Remember these 32 items about 2005

kapkomet

Bear with me, this is going to be my longest post in my Soxtalk history – and it’s well deserved.

For every player on the 25 man roster in the World Series plus 7…

Bench guys and relievers:

1. Pablo Ozuna – The man who stole the base in the ALCS game two to put Crede in the position to hit that double – and Ozuna scored the winning run that gave them all the momentum in the ALCS. He played admirably in the utility role.

2. Geoff Blum – WOW, what can I say? He’s the last man on this roster, KW traded for you. And in the 14th inning of game three, he made the sleeping city of Chicago wake up and fuzzy eyed Sox fans everywhere and realize that we’re on the cusp of something we’ve never seen before.

3. Chris Widger – Going from a slow-pitch softball team to the World Series. What a dream. He’s come up big a few times this year, and we really appreciate your efforts.

4. Willie Harris – We’ve given him so much s***. I mean, we could never figure out what the hell he was doing some days. But, in the playoffs, he stole a couple of bases and played hard. AND he got on here in game four to get us started! Props to Willie.

5. Timo Perez – All those damn bloop hits when things looked bleak in the middle of the season. The rally panties. He’s one crazy dude, and he’s been a great club house presence.

6. Damaso Marte – We had all but given up on him. And in game 3 of the World Series, he did his job. That’s all that matters.

7. Bobby Jenks – Out of nowhere, those 100 mph fastballs have juiced all of us. The kid has guts, BIG guts. 

8. Cliff Politte – The ROCK of that bullpen. How many times did he come in this year and just shut the door?

9. Neal Cotts – We all wonder when he’ll be THE man out in that bullpen. He’s stayed patient, and pitched admirably on baseball’s biggest stage.

10. Dustin Hermanson – He’s come on out of nowhere to take the closer’s job, and been battling that back since August. No matter what, he’s tried to do his best for the team.

11. Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez – That ALCS game three in Boston will be burned in our memories forever. That was the biggest set of stones I have EVER seen in a pitching performance. Without him, Boston could have had life. But he took it from them in that 6th inning. El Duque… :cheers

12. Luis Vizcaino – He had a HORRIBLE start. In the second half, he was so much better, and he came in game three in the World Series and held. That second half is what we should remember him by, not getting hung out to dry in the first two weeks of the season.

THE STARTERS - :snr:

13. Freddy Garcia – We got him for the playoffs. He always seemed to give us all cardiac arrest in the first couple of innings but as the games get longer, FG gets stronger! And now he’s a World Champ.

14. Jon Garland – This year, he became a man among boys. 18 wins, ALCS gutty win, and kept us in it when it mattered most in the World Series. Way to man up, JG.

15. Jose Contrearas – How’s that Loiaza trade look now? In the second half, the team jumped on his back and he didn’t waiver. He almost single handedly steadied the ship as the lead was dwindling. WTG, JC!

16. Mark Buehrle – Where do I start? All those people who says he’s not an ace. Piss off. He has more guts, even when he didn’t pitch his best, he ALWAYS kept us in a game. That’s an ace.

THE LINEUP - :snr:

17. Scott Podsednik – What a jump he gave us. We needed a leadoff hitter, and he gave us that. And he gave us one of the best moments that the city of Chicago will ever see, his walkoff in game two of the World Series. And, he gave us something to focus on here at soxtalk – his first ASG appearance. Scotty, you brought your lunch pail with you to Chicago and you know how much that means to us. All-star and World Champ – in the same year. Milwaukee wasn’t going to give him that, WE ARE!

18. Tadihito Iguici – I can’t even describe how many times Gooch took one for the team. His BA and all that suffered immensely because he came in here and did exactly what he was told, and now, he’s a REAL world champion. Gooch was the glue that held this thing together.

19. Jermaine Dye – We all worried about how he’d fill Magg’s shoes (whether or not you care to admit it, soxtalkers), and they were big shoes to fill. Sometimes, he killed us when he got cold at the plate, but he got us started in the World Series, and that’s important. 80 Ribbies ain’t so bad either. :cheers

20. Paul Konerko – I was down on Paulie during the first half as much as anyone. When the season got long in the tooth, the dude simply kicked ass. And in the playoffs, he stepped up his game, and showed us what he’s made of. I hope he’s back next year. Except, he needs to learn when to shut up to that damn media. ;)

21. Carl Everett – He’s one crazy dude. Definitely passionate about his beliefs, and he’s come in and done the job. It’s all you can ask for.

22. AJ Pierzinski – My oh my. Personally, he’s my MVP of this team. That swagger, that tone, that mannerism, the baseball smarts, the way he’s handled the pitching staff… his attitude is so contagious. And screw the negative s***, he goes out and plays the game THE RIGHT WAY.

23. Aaron Rowand – In NY, he showed the world what he’s made of. Runs hard, plays hard, has his moments at the plate, and sometimes makes us wonder what the hell he’s doing. You know what, though? He is such a vital part of this team, and his defense is impeccable. You have to have it up the middle and he does.

24. Juan Uribe – Such a streaky guy. He’s so streaky at the plate. But, I never gave the dude enough credit on the defense. He plays a hell of a shortstop out there. If it weren’t for him on several plays during the playoffs, we’re in a lot more difficult of a position.

25. Joe “bleepin” Crede – Oh my. What a ride in October. You’re TRULY our inspiration. I can’t even say anymore. ;)

AND THE EXTRA LUCKY SEVEN…

26. Brandon McCarthy – Bmac wasn’t on the roster. And I wish he was. He didn’t complain when he got sent back down to Charlotte, he went and worked his ass off to get it figured out. He came back in August and kicked ass down the stretch. We have seen the future of Sox starting pitching, and what a GREAT future it is.

27. Don Cooper – Wow. Words cannot even describe my admiration for what he’s done with this pitching staff. We had flashes and thoughts that this would be the best overall staff in baseball, and dammit, he made it work.

28. OZZIE “BLEEPIN” GUILLEN – WOOOOO HOOOOOOO, you crazy m’fer!!! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT!!! We all gave him so much s***, all year, and some of us tried to reason it out by saying he wanted to know how his players would react in certain situations, and come playoff time, he’d do us right. AND DID HE EVER! OZZIE, YOU OWN CHICAGO!

29. MANAGEMENT – JR, you have a winner!! And how sweet it is. It’s been tough, and he’s stayed true to being fiscally responsible and being a winner all at the same time. KUDOS. KENNY WILLIAMS. Holy s***. He just outfoxed every damn GM out there. PISS OFF on those people who didn’t think he could get it done, he’s got his ring.

30. Frank Thomas – The face of the franchise for so many years. The only regret about this is we didn’t get to see him in a World Series in the batter’s box, crushing that damn ball over that stupid train. Frank, thanks for all the memories for the last 15 years.

31. The Rally Crede – Sportsfans, you now know the power of the force of the Rally Crede. It was so stupid. It IS so stupid. But for soxtalk’s little sphere of the world, it gave us something to rally around and gave us something to believe in. That, more then anything, led these boys to the championship. THEY BELIEVED. AND SO DO WE.

32. and last… YOU, ME, EVERY ONE OF US AT SOXTALK. We b****, scream, kick, slam, screw off, waste time, laugh, cry and otherwise pour our hearts out on this site. Some of us have gained friends for life from this very website. I know I have. We’re from all walks of life, all different backgrounds, all different political views (GO SLaP!), but we have one thing in common. We’re SOX FANS. WE EAT, SLEEP, AND BLEED THIS TEAM. And WE ARE ALL CHAMPIONS. I enjoy you all… every last person on this site… every one of you has made this experience one of the best times you could ever imagine. FELLOW SOX FANS, AND TO ALL OF THE 31 PEOPLE ABOVE, WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post says it all.

I can't begin to describe the smile on my face when I saw Big Hurt run out to the mound and celebrate with this team....not sure if I know a man more deserving for sticking it out on the Southside. Congrats to this whole organization.

What about Kevin Walker?

But seriously, great post!!! :notworthy

When I read the part about management, and KW in particular, it reminded me on one Billy Beane who so ingratiously made some disparaging remarks about one KW in his book, Moneyball. Well Billy, let's check the ol' toteboard:

World Championships:

Kenny Williams - 1

Billy Beane - 0

And THAT'S a White Sox Winner. In the immortal words of Nuke Cleveland:

EAT s*** BILLY!!!!!

7. Bobby Jenks – Out of nowhere, those 100 mph fastballs have juiced all of us. The kid has guts, BIG guts. 

Touche :D

But hey, where's f***ing Rock, Harold, Cora, Walker, etc. on that list? O_o

Edited by TheBigHurt