Free agent resource.

qwerty

Angels will pursue free-agent Konerko

The agent for the Chicago White Sox slugger confirms the team's interest.

By MARK SAXON

The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – The Angels long have been rumored to be in pursuit of free-agent slugger Paul Konerko. Now it's official.

Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, said the Angels called him recently to announce their interest in the Chicago White Sox first baseman.

"Paul is certainly interested in hearing what the Angels have to say," Landis said.

While the Angels can't offer Konerko a contract until Nov.10 - only the White Sox can - they are expected to be one of his most aggressive suitors. Landis said Wednesday it's unlikely he would strike a deal with Chicago before other teams can make their bids.

"Paul's waited his whole career to be a free agent," Landis said.

The Angels can offer two things the Boston Red Sox and Chicago can't: proximity to Konerko's Scottsdale, Ariz., home and a Phoenix-area spring training facility. Those things won't necessarily be the determining factors, Landis said, but other factors could work in the Angels' favor.

"The No. 1 criterion is probably a combination of contract length and dollar amount, along with a possible no-trade provision. He wants to stay with a good team," Landis said. "In this case, he knows (Mike) Scioscia. He played for him in the minors. He knows (coaches) Ron Roenicke and Mickey Hatcher from the Dodgers. Paul's a fan of those guys."

Konerko is likely seeking a four- or five-year deal in the $50 million-$60 million range. He batted .283 with 40 home runs and 100 RBIs last year and was the MVP of the American League Championship Series.

Landis said "8-10 teams" have expressed a preliminary interest in Konerko, but the list of teams that can afford him is much shorter.

If the Angels can't sign Konerko, they might set their sights on Boston Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez, who reportedly has requested a trade. The Red Sox are rumored to be interested in Angels right-hander Ervin Santana, however, and that could be a deal-breaker.

The combination of Santana's solid rookie year - 12-8 with a 4.65 ERA - and his lofty potential make the Angels wary of parting with him. Santana turns 23 in January.

"I'll just say that's not a likely trail to go down," Angels general manager Bill Stoneman said.

The Angels don't want to weaken the heart of their team - the best starting ERA in the AL - to improve the seventh-most productive offense. Stoneman would not say if he has spoken with the Red Sox, but any deal could be slowed down by turmoil in Boston's front office. Theo Epstein's departure means the Red Sox are searching for a new general manager.

Dont think we are getting any break on a Konerko deal. Now you have Ozzie making comments about how its not wise to put all your money in one player. Kiss him goodbye.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
I wouldn't mind at all if we made a full court press to lock up Buehrle at least a year before his last option year with us.  Hopefully, a couple of rings, a comfortable situation, and a good friend of his on the pitching staff will give him some extra motivation to stay, if we're willing to pay him.  Which we damn well better be.  If it came down even to Konerko vs. Buehrle for dollars, I pick Mark.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
:headshake Not good.

Tony...if someone came to you and said we want to talk to you about a job, wouldn't you listen to what they have to say? I certainly would. That doesn't mean you'll take the job, it just means you're listening. The Sox aren't out of it until the ink is on the paper.

I seriously doubt Paulie is getting more than 5 years guaranteed. His agent can ask for whatever he wants, that doesn't mean he'll get it. The only way I see us not keeping Paulie is if some owner absolutely goes out of his mind and gives him like 6 years at $14 or $15 mil per year. I don't think that'll happen. Most likely we'll be competing with the Angels and one other team with all of the offers being around 4/50, with possibly one team adding a little extra money or an extra year. I still think that the Sox have a very good shot at keeping him as long as he gets a sizeable offer from us, and I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

This is probably the last time I post on this particular topic, since I don't think I can keep posting stuff about contract length/dollars through December. This s*** is probably going to drive me nuts at some point.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
This is probably the last time I post on this particular topic, since I don't think I can keep posting stuff about contract length/dollars through December. This s*** is probably going to drive me nuts at some point.

Just step back and realize that no matter what happens this offseason in regards to transactions, we're still the 2005 World Champions!

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Just step back and realize that no matter what happens this offseason in regards to transactions, we're still the 2005 World Champions!

I'm trying (still buying WS Champs stuff), but you know there's going to be at least 3 threads a day on this topic.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Giles numbers have gone down alot lately.  his on base is great.  You can use the argument that he plays at a pitcher's park in SD, but half his games are on the road as well.

HUH?

Giles' 2005 road stats: .333/.463/.545

That's like Frank Thomas in his prime.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
I remember Carlos Lee batting second but never Frank.  Did Manuel really do that?

I remember him doing it during an Oakland series in 2003. can't argue with the results though: .500/.545/1.000 in 10 at-bats

Edited by santo=dorf

Ok, assuming we don't sign Konerko, what are we actually going to do with all that money? Lyle Overbay is brought up as a replacement but he makes barely anything.

We could always overpay and offer PK money to Giles and he would probably sign on the spot, not that it would be a very good idea.

Rowand for Sheff? Would the Yanks go for that? Or a trade for Manny?

I'm almost positive the money will be spent as it would be hard to stomach Ross Gload and Brian Anderson as the replacements for Konerko & Thomas/Everett.

Ok, assuming we don't sign Konerko, what are we actually going to do with all that money? Lyle Overbay is brought up as a replacement but he makes barely anything.

We could always overpay and offer PK money to Giles and he would probably sign on the spot, not that it would be a very good idea.

I'm almost positive the money will be spent as it would be hard to stomach Ross Gload and Brian Anderson as the replacements for Konerko & Thomas/Everett.

We aren't going to trade Rowand for some clown(Sheffield)

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
We aren't going to trade Rowand for some clown(Sheffield)

When Sheffield's name came up in trade rumors last season, he immediately responded by saying he took less money to play for the Yankees, and if they traded him, he'd respond by basically dogging it on the field for whoever he was traded to.

Keep that juicing M.F. away from my team.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)

It doesn't seem obvious who it will be, but I'm sure we'll find a way to add another bat if we happen to lose Paulie. Some of the hotter names are Delgado, Thome, Dunn, Teixeira, Overbay, and Huff. All of those would have to come in trades, because this FA class is brutal outside of about 5 guys.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Mench or Kearns would not really be an upgrade from Everett as a DH.  Dunn is a completely different story.  If he were on the team he instantly becomes our most valuable offensive assest (unless we have a fully healthy Big Frank).  He would almost certainly cost us a starting pitcher, though.

I think there is a great upside to Kevin Mench. He killed us. He made 345,000 in 05 better than carl numbers not quite KOnerko. Texas cut off contract talks with him. Can any one see him as either in the outfield or as a dh.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Mench was my fantasy sleeper at the beginning of last year!  He'd be a reliable option I think but not the type of player we're all looking for if Konerko leaves.

Yours truly mentioned Kevin Mench about 10 pages ago. PERFECT for a platoon DH role with the newly re-signed and still-aging Frank Thomas. IMHO, could be had for a combination of MLB-ready or near-MLB-ready pitching prospects and Mr. Marte.

/MenchSoxMugshot

It looks like Pauly is going to be an Angel. Thanx for the memories Pauly! Its been fun as hell and you truly were worth all the money we gave you. You were a HUGE peice of this puzzle we now know as the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

We just don't have the financial resources that the Angels have.

Time for KW to pull off some magic!! If he gets Pauly to stay god bless him, if he can't I completely understand. Overbay would be a great fit in our organization. But what would Milwaukee want in return? Probably Harris, a top prospect and one of our relievers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
When Sheffield's name came up in trade rumors last season, he immediately responded by saying he took less money to play for the Yankees, and if they traded him, he'd respond by basically dogging it on the field for whoever he was traded to.

Keep that juicing M.F. away from my team.

Agreed. He would do nothing but destroy this team with his selfish, everything must be my way attitude. I would rather see anybody but him.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
It looks like Pauly is going to be an Angel. Thanx for the memories Pauly! Its been fun as hell and you truly were worth all the money we gave you. You were a HUGE peice of this puzzle we now know as the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

We just don't have the financial resources that the Angels have.

Time for KW to pull off some magic!! If he gets Pauly to stay god bless him, if he can't I completely understand. Overbay would be a great fit in our organization. But what would Milwaukee want in return? Probably Harris, a top prospect and one of our relievers.

The Brewers have no need for Willie Harris.

Remember the chances of us signing Brian Giles are like

Now just some stats here for Tracy, Howard and Overbay;

Howard - .924 OPS. 100/33 K/BB ratio. .241 BA/RISP. .287 GPA

Overbay - .816 OPS. 98/78 K/BB ratio. .262 BA/RISP. .279 GPA

Tracy - .911 OPS. 78/35 K/BB ratio. .258 BA/RISP. .286 GPA

And I just want to post Conor Jackson's minor league numbers as well;

2004 - A - .345/.438/.562

2004 - AA - .301/.367/.456

2005 - AAA - .354/.457/.553

Howard, as in Ryan Howard? No way the Phils trade him even if they can't move Thome. They'll make him play the OF if worst came to worst.

Actually the more I look at Delgado, the more realistic he is in terms of trade. The Marlins actually could use another OF since they probably won't be resigning Encarnacion, something we could definitely provide for them. They have the Julio Franco wanna-be in Jeff Conine playing OF/1B, so we could also provide them with an "mlb-ready" firstbaseman who could at least platoon with Conine. I dunno if they plan on resigning Gonzalez or not, but they could prolly use a ss as well. They also have Lowell at 3B, so depending on what he's doing they may need a 3B/OF (if Cabrera moves back to 3B). That whole Villone thing didn't work out so well for them, so maybe they'd be interested in Marte? Anyway, they have alot of holes, and, for once, it's not starting pitching related. Yes, they lost Burnett (and Pavano last year), but they still have prospect after prospect to fill those starting roles. Dumping Delgado, perhaps they could then sign a ss/3b type (Garciaparra?) to fill their remaining hole or maybe a midlevel SP if they want a more veteran presence on the staff or to resign their closer. Thoughts?

Oh and BTW, does anybody remember the Lowell talk during the summer (in connection with Burnett obviously)? Wasn't the general consensus that his defense was less than stellar? He just won the Gold Glove which I realize isn't the most dependable of ratings systems, but still...