Ozzie wants a new #2 hitter

beck72

BMac41 Posted Today, 08:18 AM

Kenny Lofton is an old piece of s***.The guy sucks now.He's a waste to have on the team.

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
:finger

:sleep Wake me when someone over 13yrs old posts.

Haven't we had problems with BMac41 before?? I think yes!

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/lofiversion/...php/t41959.html

Edited by RibbieRubarb

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
Could Furcal play 2B?  Then have Gooch move to DH (especially if Frank isn't going to be healthy)?

I still don't think Furcal is worth 4yrs/$40M in the Sox' current situation. If we needed a leadoff guy and a SS like the Cubs then yes he would be a nice pickup, I just don't like the idea of paying a guy that kind of money when we really don't have a spot for him to fill.

Trading Crede would be the worst move ever.

If that happened, expect me to rip KW's ass at Soxfest despite the World Championship.

Hell I would go crazy if we traded Crede.

This better not even come up in discussion.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)

If that happened, expect me to rip KW's ass at Soxfest despite the World Championship.

If Boras demands some crazy s*** and Crede validates him... I have no problem showing Joe the door.

It's a valid argument to possibly trade Crede. We all know how great he was done the stretch and in the post-season, but if we do keep him and he goes in one of his early season, long funks, then we will be wishing we traded him earlier. Every year it's the same with Joe, terrible start and heats up late, I love Joe, but we need him to hit .270 ish to stay and I don't know if he can do that.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
Crede (Scot Boras client) traded before his FA year.  Uribe to 3B.  New #2 plays SS?

I agree with this also. Crede has a very short time with the Sox due to his agent. His inconsitency with hitting and the back problems all lead me to believe that he wil be traded either this off season or next.

If Ozzie is looking for a #2 hitter with speed, these are usually CF, 2B or SS. A move with Crede makes sense.

I have always liked Crede and have been a big supporter but relistically with his agent he is not long for this team.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)

Will you feel the same way if he is cracks the bat at a .240 clip at around July of next year. He is the most hot and cold hitter on our team. When he is hot he is great, but then when he goes cold you might as well send a cardboard cutout of Joe up to hit for him. Thank god for us his hot period was during the playoffs.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
If Boras demands some crazy s*** and Crede validates him... I have no problem showing Joe the door.

I guess, but I don't trade a guy who was basically the MVP of the playoffs before the season.

If you get a sense during the season you won't get a deal with him, then maybe you move him. Also I think Crede will do his best to stay, he looks like one of the guys who is having the most fun along with Rowand, AJ, Mark and others.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Will you feel the same way if he is cracks the bat at a .240 clip at around July of next year.  He is the most hot and cold hitter on our team.  When he is hot he is great, but then when he goes cold you might as well send a cardboard cutout of Joe up to hit for him.  Thank god for us his hot period was during the playoffs.

Look at his career numbers in September. He is the best hitter we have in that month. This year he extended that into October. Everyone has a bad month or two, it just so happens that Crede starts slow and then explodes towards the end of the year. I would rather have that than someone who starts fast then bails on you when it counts most down the stretch.

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
I guess, but I don't trade a guy who was basically the MVP of the playoffs before the season.

If you get a sense during the season you won't get a deal with him, then maybe you move him.  Also I think Crede will do his best to stay, he looks like one of the guys who is having the most fun along with Rowand, AJ, Mark and others.

Joe did an amazing job.. I'm not taking anything away from him at all. But I'd be a lot more hesitant to let him go if A. he was more consistant, and B. Boras wasn't his agent. No doubt they had a great time... but memories don't pay the bills. :unsure:

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
It's a valid argument to possibly trade Crede.  We all know how great he was done the stretch and in the post-season, but if we do keep him and he goes in one of his early season, long funks, then we will be wishing we traded him earlier.  Every year it's the same with Joe, terrible start and heats up late, I love Joe, but we need him to hit .270 ish to stay and I don't know if he can do that.

Joe Crede 2005:

Apri - .304/.368/.456/.824 : 2HR

May - .155/.211/.286/.496 : 3HR

June - .275/.333/.538/.871 : 6HR

July - .304/.342/.551/.893 : 4HR

Aug - .103/.148/.172/.320 : 1HR

Sept - .379/.419/.759/1.178 : 6HR

2 bad months

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
To appease the Rally Crede crowd.

How about moving Jolting Joe to 1st base(He has the glove and I am sure can learn the position), DH Kong, and then do the Uribe switch to 3rd base and the mystery SS can take his place.

Hmmmmmm.... Interesting.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Joe did an amazing job.. I'm not taking anything away from him at all. But I'd be a lot more hesitant to let him go if A. he was more consistant, and B. Boras wasn't his agent. No doubt they had a great time... but memories don't pay the bills.  :unsure:

Career in September: .321, 17 HR, 67 RBI, .902 OPS, 26 doubles.

Say what you want about Crede, but he is clutch in September and his playoff numbers were outstanding this year.

Without him, we don't win the series IMO.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)

Say what you want about Crede, but he is clutch in September and his playoff numbers were outstanding this year.

Plus we all love the glove...I'm really not against moving anyone on this team, except McCarthy. This is when players will want to come here, so lets get the best team assembled we can.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)

For the second time.. I agree. But the $$ Boras is going to want for him.. I don't think 6 weeks of production is worth it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Joe Crede 2005:

Apri - .304/.368/.456/.824 : 2HR

May - .155/.211/.286/.496 : 3HR

June - .275/.333/.538/.871 : 6HR

July - .304/.342/.551/.893 : 4HR

Aug - .103/.148/.172/.320 : 1HR

Sept - .379/.419/.759/1.178 : 6HR

2 bad months

And he was hurt in August. May was terrible. That was it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
For the second time.. I agree. But the $$ Boras is going to want for him.. I don't think 6 weeks of production is worth it.

What about the two months this season where Konerko royally sucked? Look at his numbers in April and May. They were god awful. Also, what happened in 2003?

People want to pay him 14 million?

For a guy who hasn't sniffed .300 since 2002?

I mean look at it, Crede came up just as big as Konerko during the playoffs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
To appease the Rally Crede crowd.

How about moving Jolting Joe to 1st base(He has the glove and I am sure can learn the position), DH Kong, and then do the Uribe switch to 3rd base and the mystery SS can take his place.

Good thought, but I'd be afraid we'd be seriously downgrading on defense. Uribe is foreign to 3B so he'd struggle at least a little, so 3B loses some D. Crede is a great defender but is also foreign to 1B, so while he'll increase the range there, I'd be he'll make quite a few more errors. And then you get a mystery guy at SS, where Uribe is one of the better defenders in the league. Downgrades defensively all around.