Bad BMac blessing in disguise ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Whatever happened...all I can think about is this...

We have a kid that just took the best power hitting lineup and the best overall lineup in baseball and totally shut both of them down for 14 2/3 innings. 5 hits total, 0 runs.

This kid will be making $400,000 or so next year. And if he can do this...he's got a shot at winning 15 or more. Salary flexibility...thy name is McCarthy.

We'll have him around for years at a cheap price. In a few years, we may very well have a Buehrle, Garland, McCarthy, Gonzalez, etc. rotation. And no one in baseball will be hitting it.

Whatever happened...thank God we didn't mortgage this kid for some free agent to be.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Supposedly BMac was on KW's untouchables list. So he was not going to be traded anyway.

That's a good thing bcoz next year, we can still have one of the best rotation next year with Mark, Freddy, Jon, BMAC and Count/Duque. :gosoxretro:

If i'm KW i'm seriously considering leaving El Duque off the playoff roster... Make him like the Count's personal pitching coach or something... Seriously if BMAC keeps this up Orlando will be out of a job next year...

Ohh and to whoever thinks that we should keep El Duque instead of Count.... Why on earth wouldn't you want to keep the guy who's stayed healthy... at least you know with El Duque that theres always a willing trade partner in the Yankees for him... Besides that Count has the stuff to dominate teams, El Duque has to rely on his brains but even then the stuff sometimes just isn't there to back him up...

BMAC.... YES!!!!

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
If i'm KW i'm seriously considering leaving El Duque off the playoff roster... Make him like the Count's personal pitching coach or something... Seriously if BMAC keeps this up Orlando will be out of a job next year...

I really wonder how well El Duque would handle working as a long relief pitcher...if memory serves, at least 1 or 2 guys in our bullpen (Viz included) are free agents after this year.

Yeah, he'd have to warm his arm up more often to pitch from the bullpen, but there'd be a much lighter workload per outing.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)

Ohh and to whoever thinks that we should keep El Duque instead of Count.... Why on earth wouldn't you want to keep the guy who's stayed healthy... at least you know with El Duque that theres always a willing trade partner in the Yankees for him... Besides that Count has the stuff to dominate teams, El Duque has to rely on his brains but even then the stuff sometimes just isn't there to back him up...

BMAC.... YES!!!!

You are forgetting one big thing, Jeckle. That's post-season experience and DuQue's knack for stepping up in big games. Ok, that's two things, but I put less importance on that big game thing.

BMac has been totally awesome, but I just don't know about sending a 22 year old rookie out there with the whole season on the line. I'd have to think long and hard about that move.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)

BMAC.... YES!!!!

The main reason they brought Duque over was for his experience in the post-season. No way in hell they would even consider leaving him off the playoff roster.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
I'm in total awe of this kid right now.  14 2/3 shutout innings against the two best offenses in the American League,  ON THE ROAD.  The Marlins better hope they can resign Burnett,  or else they're gonna look awfully foolish.

It wasn't the Marlins that put the kabosh on the trade, I think the Sox backed away when they realized Burnett didn't want to resign here.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
The main reason they brought Duque over was for his experience in the post-season.  No way in hell they would even consider leaving him off the playoff roster.

Ozzie will ride the hot hand. If Duque struggles down the stretch and Brandon pitches like he has since being recalled, it will be a no doubter in my book.

All that said, I don't think Duque will stink. I also don't think Duque will be making any starts, unless the match-ups favor it. Things could change though, Count could get shelled his next couple starts and Duque could be the favorite. Who knows.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Whatever happened...all I can think about is this...

We have a kid that just took the best power hitting lineup and the best overall lineup in baseball and totally shut both of them down for 14 2/3 innings.  5 hits total, 0 runs.

This kid will be making $400,000 or so next year.  And if he can do this...he's got a shot at winning 15 or more.  Salary flexibility...thy name is McCarthy.

We'll have him around for years at a cheap price.  In a few years, we may very well have a Buehrle, Garland, McCarthy, Gonzalez, etc. rotation.  And no one in baseball will be hitting it.

Whatever happened...thank God we didn't mortgage this kid for some free agent to be.

I agree. See my "Don't Trade Brandon McCarthy" thread in the Trade Winds section.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Ozzie will ride the hot hand.  If Duque struggles down the stretch and Brandon pitches like he has since being recalled, it will be a no doubter in my book. 

All that said, I don't think Duque will stink.  I also don't think Duque will be making any starts, unless the match-ups favor it.  Things could change though, Count could get shelled his next couple starts and Duque could be the favorite.  Who knows.

You could be right. But still, there's no way he would be left off the playoff roster. That's all i'm saying.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
You could be right.  But still,  there's no way he would be left off the playoff roster.  That's all i'm saying.

Remember, while I gave Duque his due when he had a few nice starts a couple weeks ago I have been pretty much bashing the move since day one. I'm not a Duque fan and I don't have much faith in him when he goes out. At the same time I've long supported Contreras (well this season). He's shown me a lot and overall I've been impressed (even though he can frustrate the heck out of ya).

2003 - A 23 year old Josh Beckett steps up and wins WS MVP for the World Champ Marlins.

1997 - A 22 year old Livan Hernadez stups up and wins WS MVP for the World Champ Marlins.

It's happened before where a very young pitcher plays expectionally well in the postseason, including the World Series. Hernandez was a rookie with 17 career GS and Beckett was a second year player.

McCarthy is not as good as he will be (barring a major injury, natch) in a couple of years when he's not a rail, but hopefully his recent brilliance against offensive juggernauts in their house will shut the "why do Sox waste time withthese finesse types when they can be loading up on flame-throwing projects" peanut gallery heard from so often earlier in the year. Just wait until they see another "soft-tosser" Gio a couple of years from now... I hear Haigwood and Broadway aren't that hopeless, either ;)

As for Cincy/Lindner/Griffey... f*** them, hard. :finger :lol:

Edited by Yeast Confection

I see no reason why we shouldnt try El Duque in the pen. Hermy is hurt and we need another quality arm in there. El Duque only gets in trouble when his mind is not in the game. Brining him in for late game situations may trigger that "clutch" aspect of his game, no to mention really set up the batters for k's vs Jenks. I think the El Duque could be a set-up man/closer for another team next year, as his age is becoming a factor, and he has lapses of concentration.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
So, we're gonna give the ball to a rookie who has had 2 good starts and zero playoff experience over a veteran who has a pretty good post season record?

I don't see us doing either.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
So, we're gonna give the ball to a rookie who has had 2 good starts and zero playoff experience over a veteran who has a pretty good post season record?

The question is, when was he effective in the postseason.

El Duque postseason

pre-2000 5-0 1.02 ERA

2000-now 4-3 4.03 ERA