Will Frank be back?

greasywheels121

Will Frank be back?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Will Frank be back?

• Yes, the Sox will exercise his option.
    • Yes, the Sox will buy him out, and re-sign him for less.
    • No.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
Yea, the Sox will buy him out and re-sign him for less.

If not, he won't be playing next year.  I dont see him anywhere but Chicago.

I hope that's the case. It's kind of selfish on my part, but I don't want to see him even playing, if he can't play with the Sox.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
I hope that's the case.  It's kind of selfish on my part, but I don't want to see him even playing, if he can't play with the Sox.

More realistic then selfish. IMO, of course. :ph34r:

I doubt there will be much interest out there for him. He made a ton of money the last 2 years, and barely played. He'll now get $3.5 for nothing...so an incentive laden contract, with a low base, seems about right to me. I hope they do it all again next year, with Frank leading the way in the 3 hole.

I think it depends on what other player movements take place. I think the Sox are going to look at a #3 hitter, in addition to getting either Konerko resigned or going after a replacement hitter for Pauly. If they can get a big name done, they won't resign Frank. If no one else wants to come here, then I think KW gives Frank another chance.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
I think it depends on what other player movements take place.  I think the Sox are going to look at a #3 hitter, in addition to getting either Konerko resigned or going after a replacement hitter for Pauly.  If they can get a big name done, they won't resign Frank.  If no one else wants to come here, then I think KW gives Frank another chance.

If we do resign Konerko, and hold onto all of the arbitration guys...I don't see us having much flexibility in terms of finding a real quality #3 hole hitter in the FA Market. At least not without us pushing $100 m in the payroll, and I just can't conceive of that happening.

I would say it does remain possible that KW could find a way to do a blockbuster deal involving some of our pitching talent to fill that 3 hole with someone young or cheap, but Thomas, with some of the young outfielders backing him up, almost looks to me like the most affordable option.

This fits here as well as the other Thomas-related, thread, so...

My 2 cents on Everett, Thomas and the DH spot:

--Drop Everett (done)

--Bring back Thomas at reduced salary IF he is willing, and IF he has a chance of being in playing shape my March

--Bring up our two left-handed hitting first base prospects: Ross Gload and Casey Rogowski (sp?). Let them battle it out for a spot as the left DH.

By doing these things, you can add a left bat, and have the following Thomas scenarios covered:

A) Thomas is healthy, so G or R can just sub in to give Thomas, Konerko off days

B) Thomas is semi-healthy, or healthy and only semi-good, so platoon him with G or R.

C) Thomas can't do it, so give G or R a shot as a rookie*

That last scenario is a little scary, but both players look close to being ready for it. And I think they both have a good shot at putting up as good a number as Everett, who benefited greatly from people getting on ahead of him. If scenario C occurs, and the rookie isn't cutting it...

..We can go get Carl in July!!! :P

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Is Casey Rogowski close to being ready for the majors?

Casey Rogowski comparison = Ross Gload with slightly better speed. He's a solid hitter, good OBP...not sure if he will ever be a everyday player in the majors. I would say he will start in AAA this coming year and will be evaluated from there. He didnt have a very good second half of last season...

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Is Casey Rogowski close to being ready for the majors?

He just doesn't have the power to make it in the big leagues imo. He only had nine homeruns in 505 at-bats in double a last season which led to his ops being in the low .800's. In other words, no.

Well, I'm looking at his minor league numbers, and they are good, but they are in AA. Giving him a shot in the majors with those numbers in AA doesnt make sense (as NorthSideSox72 suggested), unless he's much further along than the numbers say.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Well, I'm looking at his minor league numbers, and they are good, but they are in AA.  Giving him a shot in the majors with those numbers in AA doesnt make sense (as NorthSideSox72 suggested), unless he's much further along than the numbers say.

Probably true.

But since we have 2 lefty bats that scouts seem to think will eventually be starter-quality guys (some scouts I've read anyway), I figured one of the two would be likely to do well in a platoon role like that. It's the inexpensive alternative to going out and buying a left-handed bat, or re-signing Everett.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Gload is not the answer at 1st.  Konerko must be resigned.  Frank will be back, hopefully healthy and productive either as a platoon DH or otherwise.

Just to clarify: DEFINITELY do not want Gload to replace Konerko at first. I was talking purely putting him or Rogowski at DH with Thomas, and on those 10 games when Konerko has a day off, they can sub in.

Yea, they could provide much needed depth, especially Gload, as he is left handed, relatively cheap and more ready than Rogowski most likely.

I think frank will be brought back, but there needs to be a plan a, b, and c at first base and dh next year. Perhaps dye could get some time there, and if Anderson shows enough in spring training then he could come in and play right on days Konerko sits. Just an idea.

Considering 1st base could go from a team strength, to black hole, I think the balance rests on signing Konerko and going from there.