Sox @ Angels - ALCS Game 4

Heads22

IN case y'all missed this

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
On the missed catcher's interference call on Steve Finley, Finley hurt his team.  Here is how.

Catcher's interference is a delayed dead ball situation.  It is not an immediate dead ball.  If called, the team on offense may elect to take the result of the play instead of the penalty of the catcher's interference.

In this situation, as McCarver noted, Finley should have been awarded 1B with the runner on 1B moving to 2B and the runner on 3B staying put since he was not forced home.  The bases would have been loaded with one out.

Alternately, if Finley hustled down the line rather than looking back he would have been safe at 1B.  In that case, the runner from 3B would have scored and the out would have been recorded at 2B for the 2nd out.  The Angels COULD have elected to take that play, giving up the out for the run.  If they chose the interference call, they would have the bases loaded with one out, but they would be taking a run off the board.  No one knows what they would have chosen, but just by hustling Finley could have an RBI and the Angels be down 3-2 at that point and within one run.

Since the call is a delayed dead ball, the umpire should have held his arm straigh out with a closed fist indicating the intereference, but allowing the play to continue to it's completion.  So there was no reason for Finley to look back.  The umpire does not verbalize anything in that situation and the ball is not dead, so Finley's job is to bust his ass down the line. 

Here is why it is important for him to do so.  What happens if Igughi throws the ball into LF, making an error on the play.  By rule, if the batter reaches 1B by hit or error AND all other runners move up one base, the interference is ignored and never becomes an issue.  So in reality, by Finley trying to be the umpire, he cost his team a run. 

Yes the call was missed.  But if he does his job, the Angels score another run there.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
I'm pretty sure I just heard "Thunderstruck" in the stadium when they came back from the commercial.

I got some idiots blasting loud music in my dorm right now so I didn't hear it but I did hear it yesterday during the game.

I respectfully disagree.  The best chance the Angels have of coming back in this game is with a couple of walks leading up to an extra base hit.  I'd rather go with the guys who we can trust won't have as good of a chance as walking the first two batters as they would getting the first two guys out.

Agreed. The one thing the Angels are supposed to be good at is hitting with RISP.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
Colon can't pitch cause he's too damn fat.  finger !

Thank God we couldn't afford him and had to settle for our top 4 :

Scotty P on base again!!

Looks like overcompensating for his bad back f***ed up his shoulder. His elbow isn't supposed to be in stellar shape either.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
Iguchi's been having a real trouble with 2 strikes recently.  He's been very good this postseason though, so I'm not going to get too upset with him.

You'll find most hitters aren't as good with 2 strikes.