Sox exercise buyout on Thomas' contract

Steff

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
anyone else and i'd agree with you. however, this is the big hurt we are talking about. half of his at bats this past season were home runs. and all chisox fans must love frank. we need him back til he retires.

The Sox will not give a new contract to Frank until they figure out what they're going to do with Konerko. Most everything this offseason is going to revolve around the DH/1B/RF spots.

KW has to know what he has at 1B before he offers a new contract to a huge injury risk like Frank Thomas.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
The Sox will not give a new contract to Frank until they figure out what they're going to do with Konerko. Most everything this offseason is going to revolve around the DH/1B/RF spots.

KW has to know what he has at 1B before he offers a new contract to a huge injury risk like Frank Thomas.

Dye is signed for next year and it is highly unlikely he will be our everyday at 1B. RF doesn't seem to be a concern.

1B, is obviously up in the air... however I doubt it will have little to do with the re-signing of Frank Thomas. There is no way Frank is playing first and I doubt Frank will command the type of money that the Sox would only spend if they had a large payroll opening (aka, no Konerko).

If Frank is back it would be as a DH, and probably a part-time DH at that.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Dye is signed for next year and it is highly unlikely he will be our everyday at 1B.  RF doesn't seem to be a concern.

1B, is obviously up in the air... however I doubt it will have little to do with the re-signing of Frank Thomas.  There is no way Frank is playing first and I doubt Frank will command the type of money that the Sox would only spend if they had a large payroll opening (aka, no Konerko).

If Frank is back it would be as a DH, and probably a part-time DH at that.

The point is, if you have Konerko back next season then you know you have that big HR/RBI guy in him at 1B next year. Then you can afford to take a chance with Frank at DH next year.

RF will be a highlighted position if Konerko does not resign, Dye could very well move to 1B meaning you have to fill that RF spot which would be easier to fill than the 1B spot.

If Konerko walks, KW then has to find a way to fill a major hole left behind by a 40HR/100RBI man and DH is a position that could possibly be filled by a newly acquired player who could put up more stable numbers than Frank Thomas, not to mention more stable health wise as well.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
The point is, if you have Konerko back next season then you know you have that big HR/RBI guy in him at 1B next year. Then you can afford to take a chance with Frank at DH next year.

RF will be a highlighted position if Konerko does not resign, Dye could very well move to 1B meaning you have to fill that RF spot which would be easier to fill than the 1B spot.

If Konerko walks, KW then has to find a way to fill a major hole left behind by a 40HR/100RBI man and DH is a position that could possibly be filled by a newly acquired player who could put up more stable numbers than Frank Thomas, not to mention more stable health wise as well.

I doubt Ken Williams will count on Thomas staying healthy for an entire season. Even if Konerko returns we will need some pop from the DH spot. If you add together Everetts and Thomas'05 numbers you will see the type of production we will need in 06' from our DH. That will not change even if we do sign Konerko.

As I stated before, I don't think Dye will be our everyday firstbaseman. If Konerko does not sign I would expect Williams to explore trade options to pick up a first baseman.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
anyone else and i'd agree with you. however, this is the big hurt we are talking about. half of his at bats this past season were home runs. and all chisox fans must love frank. we need him back til he retires.

Exaggerate much?

and all chisox fans must love frank. we need him back til he retires.

Says who?

They won the World Series with him sitting on his ass for all but 1 month of the year. Why would the Sox need him?

I think you bring him back as a very high reward, low-medium risk type player. He comes back at 80% and can stay healthy, and he's probably a .260 30 80 .925 type player. You take that offensive production for $6-8 mill a year, and the Sox would probably be getting it for $3-5 mill. Of course, you'd also be expecting defense, and the next and only time Frank should put a glove on is when he's playing catch with his kids.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
That's assuming you can GET ESPN 1000 with their crappy ass signal for the next few days.

I know.. all of a sudden I can't get it at work via the radio. What's going on over there..?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:01 AM)
Exaggerate much?

Says who?

They won the World Series with him sitting on his ass for all but 1 month of the year.  Why would the Sox need him?

I think you bring him back as a very high reward, low-medium risk type player.  He comes back at 80% and can stay healthy, and he's probably a .260 30 80 .925 type player.  You take that offensive production for $6-8 mill a year, and the Sox would probably be getting it for $3-5 mill.  Of course, you'd also be expecting defense, and the next and only time Frank should put a glove on is when he's playing catch with his kids.

stop crunching numbers for once and just admit that frank is a part of the white sox. i just think it would be a shame for him to play somewhere else.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
stop crunching numbers for once and just admit that frank is a part of the white sox. i just think it would be a shame for him to play somewhere else.

This is the exact type of thinking that has gotten GMs fired in the past. A player spends a good portion or all of his career with a team then near the end of his career he's kept around for too long and ends up being more of a burden than a asset. I think you need to give up on your giant Frank man crush. The guy was an unbelievable talent for the Sox during his prime but the numbers don't lie, he may never play again let alone be someone you count on to produce for you.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
This is the exact type of thinking that has gotten GMs fired in the past. A player spends a good portion or all of his career with a team then near the end of his career he's kept around for too long and ends up being more of a burden than a asset. I think you need to give up on your giant Frank man crush. The guy was an unbelievable talent for the Sox during his prime but the numbers don't lie, he may never play again let alone be someone you count on to produce for you.

That's not the big question. The big question is...given what Frank can still do even in a limited role...is he worth what his cost would be to your team?

If he is, then who cares about sentiment of the fans?

I think that even if Frank can only give us 300 at bats next year, if the price is low enough, he's going to be the single best option available at DH for those 300 at bats.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
That's not the big question.  The big question is...given what Frank can still do even in a limited role...is he worth what his cost would be to your team?

I think that even if Frank can only give us 300 at bats next year, if the price is low enough, he's going to be the single best option available at DH for those 300 at bats.

I think giving Frank a one year deal with a $1M-$2M base salary + incentives would be a great deal for both sides if KW feels Frank can get 300 ABs out of him.

I just don't like the fact that some people are saying we have to keep Frank around no matter what, I love the guy but if he can't produce anything next year, I don't really want him around.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)

That doesn't mean the Sox should fork him over some money and depend on him. If the Sox depend on him being an everyday DH, this season is toast. He is not going to play a full season ever again. He'll be lucky to play half a season (not saying he won't play another few years, but he'll never be healthy for more than half a aseason at a time).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
That's not the big question.  The big question is...given what Frank can still do even in a limited role...is he worth what his cost would be to your team?

A guy that can't do anything else but be a pinch hitter, is not the type of guy you keep on the bench. It would be stupid to have a complete DH who can't help out in any way other than offensively (and even than thats assuming he's healthy enough to be out on the field every once in a while) sitting on the bench. It makes zero sense to do that.

Plus Frank isn't the type of guy who can sit on the bench for a week, come in for a pinch hit in a key situation and succeed. He needs to get consistent ab's and he's not going to get them in Chicago (he better not). It would be a ridiculous move to do anything other than invite him to camp and see what he could do.

I would not even think about offering the big man a contract. The Sox need to get better at DH and nowhere does getting better mean having Frank Thomas as your starting DH or even as a platoon DH with someone else. Find yourslef a legit player who can step in and play DH at times, at other times play in the field with other guys playing DH. Use the DH as a way to give your guys a little bit of rest, while you still get to keep there bat in the lineup.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
That doesn't mean the Sox should fork him over some money and depend on him.  If the Sox depend on him being an everyday DH, this season is toast.  He is not going to play a full season ever again.  He'll be lucky to play half a season (not saying he won't play another few years, but he'll never be healthy for more than half a aseason at a time).

Yeah, but if Frank can last half the season, KW can always re-re-reacquire Carl Everett at the trade deadline!

I knew this joke was coming, I just wanted in on it....."Ay opoloyie".....

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)

How about Erubiel Durazo as a part time LH DH? He is coming off an injury filled season and would be cheap.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
How about Erubiel Durazo as a part time LH DH? He is coming off an injury filled season and would be cheap.

We are defending world series champs. This isn't a time to be cheap, this isn't a time to think of a short term option and plug him in and hope you get lucky.

This is the time to use the World Series and try and get ourselves another premiere hitter to go with Konerko (or whoever replaces Paulie) and improve this offense just a bit to go with our pitching staff. We don't have any holes to fill aside from getting our 1st baseman back and finding a new DH.

Now is the perfect time to try and make this team a little better to go into next year and give them the best damn chance to defend the title as possible.

Guys like Erubiel Durazo and Frank Thomas, thats what 2nd place teams would do, not defending champs.

This isn't last year where we had a bunch of holes to fill. This is this year, and the only hole out there to fill is DH. Get it done Kenny, I know you will.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)

If they're going to bring in Durazo, I'd rather just bring Frank back. Both have the same problem -- they're both exclusive DHs. Both can hit like hell, but, I doubt that an Ozzie managed team would carry two guys that can only DH.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Guys like Erubiel Durazo and Frank Thomas, thats what 2nd place teams would do, not defending champs. 

If you can bring back Frank Thomas for a $2 million base salary with incentives to take the contract up to $5-6 million, tell me how that's a stupid move?

If you can legitimately get better at BOTH 1B and DH -- say, by bringing in Brian Giles along with resigning Konerko or trading for a Tracy/Delgado -- then, of course, you move on.

But -- if it's doing something like trading for Thome -- then why not just keep the players and stick with Thomas?

Of course you'll need to, by keeping Thomas, strengthen your bench (which, in all honesty, can be as simple as adding Anderson and Gload to it).

Keeping Thomas, at the right price, is a good move.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
If you can bring back Frank Thomas for a $2 million base salary with incentives to take the contract up to $5-6 million, tell me how that's a stupid move? 

If you can legitimately get better at BOTH 1B and DH -- say, by bringing in Brian Giles along with resigning Konerko or trading for a Tracy/Delgado -- then, of course, you move on.

But -- if it's doing something like trading for Thome -- then why not just keep the players and stick with Thomas?

Of course you'll need to, by keeping Thomas, strengthen your bench (which, in all honesty, can be as simple as adding Anderson and Gload to it). 

Keeping Thomas, at the right price, is a good move.

Because the Sox shouldn't settle. Any move where you put reliance on frank being an everyday player is stupid. The Sox have the chips to get a guy like Delgado or a similar bat and need to try the darnest to pursue that.

Plus having Frank on the bench is foolish. I like carrying extra pitchers and having Frank on the bench means you can't do that.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
Because the Sox shouldn't settle.  Any move where you put reliance on frank being an everyday player is stupid.  The Sox have the chips to get a guy like Delgado or a similar bat and need to try the darnest to pursue that. 

Plus having Frank on the bench is foolish.  I like carrying extra pitchers and having Frank on the bench means you can't do that.

I'm not saying carrying Frank on the bench. I'm saying he's your everyday DH.

If the Sox trade for Delgado, do you really see them also going after a Brian Giles? If they do, more power to 'em -- if Williams added Delgado and Brian Giles, this offense instantly becomes a powerhouse.

But I don't see them doing that. I see one major move (be it through a trade for Delgado, resigning Konerko, or adding Giles in FA), maybe a move for another bench player (Burroughs is a possibility), and some cheap bullpen guys (Dotel maybe?) -- that's it.

Thomas, when healthy, is still a very valuable asset. The situation going into 2006 is a little different than the situation going into 2005, because he's had an extra three-four months to heal, without surgery.

I know my feelings w/r/t players like Thomas -- low BA, high SLG, high OBP -- totally differ from yours.

But I still think a healthy Thomas can be a .250/.350/.500 player, which, when you're only paying $3-6 million for, is very valuable.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
I'm not saying carrying Frank on the bench.  I'm saying he's your everyday DH. 

What have the past 3 years shown us about him being a starting everyday player? It shows us that he can't do it. Maybe Griffey should be our everyday DH. At this point I'd have more faith in him staying healthy than Frank (and I have zero faith in either of them staying healthy).

Payroll will be at 85-90 mill, the Sox have the money to resign Konerko and find themslelves a good DH. Even if its a guy like Aubrey Huff (who had a down year last year, but is still a quality hitter in my mind, statistics damned).