You have to send Marte home for the year

White Sox Josh

if they don't suspend him for the rest of the season it sends the wrong message. Bobby Jenks was late for personal reasons. I think you have to discipline him severley and give the guys in that clubhouse the message that you are behind him 100%. Also they should get the message that if you ever leave early or show up late you will be disciplined. Plus if i were a teamate of his i would be furious with Marte.

Josh we are not in the clubhouse, we don't know the full story, nor do we know how things have been handled.

Remember there's that small issue of the Players Association too.

And immediately weaken the depth of one of the best bullpens in the league. Whether Damaso is struggling or not, he's an above average pitcher that has played by the rules for the most part. As far as I know, he's not a clubhouse cancer, and as long as his left arm can still pop it at 94 MPH, it would be foolish to suspend him for the rest of the year. If the Sox need a message, take a look at Carlos Lee. s*** happens, he was late...discipline him and move on. No need to throw gas on the fire.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
And immediately weaken the depth of one of the best bullpens in the league. Whether Damaso is struggling or not, he's an above average pitcher that has played by the rules for the most part. As far as I know, he's not a clubhouse cancer, and as long as his left arm can still pop it at 94 MPH, it would be foolish to suspend him for the rest of the year.  If the Sox need a message, take a look at Carlos Lee. s*** happens, he was late...discipline him and move on. No need to throw gas on the fire.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:notworthy

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
And immediately weaken the depth of one of the best bullpens in the league. Whether Damaso is struggling or not, he's an above average pitcher that has played by the rules for the most part. As far as I know, he's not a clubhouse cancer, and as long as his left arm can still pop it at 94 MPH, it would be foolish to suspend him for the rest of the year.  If the Sox need a message, take a look at Carlos Lee. s*** happens, he was late...discipline him and move on. No need to throw gas on the fire.

Mmmmmm....sweet sweet rational thinking...(drooling noises)

Edited by Balta1701

Even if he was late for a 100% selfish reason, I don't think the rest of the season is fair punishment. I can see a reasonable fine and suspension, but if this was an isolated incident I don't think the whole season is fair.

I know I've made some dumb mistakes in my life, and I appreciate that people have seen them for what they were, isolated mistakes, and given me an opportunity to attone. If Marte keeps pushing the envelope, then yeah, get rid of him, but for now I hope they act rationally.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
if they don't suspend him for the rest of the season it sends the wrong message.  Bobby Jenks was late for personal reasons.  I think you have to discipline him severley and give the guys in that clubhouse the message that you are behind him 100%.  Also they should get the message that if you ever leave early or show up late you will be disciplined.  Plus if i were a teamate of his i would be furious with Marte.

So next time you are late to class, the school should expel you for the rest of the year? Or next time I am late for work, my job should send me home until January? That's a bit of cutting off your nose to spite your face, me thinks.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
that was an excused personal reason.

you don't know the whole story for this, none of us do. so until you do, there's no reason to start a thread like this.

Marte has been below his average, yes.......but why exactly should we cut an above average left handed reliever again? no, seriously, answer this.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
you don't know the whole story for this, none of us do.  so until you do, there's no reason to start a thread like this.

Marte has been below his average, yes.......but why exactly should we cut an above average left handed reliever again?  no, seriously, answer this.

If it were Bobby Jenks who showed up late, there's no way in hell this thread is started.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
if they don't suspend him for the rest of the season it sends the wrong message.  Bobby Jenks was late for personal reasons.  I think you have to discipline him severley and give the guys in that clubhouse the message that you are behind him 100%.  Also they should get the message that if you ever leave early or show up late you will be disciplined.  Plus if i were a teamate of his i would be furious with Marte.

Pff....you've never hesitated to display any displeasure with Marte and the first time he shows up late you think he should be gone?

You have no idea what the deal was. For all you know someone slashed his tires.

So if your mancrush Avant showed up late to a Michigan game he should be gone for the season? GMAFB

Edited by Heads22

Marte might suck right now, but I feel a lot more comfortable with him on the roster than off of the roster. Remember how much it sucked when Walker was our 2nd lefty out of the bullpen? David Sanders hasn't exactly impressed so far. I hope Marte takes a few days to just step away from the game, breathe, and regroup for the rest of the season. I guarantee he'll be on the mound again in a crucial situation.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
Pff....you've never hesitated to display any displeasure with Marte and the first time he shows up late you think he should be gone?

You have no idea what the deal was. For all you know someone slashed his tires.

So if your mancrush Avant showed up late to a Michigan game he should be gone for the season? GMAFB

yeah. I would.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
im probably overreacting a bit.  It just pisses me off so much to see this kind of crap going on though.  They get paid a lot of money and this crap happens.  It would be a dream come true for me if i were able to play in the MLB.  I think they should treat it like that.

You're not overreacing a bit. You're overreacting a s***load.

You don't even know what happened, what do you have to be upset about?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
You're not overreacing a bit. You're overreacting a s***load.

You don't even know what happened, what do you have to be upset about?

because these guys don't realize what they have. If i ever showed up late to work i would be fired if this was without an excuse. THey are playing a KIDS game.

im probably overreacting a bit.  It just pisses me off so much to see this kind of crap going on though.  They get paid a lot of money and this crap happens.  It would be a dream come true for me if i were able to play in the MLB.  I think they should treat it like that.

Josh I think the guy has been punished and they should leave it at that.

I doubt they'd get away with suspending him for the rest of the regular season, the Players Association would be all over that, either in public or behind the scenes.

Besides, I think they are sufficiently frustrated with Marte that he'll be traded this offseason, assuming they can land another lefty reliever.