Ross Gload comments

southsideirish71

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Now explain to me again why sending Gload down and bringing Adkins up was the right move. Can anyone explain this?

Because Ozzie wanted a long reliever so he didn't have to use Viz, Politte, Cotts, Jenks, Marte, and Hermanson too much. That is the right decision if you ask me. Gload's numbers were impressive....IN THE MINORS!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)

Trust me, I know Gload's a better hitter than Timo. However, it's become 100 percent obvious that Ozzie is more comfortable with Timo on the team than Gload. There's no reason to argue about this fact anymore. Once a manager rewards a player for being in a 4-40 slump by putting him in the 5th spot and leadoff spot in the same week, it's time to stop trying to think rationally.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
Trust me, I know Gload's a better hitter than Timo.  However, it's become 100 percent obvious that Ozzie is more comfortable with Timo on the team than Gload.  There's no reason to argue about this fact anymore.  Once a manager rewards a player for being in a 4-40 slump by putting him in the 5th spot and leadoff spot in the same week, it's time to stop trying to think rationally.

Agree 100%.

I know we're not supposed to use personal attacks around here, but it is hard to see how Ozzie does not have some sort of weird favortism going for Timo. Very weird.

:huh

Now explain to me again why sending Gload down and bringing Adkins up was the right move. Can anyone explain this?

Yeah, I can ... for the 20th time, and I'll probably have to do it for the 21st time because you keep going back to numbers and splits and everything else that doesn't matter in this instance.

Let me try this slowly ...

They wanted a 12th pitcher

JUST IN CASE

it was necessary

to have a guy

eat some innings

if one or more of the starters couldn't go deep into a game.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Agree 100%. 

I know we're not supposed to use personal attacks around here, but it is hard to see how Ozzie does not have some sort of weird favortism going for Timo.  Very weird.

:huh

Ozzie likes Timo because he comes up with big hits time and time again, it's really that simple.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
Ohhh poor Ross Gload...

Seriously he was down in the minors because his defense sucks. Simple as that. On a team built on pitching and defense you can't have a suspect glove covering at first...

He should of been up as a DH maybe but I can imagine why they wouldn't want to carry such a one demensional player around...

And you wonder why you have 0 credibility on this board?

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Yeah, I can ... for the 20th time, and I'll probably have to do it for the 21st time because you keep going back to numbers and splits and everything else that doesn't matter in this instance.

Let me try this slowly ...

They wanted a 12th pitcher

JUST IN CASE

it was necessary

to have a guy

eat some innings

if one or more of the starters couldn't go deep into a game.

But that lame idea evaporated the day they sent Gload down when Everett pulled his groin.

Adkins didn't even "eat" any innings until his last game, after a month of losses when it was pretty clear from day 1 we needed an extra bat.

Face it, it was the wrong decision, and it probably cost us a couple of games. Thankfully we had a 15 game lead at one point.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
But that lame idea evaporated the day they sent Gload down when Everett pulled his groin. 

Adkins didn't even "eat" any innings until his last game, after a month of losses when it was pretty clear from day 1 we needed an extra bat. 

Face it, it was the wrong decision, and it probably cost us a couple of games.  Thankfully we had a 15 game lead at one point.

The thing about this is that he was available if he was needed. It just so happens that he wasn't. If a situation occured, it could have put the bullpen in bad shape without Adkins around. So no, that idea was not lame.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
The thing about this is that he was available if he was needed.  It just so happens that he wasn't.  If a situation occured, it could have put the bullpen in bad shape without Adkins around.  So no, that idea was not lame.

That's why they call it an insurance policy, some people for some reason can not grasp this concept.

Face it, it was the wrong decision, and it probably cost us a couple of games.  Thankfully we had a 15 game lead at one point.

Once again, you missed the "just in case" part. Not what actually happened. It was the absolute right decision if their motive was to have a 12th pitcher just in case, nor did it cost them a couple of games because your premise is based on an assumption that Gload would've delivered. I know of no crystal ball that assures a guy will hit.

But I don't think you understand, so let's leave it alone.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Once again, you missed the "just in case" part.  Not what actually happened.  It was the absolute right decision if their motive was to have a 12th pitcher just in case, nor did it cost them a couple of games because your premise is based on an assumption that Gload would've delivered.  I know of no crystal ball that assures a guy will hit.

But I don't think you understand, so let's leave it alone.

I understand perfectly, I just think it was a terrible decision. We played a whole lot of August with only 12 healthy position players, not the 14 who had helped us to baseball's best record.

And for those of you defending Adkins, you do realize that he essentially blew two of the games in which he pitched. We had Vizcaino to fill that job, and he would have liked the work!!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
I understand perfectly, I just think it was a terrible decision.  We played a whole lot of August with only 12 healthy position players, not the 14 who had helped us to baseball's best record. 

And for those of you defending Adkins, you do realize that he essentially blew two of the games in which he pitched.  We had Vizcaino to fill that job, and he would have liked the work!!

Viz can throw 2 innings. Adkins can throw 6+.

I understand perfectly, I just think it was a terrible decision.  We played a whole lot of August with only 12 healthy position players, not the 14 who had helped us to baseball's best record. 

And for those of you defending Adkins, you do realize that he essentially blew two of the games in which he pitched.  We had Vizcaino to fill that job, and he would have liked the work!!

I guess I will have to slow down again.

No one is defending Adkins. Please read thru the posts, no one ever defended Adkins, he is a borderline major leaguer at best.

This is not about choosing Adkins over Gload.

That is not the issue.

The issue was having the safety net.

That safety net was an extra pitcher,

in case

he was needed to work a few innings.

Adkins warmed up a bunch of times and also worked a few innings in his stint, which helped keep the rest of the bullpen fresh.

The team is built around pitching, you saw that again today in Boston.

It makes sense now, and it did make sense then, that you do everything you can to keep your bullpen fresh in the dog days of August.

That is more important than having an extra hitter who would have gotten the odd start here or there.

Why is this so hard to grasp? Everyone else seems to get it.

You know what, forget it, I apologize.

This is completely fruitless trying to drill this point home. They did what they did, they did it for a good reason, the team survived a rough stretch without MVP candidate Ross Gload, and they did it with pitching.

So forget I even mentioned anything, because it really doesn't matter, it's over with.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
Timo is a major contributor in the clubhouse, there is no denying that.

Did anyone watch the ESPN broadcast... Those two clown announcers were listing guys that Timo had but under his wing and one of them said Damaso Marte... Doesn't Marte actually have more experience then Timo... I mean he's hardly just some kid...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Did anyone watch the ESPN broadcast... Those two clown announcers were listing guys that Timo had but under his wing and one of them said Damaso Marte... Doesn't Marte actually have more experience then Timo... I mean he's hardly just some kid...

Timo has more major league experience. I gotta be honest, I knock Timo and I think Ozzie uses him too much (thats my major problem with Timo) but from what I do know he's very well liked in the clubhouse and has gelled with a lot of the latin players.

He's also a pretty heady ballplayer, despite how I cringe every time he tries to catch the ball.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I still say Timo could be a .300 hitter if he wasn't so lazy 70 % of the time... Instead he chooses to be "clutch"...

It's not laziness, it's lack of AB's. Each dot on the chart represents Timo's batting average against the number of at-bats he had that year. I inserted the line of best fit.

timograph7gn.th.png

Numbers don't lie. ;)