Thome rumor

Punch and Judy Garland

I'm going to move this thread in PHT, because in the Philly papers today, they've been mentioning the White Sox with a Thome deal;

One intriguing possible destination emerged yesterday: the world champion White Sox.

Making a pitch for Thome, 35, could be considered out-of-the-box since he was nagged all last season by back and elbow problems. But there are some reasons to believe this makes sense.

Thome has a no-trade clause. But he grew up in nearby Peoria, Ill., and owns a hunting retreat there. And going to a team with a chance to win always has been a priority for Thome.

Further, the White Sox are a rare team that could have pitching to trade. With Brandon McCarthy considered ready to join the rotation next season, Williams might consider trading Freddy Garcia or Jon Garland... especially if the Phillies are willing to pick up a significant portion of the minimum $46 million Thome will make the next 3 years.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Philly would have to pick up ALOT of that deal if we were to trade Garland/Freddy for Thome.

I had a thought about that. Philly has a starting pitcher Vicente Padilla, who IIRC may possibly be traded or non - tended. He's had success as a starting pitcher, or even in the pen before (he won 14 games in 2002 and 2003 with ERA's around 3.50). Maybe KW can work to try and get him included, although then they would pick up less of Thome's deal of course.

Garland would be a PERFECT fit for Philly's ballpark though, being a good groundball pitcher.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
I could be wrong, but I don't see KW reversing his trend by trading a good solid starting pitcher for a slugger.

Philly are in a lot of rumors right now. I read about Vernon Wells for Bobby Abreu this morning. If the do end up needing a center fielder (and most likely an excellent defensive one), you know Rowand or Anderson would definitely appeal to them.

Thome is damaged goods with a huge contract. No way they get a front line pitcher for him from the Sox or anyone else. There is so much injury risk involved, I can't see the Phillies getting much more than prospects. A year ago it would have been different and a year from now it might be different but for the present 193 AB, 7 HR and a .207 BA for 13 million freaking dollars is not going to get you a starter.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
I could be wrong, but I don't see KW reversing his trend by trading a good solid starting pitcher for a slugger.

I agree and hope you're right. In my mind the starting pitching is untouchable, including bmac. I don't see Kenny sending away a proven starter who helped the team dominate the playoffs for a guy who is a big risk.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
I agree and hope you're right. In my mind the starting pitching is untouchable, including bmac. I don't see Kenny sending away a proven starter who helped the team dominate the playoffs for a guy who is a big risk.

Agreed. The only starter (who is really going to end up in the 'pen anyway) I would consider trading (if it were up to me) is El Duque. And I doubt Philly wants him anyway.

But if Frank is out for next year, and Thome can be brought in to DH without giving up a starting picther...

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
I would much rather see the Sox go after Helton than Thome.

Helton and his $16M a year contract through 2010, then $19M in 2011 and $23M with buyout in 2012? No thanks.

If we can't get Paulie at $13M/year for 4 or 5 years, then I wouldn't want that albatross of a contact over our heads. Thome's contract is almost as big money-wise, but only has 3 years on it (instead of 6 to 7), and Philly might be willing to take some of the hit. Colorado has said they won't take part of a contract for a player not on roster.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
Thome is damaged goods with a huge contract.  No way they get a front line pitcher for him from the Sox or anyone else.  There is so much injury risk involved, I can't see the Phillies getting much more than prospects.  A year ago it would have been different and a year from now it might be different but for the present 193 AB, 7 HR and a .207 BA for 13 million freaking dollars is not going to get you a starter.

Exactly. Philly wants to unload Thome big time. the sox wouldn't have to give up much, esp if they ate the contract. Trading a young SP like Garland or Garcia for an old, injured DH is crazy talk.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Philly are in a lot of rumors right now. I read about Vernon Wells for Bobby Abreu this morning. If the do end up needing a center fielder (and most likely an excellent defensive one), you know Rowand or Anderson would definitely appeal to them.

I could see Rowand being moved to Phil. If they had a young SP who could pitch in AA or AAA and be near ready for the bigs by June.

Besides getting a DH bat, and a #2 type hitter, the sox should be set if they re-sign PK. Getting arms for AAA [both bullpen and the rotation] is also a need. The Sox should be set in high A and AA. Yet AAA is thin.

I can't believe the sox would take a shot at acquiring a slow semi-washed up 1st baseman who isnt even close to the all around talent level of konerko. However there is another Phillie that is floating around the rumor mill already, Bobby Abreu. This guy is an absolute star, he can hit 30+ homers, 100+ RBI's and will steal 20-25 bases a year AND HES LEFTY. I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge Abreu fan and nothing would make me happier than to see him in a White Sox uniform next year. So heres the real question, would you trade Rowand or Anderson and Garland for Abreu? Also Abreu's salary must me taken into consideration here, hes owed 29 million for 2006 and 2007 then 16 million in 2008 with a 2 million buyout. Granted thats a big salary but Garland is going to arbitration after a 18 win Cy Young caliber year so who knows how much hes will be getting. I just thought I would throw this out there. :gosox3:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)

I agree with you, I highly doubt he'd trade one of our starters for Thome. I can see Arow maybe being the center piece of a deal though.

I love Thome but how in the world could anybody trade much for him after last season?

He's as big a risk as Big Hurt right now.

Thome was having a horrific year before he got hurt, ending his abysmal season.

Thome is one of those guys that might be done.

They want to dump his salary, Rotoworld is reporting of a Abreu for Wells swap, but they know it wont happen.

This is what kills me about baseball. Teams pay the big bucks, then EVERY offseason you hear this same line. "Team wants to dump so and so's salary."

Uh, owners, you shouldn't have paid these mega salaries to begin with.

My god.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Rowand for Abreu would be sweet, if Philly would do it and Bobby is Venezuelan, another Ozzie brother.

If Philly did that, they would have to be admitted to a mental hospital.

That being said, as a Sox fan, I'm fine with it happening :P