WHERE WOULD HE PLAY.  Honestly, I know he can give Tad a rest every now and then but Walker really would be one of our best hitters we'd have to find somewhere for him to play and there really isn't a place to put him.

He would bat against tough righties that give us fits. Have him bat against righties and have Everett bat against lefties.

ESPN was saying the sox are trying to figure out if he can play some 3rd. He cant be any worse than Ozuna over there.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I'd absolutely love Walker, he's a very good hitter.  There's a few things though: 1. Levine is saying this so it won't happen, 2. Oh boy, here we go, WHERE WOULD HE PLAY.  Honestly, I know he can give Tad a rest every now and then but Walker really would be one of our best hitters we'd have to find somewhere for him to play and there really isn't a place to put him.

3B? He is not great there, but couldnt be as bad as Blum has been lately.

DH, especially against RHP, Carl is Brutal LH this season. 2B fill in, for sure this is where he will get some time as well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
This I definitely agree with.  Like I said, I love Walkers bat, it would jsut be interesting where he would fit in everyday.

His bat is very nice. Line drive swing, doesnt strike out a a large clip. And he is lefty.

Whats not to like.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
His bat is very nice.  Line drive swing, doesnt strike out a a large clip.  And he is lefty.

Whats not to like.

I will tell you whats not to like. The fact that this trade has about a 1 percent chance of happening. And I refuse to get all jacked up about another trade that levine proposes.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
I will tell you whats not to like.  The fact that this trade has about a 1 percent chance of happening. And I refuse to get all jacked up about another trade that levine proposes.

I would say the 1% is being optimistic.

Here is the only glimmer of hope.

Farmio just said he thinks that KW is looking for a guy who isnt a front line player, but is just a hair less than that, who can bat lefty or switch hit and can play 2nd or 3rd.

Sounds similiar to the type of player that Walker is(outside of the 3rd base which is speculation)

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Walker is in the Cubs starting lineup for today, so I guess a deal is not that close to happening.  I know that this isn't always a 100% accurate situation where if a player might get traded he has to sit,  but its a good measuring stick.  My guess is that this deal isn't happening.

Once again, Hollandsworth was in the lineup the day he was traded to the Braves. The fact that Walker is playing means absolutely nothing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Once again, Hollandsworth was in the lineup the day he was traded to the Braves. The fact that Walker is playing means absolutely nothing.

Like I said, it isn't always the case, but it can have something to do with it. If they were finalizing the deal as we speak, Walker would NOT be in the lineup. That was my point. No deal for Walker is close.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Here is the only glimmer of hope.

Farmio just said he thinks that KW is looking for a guy who isnt a front line player, but is just a hair less than that, who can bat lefty or switch hit and can play 2nd or 3rd.

Sounds similiar to the type of player that Walker is(outside of the 3rd base which is speculation)

theres no doubt he would fit the team. But the question is, can the deal get done, and will Cle step up and try to offer more than us.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
I'd love to get Walker.  My ideal line-up VS. RHP

Pods

Rowand

Walker

Kong

Everett

Dye

Perz

Crede (when healthy)

Uribe

I think that has a nice balance to it.

Walker is NOT a #3 hitter, and where's Gooch??? :chair.........I'll take Walker to rotate w/ Gooch and Everett, and as a LH hitter off the bench, but i wouldn't put him in there as a regular, unless he can play 3rd base.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Walker is NOT a #3 hitter. And no Gooch???  :chair

Yeah, Walker is really not a #3 hitter at all. He doesn't have the power or RBI ability that a 3 hitter needs. I think Walker is a good #2 hitter. I know, I know, Iguchi has been great there this year, but say the Sox move Iguchi down to like the 6th position where he doesn't have to give himself up as much and can swing away. I think Iguchi could be a .300/25/90 type of player if the Sox let him swing away a little more. Just one option if they are looking for more production from the lineup.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Especially since my phone TV doesn't work in their s***ty boxes.  :angry:

They honestly have the worst damn boxes around, I have been in the LaSalle one too, strange. The only good thing about when I go to the games is being able to walk home after, and yeah, the taco bell and the crunch wrap supreme.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
They honestly have the worst damn boxes around, I have been in the LaSalle one too, strange.  The only good thing about when I go to the games is being able to walk home after, and yeah, the taco bell and the crunch wrap supreme.

I told him no. I'm going to Champps to watch the Sox game for a bit instead. Today seems like a good day for a liquid lunch.. ;)

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
is that crunch wrap suprieme good?

really... is it?

It is unreal. Except for one major flaw. They need to cut it into slices like a pizza, it would be eaten easier that way. Go out and get one right away, one of those and a cheesey gordita crunch, and you will be set.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I told him no. I'm going to Champps to watch the Sox game for a bit instead. Today seems like a good day for a liquid lunch..  ;)

Already beat you to it, going to myrtle beach tomorrow for a week, so today's work is definately taking the backseat.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
believe it or not, i dont like the cheesey gordata crunch very much

im more of a grilled steak soft taco, taco suprieme, chalupa, extra green sause borrito type of dude.

Sox trade Walker and Corey Patterson for

Anderson, Young, Mccarthy and Konerko.