Cleveland @ Chicago 7:05

letsgoarow

Amen tony. Just saw on ESPN sports center the Sox are 90-58. That is simply amazing a team with that kind of record could ultimately be considered one of the biggest choke teams in history if not the biggest.

It just goes to show what a wild sport baseball really is.

90-58 and we are close to being laughingstocks.

GO SOX, BEAT CLEVE!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
I am going tommorrow, and since freddy has been on the sox i have been to 9 games when he pitched...the sox record....0-9...lets change that this time

Nine times!?!? How can you even bring yourself to the ballpark to see him pitch a tenth? Can you maybe arrive during the bottom of the 1st? There might be some cash in it for you if Freddy shuts em down in the top of that inning.

"We'd have 10,000 a lot of nights in Chicago [and] they were loud and a great 10,000, but outside of that little loyal bunch, fan support there stinks," Howry said of Sox crowds that average 17th in the league at 28,692. "It's brutal. You have a team that for the longest time had the best record in baseball and a team that's been in first place by a huge margin all year long, and you can't pull fan support?"

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
"We'd have 10,000 a lot of nights in Chicago [and] they were loud and a great 10,000, but outside of that little loyal bunch, fan support there stinks," Howry said of Sox crowds that average 17th in the league at 28,692. "It's brutal. You have a team that for the longest time had the best record in baseball and a team that's been in first place by a huge margin all year long, and you can't pull fan support?"

I'd like to believe this could be used as bulletin board material. Except the White Sox probably agree with Bob Howry.

You wonder what exactly led to Howry commenting on our attendance. Is that typically a question a Cleveland journalist would ask? I doubt it. Who else is as concerned about attendance as our own Chicago media? I'm willing to bet a Chicago Tribune employee covering the Indians before their arrival to Chicago decided to catch up with him and print another attendance angle. I'm so sick of hearing about it. Of ALL the questions to bring up, you have to ask a former White Sox player "How do you feel about the lack of support concerning the White Sox?"

BTW, I figured it's going to be a tall task for the White Sox to clinch at home. At this point I'll be happy with a clinch anywhere, but I thought some would be interested in what it would take.

1. Scenario #1: win, at the least, 2/3 against the Indians. Bring the magic number down to seven. Sweep Minnesota. Hope Indians lose 3/4 against KC.

2. Scenario #2: Sweep Indians. Bring the magic number down to five. Win 2/4 against Minnesota. Hope Indians lose 2/4 against KC. Or, if Minnesota somehow handles us 3 losses, pray Indians lose 3/4 against the KC.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
So let me get this straight, the Indians have been red hot for what, maybe a month?  maybe 6 weeks? The Sox were hot for 4 months, have a 10-3 record against the Tribe and swept them coming into the 2nd half, have a 3 game lead in the division and it's the SOX who should be nervous??? Don't let the press or this Indian's team get in your head.  Handle Business.

Right on!!!

Garcia usually steps it up against good teams. I like the matchups. I like the series.

I'm over here in India on business, and I hold my breath every morning when I log on at the office to see if the Sox won. That little score makes or breaks my mood that morning (I hate to admit :unsure: ).

So for the sake of the Indians around me who could care less... GO SOX!!!

:gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1:

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)

f*** Bob Howry. If Chicago fans are so great, what are Indians fans who are 24th in attendance drawing 4000 less fans a night, with no second option to go see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Indians fans are the biggest bandwagon fans there are. There attendance fell 50% in two years after they quit winning. Try looking in the mirror before you speak, idiot.

I'll be there tonight and tomorrow...(nevermind the fact that the Sox have lost nine straight games with me in attendance :ph34r: ) I have a good feeling about tonight :D :crying

Freddy will be fine as long as he can keep the Indians in the park. Hafner kills the ball off of Freddy Garcia. Our offense has seen Millwood a few times and hopefully will suprise us all with 3 runs in the first inning....

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
f*** Bob Howry.  If Chicago fans are so great, what are Indians fans who are 24th in attendance drawing 4000 less fans a night, with no second option to go see.

Indians fans are the biggest bandwagon fans there are.  There attendance fell 50% in two years after they quit winning.  Try looking in the mirror before you speak, idiot.

EXACTLY, I guess the allure of the new park wore off quickly. Watch them pack the house for the last series against the Sox though.

Food for thought....

This series is going to be a lot of fun. I would have preferred the Sox having an easier time in locking up a post-season spot - but they have yet to play a meaningful game this season because they got off to such a hot start. This will test their mettle and we'll find out if they are in fact a playoff/championship calibur team. Going into this series with a tight win and a series victory is a good thing. To me the Sox only need to remember a few things and forget everything the media is spewing:

- The Sox lead the division (and the Wild Card technically), the pressure is not on them to keep pace - just to play like the division leader. To hear the media tell it, you would think it is Sox that are chasing the Indians.

- The Sox have won 90 games and have the best record in the AL, you don't accomplish this by being a lousy team. The media paints the Sox as if they are a 72 win team pretending to be a 90 game winner. They have won 90 - there is no pretending.

- The Sox own the Indians. 10 -3 this season. Even though they are playing better of late, 13 games will certainly tell you enough about what your opponents strengths and weaknesses are.

- Matchup Point #1: The Sox need to pitch the Indians as they have in the past (Garcia 2-0 1.71; Buehrle 2-0 2.11; Garland 2-0 2.84). Against Sox pitching, the Indians have only two regulars hitting over .260 - Crisp and Sizemore.

- Matchup Point #2: The Indians pitching against the Sox is not even close. Milwood has the only repectable number with a 1.29 ERA but an 0-2 record. No other starter has an ERA under 4.50. The Sox have three players that hit over .300 against the Indians - Podsednik, Konerko, Rowand, and Everett hits close to .280.

- Matchup Point #3: Bullpen - Indians Bullpen: ONLY Betancourt and Tadano have ERAs UNDER 3 vs. the Sox. Sox Bullpen: ONLY Vizcaino has an ERA OVER 3 vs. the Indians.

The Indians will hit lousy pitching - but they are vulnerable against good pitching. The pitching is what will decide this series.

The only thing the Sox should be thinking is this: Play your game - play the game that got you here and you will be fine.

QUOTE(Clarkdog @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
Food for thought....

This series is going to be a lot of fun. I would have preferred the Sox having an easier time in locking up a post-season spot - but they have yet to play a meaningful game this season because they got off to such a hot start. This will test their mettle and we'll find out if they are in fact a playoff/championship calibur team. Going into this series with a tight win and a series victory is a good thing. To me the Sox only need to remember a few things and forget everything the media is spewing:

- The Sox lead the division (and the Wild Card technically), the pressure is not on them to keep pace - just to play like the division leader. To hear the media tell it, you would think it is Sox that are chasing the Indians.

- The Sox have won 90 games and have the best record in the AL, you don't accomplish this by being a lousy team. The media paints the Sox as if they are a 72 win team pretending to be a 90 game winner. They have won 90 - there is no pretending.

- The Sox own the Indians. 10 -3 this season. Even though they are playing better of late, 13 games will certainly tell you enough about what your opponents strengths and weaknesses are.

- Matchup Point #1: The Sox need to pitch the Indians as they have in the past (Garcia 2-0 1.71; Buehrle 2-0 2.11; Garland 2-0 2.84). Against Sox pitching, the Indians have only two regulars hitting over .260 - Crisp and Sizemore.

- Matchup Point #2: The Indians pitching against the Sox is not even close. Milwood has the only repectable number with a 1.29 ERA but an 0-2 record. No other starter has an ERA under 4.50. The Sox have three players that hit over .300 against the Indians - Podsednik, Konerko, Rowand, and Everett hits close to .280.

- Matchup Point #3: Bullpen - Indians Bullpen: ONLY Betancourt and Tadano have ERAs UNDER 3 vs. the Sox. Sox Bullpen: ONLY Vizcaino has an ERA OVER 3 vs. the Indians.

The Indians will hit lousy pitching - but they are vulnerable against good pitching. The pitching is what will decide this series.

The only thing the Sox should be thinking is this: Play your game - play the game that got you here and you will be fine.

EXACTLY, it's mostly mental now and all about belief. There is no reason to s*** your pants against the Tribe, no matter how badly the media and all the bitter haters want to see it. I'd like to see Ozzie loosen up again. What happened to the jokester in the dugout? When was the last time you saw him smile during a game? If he panics, the team will panic, get uptight and press.

Yes, our Sox have blown a large lead, yes they should be much closer to clinching, yes they've been playing like the North siders, but I do believe it's time to rally and support them!

I believe they can take care of business and we should support their effort, enough whining about bad play, it's time to sack up....us and of course the team.

Here's to the Sox takin' the Indians outback behind the woodshed!

:gosox3:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
f*** Bob Howry.  If Chicago fans are so great, what are Indians fans who are 24th in attendance drawing 4000 less fans a night, with no second option to go see.

Indians fans are the biggest bandwagon fans there are.  There attendance fell 50% in two years after they quit winning.  Try looking in the mirror before you speak, idiot.

most cleveland fans will agree with you on that, at least the smart ones...i have quite a few cleveland fans as friends and they cant believe that the jake is empty every night even how hot the indians are....and and about the last series in cleveland in october is any one going?

GO SOX!!!!!!! SWEEP THE MISTAKE BY THE LAKE!!!!!

:gosoxretro: :gosoxretro: :gosoxretro: :gosoxretro:

f*** Bob Howry. What the hell did he do for the Sox when he was pitching for us, except give up a fat meatballs?

BTW, wouldn't it be great if we sealed up the division this weekend right in front of the Twins?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I hope someone casually posts Howry's words on a bulletin board somewhere in that locker room.

What, right next to Konerko's and Buehrle's? Didn't they hint at the very same thing?

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
f*** Bob Howry.  What the hell did he do for the Sox when he was pitching for us, except give up a fat meatballs?

BTW,  wouldn't it be great if we sealed up the division this weekend right in front of the Twins?

Howry had a few pretty solid seasons for us, before he suffered from some arm injuries. How soon you forget? His comment unfortunately isn't too far from the truth. But I'm not gonna get going down that road again... :D

You're implying that we go on an 8 game win streak then? Because winning every game this week is pretty much the only way we could theoretically clinch by this Sunday. So as nice as it would be, its very unlikely any clinching will be going on while we play the Twins.

Edited by Chisoxrd5