Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
I'd say our chances of signing Brian Giles would be less than 1% right now. And the chances of Ross Gload being around in 2007, let alone 2006, aren't that high either.

I'd absolutely have to agree on Giles. The guy will be on the Padres next year. The Sox would never top $10M+ to pry him away from Kevin Towers.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
This is what they've got at the moment at 1B, 3B and the OF.

Chad Tracy

Tony Clark

Troy Glaus

Conor Jackson

Carlos Quentin

Luis Terrero

Shawn Green

Luis Gonzalez

Can anybody say logjam!!!!  :bang

Let's break this down. If they can't trade Glaus, he's a must-play for the $$ he's making and his talent. If they can't trade Gonzo or Green, they're also definitely starting lineup. They just resigned Tony Clark but also want to get Conor Jackson, their hot prospect, in the lineup. If I remember correctly they said they might try getting him in the OF although his defense is questionable at best. Terrero is a nobody, benchwarmer material. I'm not real familiar with Quentin, is he a rookie? Basically, it's Tracy, Jackson, and Clark competing for 3 spots. Tracy is the best option defensively to play the OF. I have a feeling Clark and Jackson will be platooning till Jackson is ready for a full-time role. Personally I don't see them moving Tracy UNLESS we were to take Russ Ortiz off their hands as well which would open up $$ for them to sign another SP in addition to Marte and the prospects we'd send over there. But if they trade any one of Glaus, Green, or Gonzo, they keep Tracy for sure.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Let's break this down.  If they can't trade Glaus, he's a must-play for the $$ he's making and his talent.  If they can't trade Gonzo or Green, they're also definitely starting lineup.  They just resigned Tony Clark but also want to get Conor Jackson, their hot prospect, in the lineup.  If I remember correctly they said they might try getting him in the OF although his defense is questionable at best.  Terrero is a nobody, benchwarmer material.  I'm not real familiar with Quentin, is he a rookie?  Basically, it's Tracy, Jackson, and Clark competing for 3 spots.  Tracy is the best option defensively to play the OF.  I have a feeling Clark and Jackson will be platooning till Jackson is ready for a full-time role.  Personally I don't see them moving Tracy UNLESS we were to take Russ Ortiz off their hands as well which would open up $$ for them to sign another SP in addition to Marte and the prospects we'd send over there.  But if they trade any one of Glaus, Green, or Gonzo, they keep Tracy for sure.

Quentin's a stud OF prospect, and many thought he should have been up before Conor Jackson when they dumped Jose Cruz Jr.

This is how I see things playing out currently;

1B - Clark and Jackson. Tracy playing some as well.

3B - Glaus. Tracy to take over if Glaus was traded.

OF - Gonzo, Green and Quentin. Tracy to back up all those OF spots.

Tracy deserves to be playing everyday for that team, but he's not good enough defensively in the one spot so he can do that. Conor Jackson would be a GREAT trade option, because he'd be the perfect DH for us for the next 10 years because he's terrible defensively.

Best scenario for Josh Byrnes, he's able to dump a big contract there, but I don't think he'll be able to. Trading Gonzo looks like the best thing, but there's a huge cost in terms of him being the fan favorite, loss of ticket sales etc. That's why I think a Chad Tracy trade is very, very possible, if they can get the good young pitching they need. They won't be trading him, for the sake of trading him.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
That;s If Towers is there next year.  I see the Cubs and Pads making a run for him.

Sandy Alderson's no dumbass anyways. Even if Giles became a FA, teams like the Cards, Cubs and Braves would have much better chances of signing him than we do. But I don't think it's going to get to that stage. San Diego are already bad enough offensively, and losing Ramon Hernandez will hurt enough, they can't lose Giles while they're at it.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
I do agree that we have a better shot of obtaining Pujols in a trade that giles in the FA market. Both are about slim and none.. With None winning the race by 3 lengths.

the Cardinals would ask for way too much for Pujols, if they would deal him at all.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Why is it that when we win a world championship on the backs of our pitching staff after 5 consecutive failures with a bunch of sluggers, are we talking about trading pitchers for sluggers? 

There is some flawed logic here folks.

Completely, completely agree. You know what Yas, our opinions mean nothing but I can guarantee you Kenny feels the same way as us.

Why is it that when we win a world championship on the backs of our pitching staff after 5 consecutive failures with a bunch of sluggers, are we talking about trading pitchers for sluggers? 

There is some flawed logic here folks.

I think everyone agreed that it was a bad idea. Then people started saying that we should trade Marte, possibly Rowand, and prospects for a lefty #3 hitter like Chad Tracy or Lyle Overbay. We could sign a lefty reliever like Mike Myers to replace Marte and Brian Anderson could replace Rowand if we decided to trade him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:56 AM)
I think everyone agreed that it was a bad idea.  Then people started saying that we should trade Marte, possibly Rowand, and prospects for a lefty #3 hitter like Chad Tracy or Lyle Overbay.  We could sign a lefty reliever like Mike Myers to replace Marte and Brian Anderson could replace Rowand if we decided to trade him.

I saw talk of Garland for Dunn. It's that kind of stuff I was talking about.

I saw talk of Garland for Dunn.  It's that kind of stuff I was talking about.

I agree with you then. No thanks on that trade either. Dunn draws a lot of walks but he also strikes out a ton. Watching him fail to hit a sac fly over and over again would make me sick. :D There's no reason to break up a starting staff like Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, and McCarthy that should be the best in baseball.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
I saw talk of Garland for Dunn.  It's that kind of stuff I was talking about.

Really there's no point in making that type of deal unless you're able to sign a replacement starter who can still do a very good job for you. And in a weak FA market, that's not going to happen.

Now this can only be good for our negotiations with Paulie if this goes down;

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Red Sox and Angels could involve the Diamondbacks in Manny Ramirez trade talks, with Troy Glaus likely going to Boston in such a scenario.

The Glaus-to-Boston rumors have become popular. He could potentially provide more production at first base than Paul Konerko and he wouldn't be owed as much over the next three years. If Ramirez goes to Anaheim, the Angels would likely give up Darin Erstad and prospects. They could also try to find a way to involve Steve Finley. Nov. 2 - 4:23 am et

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 08:11 AM)
Now this can only be good for our negotiations with Paulie if this goes down;

I think the whole Manny Ramirez trade thing will seriously hamper the Angels and Red Sox chances of signing Paulie. Working that deal out will probably take a ton of time, and neither team will have much flexibility (Red Sox need to lose some cash to make a serious run at Paulie, Angels can't take on both players). What stuns me a bit is that the Angels are even considering it. How can you take on a $20 mil contract when you've already got Vlad making over $12 mil, Colon at $12 mil and going up, Cabrera at $6.5 mil and rising, and Anderson at $10 mil and rising? They're going to have like no money to acqure pitchers or resign their own guys in a couple years if they acquire Manny or Paulie.

Edit= How the hell is Glaus going be more productive than Paulie at 1B, if he even plays there?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

ruh roh.

The Indians have talked to the agent for free-agent outfielder Brian Giles.

"We're in the process of reaching out to every potential free agent [who] can help us for next year," said GM Mark Shapiro. "Giles is one of the most desired players out there, which means he'll be one of the hardest to sign." If the Indians are serious about pursuing a corner regular, then Casey Blake might not have a starting job next year. Nov. 2 - 12:42 pm et

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
ruh roh.

As young as the Injuns currently are, they've got a good chance to be a player. But here's the big question; will they hold onto Millwood and Wickman? The answer is probably not, and those are going to be some serious holes they'll need to fill.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
As young as the Injuns currently are, they've got a good chance to be a player.  But here's the big question;  will they hold onto Millwood and Wickman?  The answer is probably not, and those are going to be some serious holes they'll need to fill.

You don't think so? I thought for sure both would be back. Just my opinion though.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
ruh roh.

Seriously not cool. If that were the alternative, I'd much rather see him stay in San Diego. Another issue is this seems to suggest that the Indians will have quite a bit of money to throw around. If that's the case, I'd be more worried about them adding A.J. Burnett to bolster what I consider to be an overrated rotation.

I think everyone agreed that it was a bad idea.  Then people started saying that we should trade Marte, possibly Rowand, and prospects for a lefty #3 hitter like Chad Tracy or Lyle Overbay.  We could sign a lefty reliever like Mike Myers to replace Marte and Brian Anderson could replace Rowand if we decided to trade him.

Wow, that is an awful lot to overpay for the talents of either of those 2.. Maybe Marte and Prospect for them but not an everyday player as well. I think we be getting arse raped in that deal.