Scott Podsednik

Chisoxrd5

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
The thing is who replaces Pods as the top of the lineup? I agree that Rowand is good if you've got power players surrounding him in the OF but at the moment we don't. Pods has got 1 year left on his deal at just over a million IIRC.

And that's why he's not going anywhere.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I've been one of his biggest supporters all season. He was arguably the offensive MVP of the first half and his ability to steal bases ignited and undoubtly changed the whole mentality of the offense from station to station HR ball to a more fundamental approach to scoring runs (moving over the runner, etc).

His value as the White Sox LF is and always has been tied to his SB's and OBP. If you look at the second half of the season both of these crucial statistics are on the decline. He is no longer having as many quality at bats (note that his walks are down slightly and his OPB is down .033 from the first half). As we all have noted he is unable to steal bases at the same clip.

G AB  R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS   
Pre All Star    74 282 50 83 14 0 0 17 34 41 44 9 .294 .369 .344 .713   
Post All-Star   40 163 24 46 12 1 0 7 10 26 12 12 .282 .326 .368 .694  

Now, I understand he was injured and in fact still looks a little gimpy out there now. If he is still slightly injured and it is indeed hampering his ability to steal bases should he be on the field? Probably not. A speedy leftfielder who has no power and plays average defensively is not a valuable asset when you take away the stolen base. His throwing arm has been exploited a few times in the past week and his routes to flyballs has been described as poor by numerous posters on this site.

So this brings me to my question. Do we stick with him because he got us to where we are today? Or do we use Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard and yes, TIMO PEREZ in LF. Brian Anderson single handedly won us a game in Seattle and Joe B is 3-3 since rejoining the team. I did also look at Scotty's stats against Cleveland (.324 avg, 9/10 in SBs in 10 games) so he has been a catalyst against them. But I ask you, is this the same Scotty Pods that played against the Indians in April and June?

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

:o

Thanks!! I'll keep that in mind...

QUOTE(alexgtp @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Why is this even being discussed?

He is a catalyst and he is still hitting.

It's being discussed because he is 12/24 since the AS break in stolen bases and is not doing the job in left field.

If he fixed both of those problems, then instantly the complaints would disappear.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Of course not...did you not look at Pods stats in September?  He is doing great.  If the Everetts, and Dyes, and AJs turned it up, we might have something.  And Ozzie, quit taking TAGUCHI out of the lineup.

Pods' job is not only to get on base, but to get steals and score runs. He hasn't done that. Right now, he's the crappiest .300 hitter(for the month of sept) in baseball. Getting on base for him just means he's prolonging the out. Don't make a difference if you get on base and they make an out opposed to making an out at the plate.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
Pods' job is not only to get on base, but to get steals and score runs. He hasn't done that. Right now, he's the crappiest .300 hitter(for the month of sept) in baseball. Getting on base for him just means he's prolonging the out. Don't make a difference if you get on base and they make an out opposed to making an out at the plate.

While he's truggling on the basepath, the field and When he comes up with men on with his 23 rbis I know he's not coming through. Think about it with men on and when we need an rbi who do want not pods. Remember he doesn't lead off every innning............. :chair

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Leadoff position in the AL isn't too important, in my opinion.  The only time it's important is if you have a superstar like Vlad in the 3rd spot.  Rather, with the likely team we'll put on the field, we need offensive balance throughout.

Well of course last year we had Willie Harris leading off, and most people remembered the complaints on him even though he had an OBP of around .340. And I disagree that it isn't too important, most of the good offenses genreally have a good leadoff hitter, and KW thought it was really important to get a good one in the off-season.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)

Pods has had 66 AB's with runners in scoring position. In those 66 AB's, he has 23 RBI. (an RBI every 2.87 AB's, which isnt bad)

In 33 AB's with RISP and 2 outs, Pods has 8 hits and 8 RBI, amounting to a .303 average.

In 26 AB's with a man on second, Pods is hitting a remarkable .385 with 6 RBI.

Considering the fact that he hasnt had many AB's in these situations, he's doing well getting the people home when he has to.

And yes, I know that he is hitless with the bases loaded, so no need to point that out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
How ironic is it that last year, we struggled all season for a leadoff hitter, so we traded Carlos Lee, our number 3 hitter.  Now, this season, we've basically struggled all year to find a number 3 hitter?

Thank You! Ur pretty much saying Carl Everett sucks. Ur the first person thats agreed with me. I think its time for some prospects to get a crack at the DH spot at least next year. My candidates would be , Casey Rogowski, Brian Anderson, or Chris Young. :gosox3:

So we sit the key to our offense to put in Borchard? Not exactly smart.. especially when he is hitting .360 in September..

Remember when he went on the DL? Remember how we did when that happened? I, personally, dont want to go through that again.

So we sit the key to our offense to put in Borchard?  Not exactly smart.. especially when he is hitting .360 in September..

Remember when he went on the DL?  Remember how we did when that happened?  I, personally, dont want to go through that again.

Remember how we slumped when he came back? Like now!

I'm wondering how he picked up Konerko's speed all of a sudden.

QUOTE(Rich McKinney @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
Remember how we slumped when he came back? Like now!

I'm wondering how he picked up Konerko's speed all of a sudden.

Remember the 7 game winning streak when he came back?

He didn't pick up Konerko's speed, but he's still hurting and he's lost a step. He should get the stop sign on the base paths unless we're hitting and running. He's still the fastest guy on our team other than Harris, but he's not healthy enough to be a huge base stealer right now.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
Thank You! Ur pretty much saying Carl Everett sucks. Ur the first person thats agreed with me. I think its time for some prospects to get a crack at the DH spot at least next year. My candidates would be , Casey Rogowski, Brian Anderson, or Chris Young. :gosox3:

Personally...in my crazy head, I wouldn't mind seeing the option not picked up on Everett and Timo shipped off, and in exchange we give Borchard and Anderson their roster spots. That way we at least don't lose Borchard next year, given how much we've invested in him, and we save a ton on paying Everett. Besides, KW will probably trade for Everett mid-season anyway.