If the Sox lose Konerko

GoArow33

Trust me, I don't want Casey by any stretch of the imagination. I'd rather put Gload there if we aren't gonna have PK. I just was moreso saying that even with his performance when it mattered most, I'm not comfortable throwing whatever Konerko asks for, just in the name of keeping him here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
Sean Casey won't cost you 5/70 either. Its not all about who we want on the team, there IS still the matter of paying a guy 12 million/year for sluggish starts every year, pisspoor speed, lukewarm situational hitting, etc. I want Pauly back here as much as anyone, but not by any means, or price, necessary.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I am suggesting Sean Casey.

And truth be told, Casey is very underrated all around. When healthy, he's almost guaranteed to put up .300 15 80 .825-.850, and when he's playing very well all around, he's a .320 25 110 .900 type player...which is huge.

Also...PK at $14 mill per year, putting up .280 40 100 .900, is worse than Casey putting up .300 15 80 .825 at $8.5 mill...to me atleast. That same general philosophy is why this team won the World Series this year. Carlos Lee is almost all around much more valuable a player then the package the Sox received for him, without considering anything financially. When you do bring money into the equation, you realize that by trading Lee, the Sox were able to add AJP, Iguchi, and Duque...all vital parts to an amazing season.

The problem that is then encountered is where to spend the rest. That problem is easy enough to answer - 06-01-06 through 07-31-06.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Look at his 1999, 2000, and 2004 numbers.

Still do you want to trade for a guy who makes $8M and COULD go back to those numbers, or someone like Tracy or Howard who put better power numbers in 2005 and are MUCH cheaper?

It'll depend on what Cinci want, but I'd assume Griffey would be our 1st target if we'd trade with them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Still do you want to trade for a guy who makes $8M and COULD go back to those numbers, or someone like Tracy or Howard who put better power numbers in 2005 and are MUCH cheaper?

It'll depend on what Cinci want, but I'd assume Griffey would be our 1st target if we'd trade with them.

I really could care less about casey. While he is generally underated he is still overpayed imo.

Tracy will not be moved and you are gonna waste an entire winter talking about him. He makes the least sense to be moved on the diamondbacks out of anyone.

I really could care less about casey. While he is generally underated he is still overpayed imo.

Tracy will not be moved and you are gonna waste an entire winter talking about him. He makes the least sense to be moved on the diamondbacks out of anyone.

Ryan Howard won't be moved either. Thome will be the guy they try to dump.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
If it means 5-70?  HELL NO

Konerko's good...and he's grown on me.  I love him.  However, he's also grown on Arte Moreno and the entire Anaheim Angels team.  They are a little bit more secure financially than I am.

Most experts thought the Sox needed Maggs and Caballo going into the season too(how can you lose that much power?!)...how'd that turn out?

Losing Konerko could be a blessing in disguise...not because Konerko's bad or that he's not valuable - he was probably the best offensive player for the Sox this year, and would be next year too.  However, losing him opens the door for offensive flexibility, and the potential to go in multiple directions this offseason as far as adding offense is concerned.  You can look to move Dye to 1B and add an OFer...be it Brian Giles, or Ken Griffey Jr, or whomever.  You can look at add a 1Bman via trade(because other than Konerko, there's basically no one that's available in FA). 

I'll throw a wild card out there for you if the Sox lose Konerko - how about Sean Casey?

Losing Maggs and Lee last year is a lot different than losing PK now. We still had a thumper in the middle of our lineup in PK. We won't have that now. Unless you want to get Griffey or Giles. How old are they again? How old will PK be 5 years from now? Interesting point of view. Flexibility? We'd be tied down to a huge contract on either Griffey or giles for about 3 years as opposed to PK for 5. That's 3 years with old dudes too.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)

Yeah, I can't see the Casey thing happening. Frankly, Ross Gload for about 1/10th of the price will put up similar numbers for ya, if he was given a chance. But that ain't gonna happen.

And yeah, if I'm the D-Backs no way I move Tracy. But they've got to move somebody out of that logjam. Clark ain't going anywhere after they just re-signed him. I doubt Jackson or Quentin will be moved, because they're bonaifde stars of the future. They want to move Gonzo or Glaus, but unless Manny Ramirez gets traded to Anaheim, I don't know if that's going to be possible. Shawn Green could be an option, but once again, he makes a lot of $$$. That leaves Tracy, who'll probably bring back the most for them in a trade I'd say. Not that he should be moved, but who knows what Josh Byrnes is gonna do.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
If it means 5-70?  HELL NO

Konerko's good...and he's grown on me.  I love him.  However, he's also grown on Arte Moreno and the entire Anaheim Angels team.  They are a little bit more secure financially than I am.

Most experts thought the Sox needed Maggs and Caballo going into the season too(how can you lose that much power?!)...how'd that turn out?

Losing Konerko could be a blessing in disguise...not because Konerko's bad or that he's not valuable - he was probably the best offensive player for the Sox this year, and would be next year too.  However, losing him opens the door for offensive flexibility, and the potential to go in multiple directions this offseason as far as adding offense is concerned.  You can look to move Dye to 1B and add an OFer...be it Brian Giles, or Ken Griffey Jr, or whomever.  You can look at add a 1Bman via trade(because other than Konerko, there's basically no one that's available in FA). 

I'll throw a wild card out there for you if the Sox lose Konerko - how about Sean Casey?

money says you wanted to trade crede for vinny castilla midway through this last season. number crunch that!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
You just pull these numbers out of your ass?

those are fair numbers...

however, this team would be lost without at least 1 power guy.

i dont just JAMYNE DYE!! to hit 30 homers again, if he does, bonus... plus, i think AJ will be back to th 15 or so.

if we lose pauly, we have got to get a decent power hitter.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)

It turned out okay, but you can't keep losing power threats without it catching up to you.

Losing Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Everett, maybe Thomas, hell, let's throw Valentin in there for fun - that's a LOT of pop to lose and only replace with 31 HR from JD and 18 from AJ.

If PK signs elsewhere, it is vital for the Sox to get some power from somewhere, anywhere. Small ball doesn't play well without some sort of power sources, and please forgive me if I don't think Iguchi is the answer in the 3 or 4 slot.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
^^^^^^^^^

You hardly took any position all year, you barely said anything about Crede or Castilla, and you don't even know who the hell Danys Baez is.  Cut out this gloating s***.

It's easy to talk s*** and call other people out when you have no opinion on anything during the course of the season. I just really don't see how someone who never voices any kind of unique stance on any subject can possibly talk so much s***.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
It's easy to talk s*** and call other people out when you have no opinion on anything during the course of the season. I just really don't see how someone who never voices any kind of unique stance on any subject can possibly talk so much s***.

Yup. Agree completely.

I shouldn't have used "you" in my post -- I quoted your post, but just to second it. The "you" was directed at the guy you (yes, you) quoted. Hope that was understood. :cheers

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Yup.  Agree completely.

I shouldn't have used "you" in my post -- I quoted your post, but just to second it.  The "you" was directed at the guy you (yes, you) quoted.  Hope that was understood.  :cheers

Yeah, I understood your intentions.

QUOTE(GoArow33 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
If the White Sox lose Konerko and decide to spend money elsewhere, where will the money go? I don't see any need to change the rotation or bullpen. I can live with Vizcaino and Marte being the duds in our pen after they both posted sub 4 ERA's last season. I don't see anyone to replace in the lineup except fill the vacancy at 1B. So the question is, why lose Pauly at all? I just think this team is built for the next few years and that losing Pauly to land other FA's isn't a good idea at all.

If the Sox lose Paulie. I'd like to add a big time hitter and than find another solid hitter (one via FA, one via trade). Than with the money left over, I'd make a heavy push locking up Garland to a 4 year 28 mill deal. I don't know if he'd take it, but I think it would be a nice deal. Worse case I'd do a 3yr deal in the neighborhood of 21 mill, but there would be a 4th year option worth 8 or 9 mill with a buyout of 2-3 million which would push the guaranteed figures of the 3 yr deal to 24 mill or so.

I think its key to get Big Jon locked up and taken care of. I'd even think about offering Jose Contreras a 2 year extension at 18 mill. See if he bites. By extension I'm referring to keeping his current remaining year and going two more (so I guess that would be a 3 year extension). I'd like to see the Sox lock up some of these pitchers agian, just so they don't have all of them come free right around the same time.

The only pitcher I have no interest in locking up would be Garcia. I have my doubts about him over the long term (plus he's signed for a while anyway).