sox, cubs talking today?

thedoctor

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
I don't see why they wouldn't.  The Cubs organization has no reason to view the Sox as any kind of threat.  Even if the Sox won the World Series, Wrigley would continue to sell out.  It's not like Cub fans would jump ship for the Sox in droves.  I'm sure Hendry would make a trade with the Sox if we had the best offer on the table.

Who are the cubs??

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
KW may want to pick up Walker to block the Injuns from getting another bat.  There have been rumors about the Injuns picking up walker, and maybe two weeks ago we wouldnt care, but now that they have jumped within eye sight of the sox maybe we make this trade to block the injuns and add a left handed bat.

Agreed. Acquiring Walker would help us in two ways. We would get a solid left-handed bat while keeping said bat away from the Indians.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Agreed.  Acquiring Walker would help us in two ways.  We would get a solid left-handed bat while keeping said bat away from the Indians.

Tomorrow's Cubune Headline.

Sox acquire washed up Walker to add to their subpar and lucky team.

Cubs acquire Rookie A ball star....Sammy Sosa Part II.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
I don't see why they wouldn't.  The Cubs organization has no reason to view the Sox as any kind of threat.  Even if the Sox won the World Series, Wrigley would continue to sell out.  It's not like Cub fans would jump ship for the Sox in droves.  I'm sure Hendry would make a trade with the Sox if we had the best offer on the table.

They do view the sox as a threat, especially if we make a deep run into the playoffs. So soon you forget that the cubs didnt always sell out. it wasnt that long ago where they had trouble getting anyone to that ballpark. Even now, the stands are beginning to not be as full, the tickets more plentiful, and the Dusty, Hendry, Tribune bashing has started. If they make a move that helps propel the sox over the hump, you bet your ass there will be some backlash. As much as cubs fans project that they are above the sox hating, they arent. And this move, would spurn even more negativity, in an already negative situation.

Plus Levine is talking out of his ass.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
They do view the sox as a threat, especially if we make a deep run into the playoffs.  So soon you forget that the cubs didnt always sell out.  it wasnt that long ago where they had trouble getting anyone to that ballpark.  Even now, the stands are beginning to not be as full, the tickets more plentiful, and the Dusty, Hendry, Tribune bashing has started.  If they make a move that helps propel the sox over the hump, you bet your ass there will be some backlash.  As much as cubs fans project that they are above the sox hating, they arent.  And this move, would spurn even more negativity, in an already negative situation.

Plus Levine is talking out of his ass.

585864.jpg

You really like my ass...I try so hard to impress.

Levine may be doing what a lot of reporters, and Levine does it too, which is just throw s*** against the wall and see what sticks.

Most people don't remember the BS that people report that never happens, but they do remember when a reporter somewhat mentioned something that partially came true.

IMO a lot of these guys are like "psychics" who do cold reading, just keep saying s*** and eventually someone has a relative named Joe, but they forget you mentioned 10 other names just to get to that point.

with that said, at this point I wouldn't mind seeing Walker added to the club, Willie Harris or Todd Walker? I go with Walker at this point. He can back up 2b and DH better than what we have now.

Edited by SoxFan562004

You can tell which website Jimbo browsed before registering here.

Far as the relationship between Hendry and Williams, I can't believe any ill feeling between fans would influence the decision on whether or not to approve a trade. Doesn't mean they don't dislike each other.

Hendry will do his best to take advantage of our pathetic offense and try to squeeze as much talent out of Williams as possible. Every general manager talking with KW at this juncture is probably doing the same. I wouldn't expect anything more than 1 decent infield prospect (which isn't saying much in our organization) or 2 fringe prospects if this trade were to occur. As has been pointed out in this trade, Walker could still return to the Cubs next season. No need to overpay. You overpay for Griffey, if possible, not Walker.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Well, if there's anything to this rumor, there's only 12 hours to get something worked out.

is it midnight tonight for the trade deadline or is it sometime in the afternoon like the 7/31 deadline?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
You can tell which website Jimbo browsed before registering here.

Far as the relationship between Hendry and Williams, I can't believe any ill feeling between fans would influence the decision on whether or not to approve a trade. Doesn't mean they don't dislike each other.

Hendry will do his best to take advantage of our pathetic offense and try to squeeze as much talent out of Williams as possible. Every general manager talking with KW at this juncture is probably doing the same. I wouldn't expect anything more than 1 decent infield prospect (which isn't saying much in our organization) or 2 fringe prospects if this trade were to occur. As has been pointed out in this trade, Walker's mutual option with the Cubs could essentially mean he's back on their team next season. No need to overpay. You overpay for Griffey, if possible, not Walker.

I don't get what you mean..I went to Espn radio, copy and pasted.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
12 hours from now is 11 o'clock at night ;)

thanks, wasn't sure if you were talking about final rosters for playoffs or deadline.

I wouldn't be shocked if Walker goes to the Sox, at this point there's zero reason for him to be on the Cubs, and Sox need to add some sort of bat to see if it can spark this offense for a little.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
11 PM cst

Welcome to the ESPN Trade Deadline Special.

The Yankees stole the show with the awesome acquistion of JJ Putz.

THe Red Sox picked up future star Julio Franco.

THe Phillies picked up Moose Skowron

before we leave the White Sox picked up Griffey

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
I don't get what you mean..I went to Espn radio, copy and pasted.

A website called White Sox Interactive usually posts predictions of 'Tomorrow's Tribune Headline' and quotes from people below their pictures. Not something which is left to WSI alone, but since you were a new member, I thought you may have been banned from there. Even if you were, as many here were, Soxtalk accepts refugees. :drink

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
A website called White Sox Interactive usually posts predictions of 'Tomorrow's Tribune Headline' and quotes from people below their pictures. Not something which is left to WSI alone, but since you were a new member, I thought you may have been banned from there. Even if you were, as many here were, Soxtalk accepts refugees.  :drink

Oh that is silly...i tell you....just silly

:aussie:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
A website called White Sox Interactive usually posts predictions of 'Tomorrow's Tribune Headline' and quotes from people below their pictures. Not something which is left to WSI alone, but since you were a new member, I thought you may have been banned from there. Even if you were, as many here were, Soxtalk accepts refugees.  :drink

I post sometimes over at WSI, but I find the format hard to use anyway, so whats the use?

Todd Walker has a $2.5M team option for next year and...

A $2.5M-$2.7M vesting player option once he reaches an undisclosed amont of ABs for '05.

I think it's safe to say that seeing how much time he's missed this year that his player option has not vested and most likely will not.

So if the Sox did manage to make a deal for Walker they would have the option of bringing him back here next year for a reasonable amount of money.

I'd absolutely love Walker, he's a very good hitter. There's a few things though: 1. Levine is saying this so it won't happen, 2. Oh boy, here we go, WHERE WOULD HE PLAY. Honestly, I know he can give Tad a rest every now and then but Walker really would be one of our best hitters we'd have to find somewhere for him to play and there really isn't a place to put him.