Gio

False Alarm

nice piece.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.--High Class A Winston-Salem has seen some impressive arms this season, and the Warthogs currently have the best rotation in the Carolina League with righthander Lance Broadway and lefthanders Gio Gonzalez and Ray Liotta.

Liotta and Gonzalez have both put up big numbers in the CL this season, and Broadway comes with the pedigree of being the White Sox' first-round pick in this year's draft.

Gonzalez, though, has the most helium of the three. And that assessment came from two scouts from American League clubs Thursday--after the 19-year-old lefty sent Kinston down in order after the first inning as he showed off an explosive 93 mph fastball, hammer curve and a late-diving changeup.

"If (Liotta and Broadway) are any better than this, then they'd have to be out of this world," said one scout.

Gonzalez, a first-rounder out of Monsignor Pace High in Miami in 2004, only got better from there, locating his fastball and curveball to both sides of the plate and then sporadically using his changeup for an overpowering mix during the Warthogs' 6-1 win.

"This is the best I've seen him," the scout said. "When I saw him earlier in the year he couldn't find the plate. But he's just on a different plane than everyone around him now. We're getting a clinic on what it's like to live in 0-2 city."

Gonzalez works quickly, and consistently got ahead of hitters until the sixth, when he seemed to tire slightly and lost some command. But any signs of wear were dismissed in the seventh, as he came back to hit 93 three more times in his final inning of work.

In all, Gonzalez allowed a run on four hits and struck out six, with his fastball sitting at 90-93 and topping out at 94 mph. He feasted on Kinston hitters by attacking the inner half of the plate, then freezing them by painting the black on the outside, or dropping in a changeup to get them swinging out in front.

While he doesn't have a powerful build at 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, Gonzalez still has big stuff late in the season, a positive sign for his durability. He just threw 65 innings in his pro debut last season but has made 23 starts this season, though he missed time with tightness in his lower back with Kannapolis and with tightness in his shoulder while with the Warthogs.

He started out the year at low Class A Kannapolis, where he went 5-3, 1.87 in 58 innings. Since being promoted to Winston-Salem, Gonzalez is 8-3, 3.56 in 73 innings.

And in those 131 innings overall, he's amassed a 163-47 strikeout-walk ratio.

"This kid is only 19 years old?" was the rhetorical question asked by Indians farm director John Farrell, who was on hand to see the Kinston club. "Unbelievable."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/050902dish.html

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
He might get invited to spring training but he definitely has no shot to make the team next year.  What is a realistic goal and possibility is him starting for double A which would be very advanced for a kid his age.

I think they'll start him out in high A again, if he dominates the first month or so, there's a very good chance they'll move him to B-ham. I just don't want to see him rushed. With Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, B-mac, and one of Jose/El Duque, there's no need to rush the kid.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
He reminds me of Pedro. Realistically, how far away is this guy? Could he be like Hernandez (Seattle) and get a call up next year, or even get invited to spring training?

He's probably another 2 years away, but he's got perhaps the most upside to any of our pitchers in the minors at the moment. I really rate him highly, I think he's right on the bubble in our top 3 prospects behind McCarthy and Young and around with Anderson.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
He's probably another 2 years away, but he's got perhaps the most upside to any of our pitchers in the minors at the moment. I really rate him highly, I think he's right on the bubble in our top 3 prospects behind McCarthy and Young and around with Anderson.

That's awesome! If he adds a few more mph to that fastball over the next two years, he's going to be wicked. Mid to hi-90s heater with that change up? :headbang

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
That's awesome! If he adds a few more mph to that fastball over the next two years, he's going to be wicked. Mid to hi-90s heater with that change up?  :headbang

They're not even his best pitches, he's got a Zito like curve, which is gonna be huge if he makes it. Really got high hopes for him. :)

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
He seems to suffer from a lot of tightness, though. A future "injury prone" guy?

This is his first full season of pro ball...I'd expect him to adjust. Remember, this kid didn't even play the whole season of high school ball his senior year because of some shenanigans between his mom, his brother and the coach.

I didn't know his fastball had gotten up into the low 90's. That's more than adequate if he's got a plus curve like he does and can develop a plus change. I'd rather seem him add a cut fastball and work on locating his fastball than getting 2-3 mph on his heater. If he can have the command to walk fewer than 2.5 hitters per 9 in the majors, his curve/heater/change combo will really carry him to be a top of the rotation starter. If he walks 3.5, he'll be a back/end of the rotation guy.

I'm starting to wonder if BA is hyping velocity again here. They seem to indicate that he can get it up to the mid 90's with ease if he needs to. Not saying he pitches consistently there.

I've heard he still has a lot of work left on his chaneup, but that it has the potential to turn into a 3rd good pitch. He's supposed to get a lot of movement on his FB and his hook is nasty.

I'm still going to take a wait and see approach because he doesn't have what you call an effortless delivery and could be one of those guys you project to have injuries and durability issues. However, its not like he's totally skinny either.

One thing he seems to have is the intangibles of pitching. I've heard a lot of things about his poise and maturity on the mound and how much it impresses opposing managers and scouts.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Didn't see it posted, a little disturbing;  :ph34r:

Yep. 3rd time this year he's missed time with various pulls, strains or discomfort. This is the kind of worry about a smaller guy with a high-effort delivery.

Hopefully nothing significant.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Is it possible in a few years to have almost our entire pitching staff comprised of homegrown talent other than Garland?

MB, Garland, BMAC, Gio, Liotta?

not to mention the other arms that have a shot, Haig, Haeger, Broadway, etc

wouldn't that build KW's legacy...

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
wouldn't that build KW's legacy...

I see no reason to deal any of these guys in the upcoming future, but we are going to have to get rid of some of them due to log jam. Is it possible that when these guys are ready, we will deal Mark or Garland?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm still going to take a wait and see approach because he doesn't have what you call an effortless delivery and could be one of those guys you project to have injuries and durability issues.  However, its not like he's totally skinny either. 

With that said is there more of a chance he ends up in the bullpen??

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Is it possible in a few years to have almost our entire pitching staff comprised of homegrown talent other than Garland?

MB, Garland, BMAC, Gio, Liotta?

Liotta has to...

a.) Start pitching around his fielder's mistakes a little better. 13 unearned runs is a little high...

and

b.) Start striking some more guys out, or walking less guys, 'cause his 2.8 K/BB ratio leaves a lot to be desired.

That being said, he must be doing something right to have an ERA around 2.00 this year in A-ball. I'm just a little more reserved on him...

Did something push your button, Danman???? :P

LOL, yes the K/BB is a good indicator, but your point is valid! It's dang too early to tell regarding Liotta's K factor. The guy just get people out. That's good enough for me.

Hey, maybe that'll be a new t-shirt!

Imagine....a picture of Liotta in the pitching stance, and the blurb underneath says "I just get people out".

Priceless........