Free agent resource.

qwerty

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

Work ahead

While negotiations with Paul Konerko may stretch out for weeks, options on the contracts of Carl Everett and Frank Thomas have to be decided soon.

The Sox have to tell Everett by Monday (five days after the World Series) whether they will pay him $5 million or buy him out for $500,000. Even if they choose the latter course, they could re-sign him at a lower salary.

Thomas is a little more complicated. He has to tell the team by Monday that he will play for $12 million, which is a foregone conclusion, then the team has five days to accept that or pay him $3.5 million as a buyout, which is also a foregone conclusion.

After the official contract business, the Sox are expected to try to re-sign him at a much, much lower salary.

"I'm not going to stop being aggressive because we won it," GM Ken Williams said. "As a matter of fact, I want it even more now than I did before."

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Is there any chance that the Sox get Wagner or Guadardo?

I think our bullpen is pretty settled right now. If Marte leaves, you need a good LHP to replace him though. Plus teams like the Mets are going to offer Wagner a LOT of money.

Call me greedy, but I'd like to see the Sox have another top notch pen arm on top of Jenks, Cotts and Politte. If it's going to cost $8 million or so to bring one in, then I'd say pass, but if one of them could be had for a semi-reasonable price, why not make a strength even stronger?

Call me greedy, but I'd like to see the Sox have another top notch pen arm on top of Jenks, Cotts and Politte. If it's going to cost $8 million or so to bring one in, then I'd say pass, but if one of them could be had for a semi-reasonable price, why not make a strength even stronger?

The only bullpen move I see us making is trading Marte in a package for offense and signing a lefty reliever like Scott Eyre or Mike Myers. Mike Myers was born in Arlington Heights, Illinois so maybe he would like to come back home to the World Series winner. :D Other than that, our bullpen is set. We need to spend our money on offense, not more pitching.

Todd Walker had his $2.5M option picked up by the Cubs and this on Guardado;

The Boston Herald believes the Red Sox, Diamondbacks and Padres will pursue Eddie Guardado after the Mariners decline the left-hander's option for 2006.

The Diamondbacks weren't supposed to be targeting a closer because of their satisfaction with Jose Valverde, but with a new GM and former Mariners pitching coach Bryan Price in place, nothing can be ruled out. The other two teams make sense. Guardado would be a fine choice to step in should Trevor Hoffman leave San Diego. Oct. 29 - 4:26 am et

Even though Manny isn't a free agent, he sounds like a complete a-hole.

Manny Ramirez - OF - Red Sox

Gene Mato, one of Manny Ramirez's representatives, told Red Sox owner John W. Henry yesterday that Ramirez wants to be traded, and will not report to spring training if his wish to be dealt is not met, a team source told the Boston Globe.

It's hard to imagine Ramirez actually failing to report, but if he wants a trade, the Red Sox will definitely take a look and see what they can get for him. Of course, Manny can and likely will change his mind half a dozen times before camp opens. Oct. 29 - 3:36 am et

Source: Boston Globe

Don't know if anyone cares but...

Shawn Estes - S - Diamondbacks

The Rockies have already been in contact with the agent for free-agent left-hander Shawn Estes.

Estes left to join the Diamondbacks after winning 15 games for the Rockies in 2004. Colorado would likely only be interested in him on a one-year deal and he wouldn't be blocking any youngsters worthy of a rotation spot, so if he's willing to sign for about $2 million, he could return to the team. Oct. 29 - 1:30 pm et

Source: Denver Post

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:25 AM)

I'd offer Octavio Dotel an incentive laden contract...

I'd go after Furcal. We saw how a good speedy leadoff man can spark a team and they are inshort supply around MLB.

We also saw how the Sox struggled when Pods was hurt, so it would be nice to have two speedy guys around.

Furcal could bat second so Iguchi could be moved down to the middle of the order. Furcal would play SS, Uribe could move to 2B, and Iguchi DH. It also gives us depth in case Crede, Uribe or Iguchi get injured.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
I was thinking about this but i couldn't figure it out. Last year the sox signed timo to a one year deal which expires this year, but on MLB.com he is not on the FA list. Is he arbitration eligable or did they screw up?

Timo Perez is in his second year of arbitration.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I'd go after Furcal.  We saw how a good speedy leadoff man can spark a team and they are inshort supply around MLB.

We also saw how the Sox struggled when Pods was hurt, so it would be nice to have two speedy guys around.

Furcal could bat second so Iguchi could be moved down to the middle of the order.  Furcal would play SS, Uribe could move to 2B, and Iguchi DH.  It also gives us depth in case Crede, Uribe or Iguchi get injured.

iguchi DH? you forgot the GREEN there, buddy!

no way you waste Iguchi as DH

Iguchi is a decent second baseman but he is the weakest link defensively in the infield. Ozzie has already stated that he wants to add more speed next year, so Furcal would be a good addition. Uribe is a great defensive SS and he played great at 2B in 2004. Ozzie thinks Iguchi would make a good RBI man if he were moved down in the order, so putting him at DH is not a far-fetched idea. Besides, I like the idea of a DH who can also play well in the field when needed rather than a DH only butcher-in-the-field type.

If not Furcal, then keep everything as it is except upgrade at DH with Hideki Matsui. He can also play some CF if needed.

Point is, now is the time to add not subtract.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Iguchi is a decent second baseman but he is the weakest link defensively in the infield.  Ozzie has already stated that he wants to add more speed next year, so Furcal would be a good addition.  Uribe is a great defensive SS and he played great at 2B in 2004.  Ozzie thinks Iguchi would make a good RBI man if he were moved down in the order, so putting him at DH is not a far-fetched idea.  Besides, I like the idea of a DH who can also play well in the field when needed rather than a DH only butcher-in-the-field type.

If not Furcal, then keep everything as it is except upgrade at DH with Hideki Matsui.  He can also play some CF if needed.

Point is, now is the time to add not subtract.

Furcal is seriously not worth the money considering what position he plays. Teams like the Cubs who are in dire need of a SS and a leadoff man would be more inclined to give Furcal upwards of $10M, the White Sox in their current situation do not need him for that kind of money.