What we all suspected is true

JUGGERNAUT

http://www.suntimes.com/output/worldseries...soxstuff11.html

Top seller since 1991, MLB can't keep up with demand since they won the WS.

3rd greatest hot market:

1) Boston 2004

2) NYY-NYM subway series 2000

3) Chicago White Sox 2005

MLB sold the most programs in LEAGUE HISTORY during game 1 of the WS in Chicago.

It just stands to reason that if you have been ranking near the bottom in attendance every year but in the middle of the pack in revenue you must be near the top in other revenue sources. This confirms that.

The avg ticket price is going up $1-$4. Mostly a reflection of prime game pricing. But keep in mind the team collects 10's of millions in parking revenue each year. I'm not sure if that can be said for most of the other 30 teams.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
But keep in mind the team collects 10's of millions in parking revenue each year. 

They don't get 100% of that revenue as the Sox don't run the parking. They don't even own the lots.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
MLB sold the most programs in LEAGUE HISTORY during game 1 of the WS in Chicago.

One of those purchases was me, glad I could help out and put them over the top. :D

Hey, if I couldn't get into the park for the game, I at least needed to drop a bunch of money at the parking lot concessions.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
Who owns the lots?

Don't know but the parking prices are outrageous for those lots. I'm guessing they are at or near the top in parking lots prices. Edison Field is $7.Dodgers is $10.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Don't know but the parking prices are outrageous for those lots. I'm guessing they are at or near the top in parking lots prices. Edison Field is $7.Dodgers is $10.

A real estate group.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
I always thought the group that ran the team ran the parking, thus parking could be purchased through the team. 

I would venture to guess that as the parking revenue goes up, so does the cut the White Sox get.

Not in this case. A private group owns them. I have no idea of the deal the union has with the Sox, or if it's with the ISA - who leases the lots from the group. I'm sure the Sox get a cut, but what it is I have no idea. It's not 10's of millions of $$'s though.

Chicago isn't the 3rd largest market. As much as I'd like to be biased.

Anaheim and LA both drew over 3 million fans. One at 3.4 the other around 3.6 and I assume the Padres did 3 million again as well. SoCal is a baseball hot bed right now.

Thats just me commenting on Juggs:

Boston

New York

Chicago

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxpay18.html

1) The ISFA gets $1.24M/yr in rent plus $4 for the first 500,000 full-priced tickets sold after attendance reaches 1.5 million.

2) The ISFA gets $1.5 for all full priced tickets sold after attendance reaches 2 million.

The Sox get all reg season rev from concessions, parking, & merch sales.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxpay18.html

1) The ISFA gets $1.24M/yr in rent plus $4 for the first 500,000 full-priced tickets sold after attendance reaches 1.5 million.

2) The ISFA gets $1.5 for all full priced tickets sold after attendance reaches 2 million.

The Sox get all reg season rev from concessions, parking, & merch sales.

And... ?

What does that have to do with your incorrect information about the Sox making 10's of $$'s of dollars from parking...?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
The White Sox have always been up there in merch sales from what I understand.  I guess our gear just looks cool.

:D

I go to school right now and all I see is sox gear. Hell I go anywhere right now and all I see is sox gear. Thats pretty cool but sometimes it kind of ticks me off because then I think "where the hell were you asses when the sox were slumping?" :fight :stick

This article strikes at the heart of the issue & this was back in 2001-2002:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1599

2001 atend: Cub 2779465, CWS 1766172

2001 reven: Cub 131M, CWS 101M

Per patron revenue (attend / reven ): Cub $47.13, CWS $57.19

If you apply the Cub figure to CWS attend you get : $83,242,110.

Now both teams undoubtedly do their best to hide non-gate related revenue. But the one thing that the CWS have that the Cubs don't is parking related revenue & you can't hide that because it is directly linked to attendance. It's a safe bet that a good portion of that $18M is coming from parking related revenue.

This year the White Sox drew 2,342,834.

2001 $57.19 figure : $133,976,891.27 2005 total

2001 $47.13 figure : $110,420,981.74 2005 total

But of course the prices have gone up at US Cellular field since 2001 so the 2005 figure is likely to be 10% higher. That means the regular season reported revenue should be close to $147M or $16M more than the Cub reported revenue of 2001.

Now 2.4M might not look like much in comparison to the Cub's 3.1M but it is good enough to move the White Sox into the top 10 in revenue in MLB for 2005 & the post-season could conceivably push them into the top 5 since they didn't have to share $1 w the ISFA.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
I go to school right now and all I see is sox gear. Hell I go anywhere right now and all I see is sox gear. Thats pretty cool but sometimes it kind of ticks me off because then I think "where the hell were you asses when the sox were slumping?" :fight  :stick

Maybe out on the ledge with everybody else? :D

You know what's really shocking about the ISFA story? The 2001 re-vamp of the contract with the White Sox was tied to the renovations. It was coming off of the 2000 season yet they didn't have the foresight to include anything about post-season revenue in the contract? What were they thinking that it was a fluke? Were they even thinking?

The White Sox couldn't go forward with the renovations & the naming rights w/out ISFA approval. So they had new bargaining power in 2001. This was a chance for the ISFA to really work the post-season to their advantage. They might have even been able to go as high as $10 per admission & a % of non-gate sales.

In the absence of that we have to conclude it was simply overlooked entirely by the ISFA. Perhaps it's part of the Cub mentality that still grips the state :D

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
It wasn't implying that Chicago is the 3rd largest MLB market overall.  It was stating it's the 3rd hottest market in MLB post-season history with respect to sales.  With respect to LAA in 2002 the 2005 CWS eclipsed them in post-season non-gate sales.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/worldseries...soxworth31.html

It should be near the top. I'm sure these are gross sales, not real sales. The locker room championship hat probably didn't cost $28 a few years ago.