Konerko defends Sox, looks ahead

greasywheels121

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Irishsox1 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
Paulie is worth a lot of money, but in the end it is pitching and defense that kept the Sox in those close games.

Yes but if you don't have a run producer in the middle of the lineup, those close games can easily go the other way.

I think PK could stay w/ the sox. But it'll take a 5 yr, $70 mill deal [$14 mill per yr] from them to keep him. PK might get $15 mill a yr, $75 mill offer from LAA or Bos. But the sox money has to be real close.

The only way to invest all that money in one guy is if he can give the sox more than just numbers. PK does that with his leadership and clutch playoff performances. I think the sox do and will have to overpay

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:36 AM)
Idonno a longterm deal of Konerko involving 14 million per year just isnt worth it... I know Konerko is a great guy in the clubhouse and all but I think his "leadership" role is a bit overated.

I agree. I mean, what's he led us to? :headshake

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
I agree.  I mean, what's he led us to?    :headshake

I do see some people's point about overpaying for PK, though. When he was hitting .249/.349/.479 w/ 20 hr and 55 rbi's at the ASB, how many people would have wanted the sox to pay him $15 mill a yr until 2011?

I just heard Bill Melton on the score. He said that Konerko had expressed concern that the union would pressure him to just take the highest dollar to keep the market on an upward swing. Melton said he to Paulie to screw the union, they'll forget about him as soon as he hangs 'em up and to do what he believed was best for himself.

For the record, these are not direct quotes.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
I just heard Bill Melton on the score.  He said that Konerko had expressed concern that the union would pressure him to just take the highest dollar to keep the market on an upward swing.  Melton said he to Paulie to screw the union, they'll forget about him as soon as he hangs 'em up and to do what he believed was best for himself. 

For the record, these are not direct quotes.

That does sound promising. As long as the sox are very close [in both years and cash--I don't see PK settling for anything less than a 5 yr deal] to other offers, I see a deal with PK happening. The sox esp. need to have him around for the next few yrs, with the pitchers all locked up. Even if they have to take a "hit" in the 4th or 5th yrs of a deal. The pressure for the Sox to sign and overpay on a deal have never been higher, IMO, with the series win, the weak free agent market and what PK has given [and will continue to give] the sox.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
Yeah none of our other players had a major role into leading us to the WS....

He was acknowledged, by other players, as one of the key team leaders ... along with Buehrle. I think if they feel he was a main leader, well then, his leadership role was not "overrated".

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
That does sound promising. As long as the sox are very close [in both years and cash--I don't see PK settling for anything less than a 5 yr deal] to other offers, I see a deal with PK happening. The sox esp. need to have him around for the next few yrs, with the pitchers all locked up. Even if they have to take a "hit" in the 4th or 5th yrs of a deal. The pressure for the Sox to sign and overpay on a deal have never been higher, IMO, with the series win, the weak free agent market and what PK has given [and will continue to give] the sox.

That doesn't sound promising at all. PK is basically stating that it's likely he's going to take the highest offer. If we're going to have to give PK like 15 mil a year, I'd rather he just go elsewhere.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
I'll be stunned if he's not back with the Sox.  If he leaves, at least he went out as a f***ing contributor to a world series winner.  You can't ask for much more.

me too. paulies the man, no question. kw and jr know to give him what he wants. why mess with a team that is so good? we need pk! pay him whatever he wants!

How much was Paul worth before the postseason? I don't see why a great postseason should inflate anybody's value significantly. I'd say Paul's worth about $11-12 million/year to this team, especially considering the "new, steroids-free" landscape of MLB.

That said, our pitching is our strength. I think for that kind of money, we can replace Konerko's production, if not his leadership/intangibles.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
How much was Paul worth before the postseason?  I don't see why a great postseason should inflate anybody's value significantly.  I'd say Paul's worth about $11-12 million/year to this team, especially considering the "new, steroids-free" landscape of MLB.

That said, our pitching is our strength.  I think for that kind of money, we can replace Konerko's production, if not his leadership/intangibles.

See: Carlos Beltran

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
See: Carlos Beltran

Exactly. Carlos Beltran is Exhibit A of post-season contract inflation. Paul's a great player and he's meant a lot to this franchise, but he's definitely not worth more than $12/year. If he gets up to the $15 range, then it's time to start thinking about Manny for that type of money.

Unfortunately, Konerko will benefit from a pretty weak free agent market. If he his willing to accept deferred payments, Reinsdorf and Konerko will probably get something worked out up to the $13 or 14 million range. If Konerko won't take that kind of an offer, he's not serious about staying here and we're better off reinventing the heart of our order for that type of money.