Will you buy XBox 360?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy XBox 360?

• Hell Ya
    • Maybe
    • Hell No
    • PS3 bitch!
    • I still have Atari

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Speaking of checking ones mailbox filled with antica

pation...

:ph34r:

Nice Rocky ref.

You had just better keep checking - Elvis has left the building at this end, for real and true.

Damn, now did I forget to put stamps on that thing . . . ?

:)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
My buddy pre-ordered in June and didnt get one.

Which tells you they are artificially creating a demand to hype the buzz.

If Microsoft knew how many preorders there were from June – and also authorized that number of preorders I assume – there is no excuse for not being able to ramp up production to provide that many units 5 months later.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 07:15 AM)
And yes I will get the PS3 when it comes out, so I can play Socom PS3 version when it comes out. 

You play Socom? Online?

My brother -- he's at Loyola now -- actually took my PS2 so he could have it in his apartment. Of course, this was about six months ago, when I didn't even know there was going to be a Socom 3.

Needless to say, I ended up purchasing another PS2 just so I could play Socom. I love that game -- probably my favorite online game ever.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Which tells you they are artificially creating a demand to hype the buzz.

If Microsoft knew how many preorders there were from June – and also authorized that number of preorders I assume – there is no excuse for not being able to ramp up production to provide that many units 5 months later.

Yep.

I think I heard that they were gonna have 1 million available at launch but only have 400,000.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: That SUCKS for the person who just lost over $1,000. First time buyer as well. :lol:

I somehow doubt the buyer lost anything. The seller was kicked off Ebay.

That's almost as bad as the dude that sold an empty PS2 box when they first came out.

It was pretty funny because it said right in the description that it was the box only. Somebody paid a couple hundred dollars for it and didn't realize they'd been deceived until they got the empty box in the mail...

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Not really, moreso that stupid Mountain Dew promotion where they gave one away every 10 minutes.  The demand is actually very high on these, microsoft just couldnt produce enuogh to supply the launch demand, they certainly are not gonna keep it from people that they are hard to obtain and the gift of the season.  My buddy pre-ordered in June and didnt get one.

Do you really believe that the biggest company in the world can't make a few more Xbox's? Seriously? This is the same company that can crank out 80 gazillion copies of Windows when it comes out every few years, do you ever hear about shortages or capacity problems with ANY other MSFT product EVER? Yet it just so happens to be in the same product category, and at the exact same time of year that everyone always has a shortage of their brandnew gaming system.

This scarcity is COMPLETELY manufacured (or lack there of I guess would be more acurate). They want to create a huge demand for it, complete with people paying $1000 a piece on Ebay so that in March when they do have them available you will RUN out to buy one at the bargin price of only $400 each, and feel lucky that you got one. This is just excellent marketing, nothing more.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
Do you really believe that the biggest company in the world can't make a few more Xbox's?  Seriously?  This is the same company that can crank out 80 gazillion copies of Windows when it comes out every few years, do you ever hear about shortages or capacity problems with ANY other MSFT product EVER?  Yet it just so happens to be in the same product category, and at the exact same time of year that everyone always has a shortage of their brandnew gaming system.

This scarcity is COMPLETELY manufacured (or lack there of I guess would be more acurate).  They want to create a huge demand for it, complete with people paying $1000 a piece on Ebay so that in March when they do have them available you will RUN out to buy one at the bargin price of only $400 each, and feel lucky that you got one.  This is just excellent marketing, nothing more.

*DING* Winnar. I think I already said that in much fewer words, windbag. :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
Do you really believe that the biggest company in the world can't make a few more Xbox's?  Seriously?  This is the same company that can crank out 80 gazillion copies of Windows when it comes out every few years, do you ever hear about shortages or capacity problems with ANY other MSFT product EVER?  Yet it just so happens to be in the same product category, and at the exact same time of year that everyone always has a shortage of their brandnew gaming system.

This scarcity is COMPLETELY manufacured (or lack there of I guess would be more acurate).  They want to create a huge demand for it, complete with people paying $1000 a piece on Ebay so that in March when they do have them available you will RUN out to buy one at the bargin price of only $400 each, and feel lucky that you got one.  This is just excellent marketing, nothing more.

I doubt it. This is the very first ever worldwide(meaning same day everywhere in the whole world) launch of any product like this. They only had 8 months to invent and then manufacture the machines. Skeptics said they weren't going to be able to do it. And Simply put, they haven't. They were only able to get 400,000 units in the states. It could of sold as much as 2 million.

That's just too big of a difference for MS to be playing around.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
You play Socom?  Online?

My brother -- he's at Loyola now -- actually took my PS2 so he could have it in his apartment.  Of course, this was about six months ago, when I didn't even know there was going to be a Socom 3.

Needless to say, I ended up purchasing another PS2 just so I could play Socom.  I love that game -- probably my favorite online game ever.

I was addicted to SOCOM II Online for a few months where I would spend all of my free time doing nothing but playing Desert Glory online for hours on end. I got great with the M87ELR and the M4A1 SD (also the silenced sub-machine gun, forgot the name). Then like most things I just quit cold turkey. My clan was f***ing pissed when one day I just stopped playing altogether but it was for the best.

Now with SOCOM III comming out I'm afraid my obsession could come back if they have Desert Glory or Fish Hook on the game, though my current schedule may not allow for such an obsession to take hold.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I doubt it. This is the very first ever worldwide(meaning same day everywhere in the whole world) launch of any product like this. They only had 8 months to invent and then manufacture the machines. Skeptics said they weren't going to be able to do it. And Simply put, they haven't. They were only able to get 400,000 units in the states. It could of sold as much as 5 million.

That's just too big of a difference for MS to be playing around.

The thing is by making it scarce early, they will sell every bit of those 5 million and more. They might not sell them today, but those people who were edgy about spending $300-400 for this if they could have gotten them at anytime are going to JUMP on this at the soonest moment because of the percieved demand, and view themselves as "lucky" for waiting to get it at "only" a few hundred dollars as opposed to what those idiots on Ebay are spending.

This is all marketing. You have to think past today. They will make a ton more money by convincing people of how rare they are, and that they need to jump at the chance to get them, instead of your local WMT having a 100 of them so you can stroll down at anytime and get one.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Of course the scarcity is manufactured, but making more XBOX360s is certainly a lot more involved than burning some WinXP cds and stuffing them in a box.

There are also millions less of these shipped every year than Windows.

Microsoft is the biggest company in the world. If they wanted these done, they would be done.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
Reports out are saying that a good majority of  360's are crashing.

Not good for Microsoft.

To quote the kid from the Simpsons "HA HA!".

Just one more reason I will never buy a game system on it's launch date (unless it's to sell it on Ebay for 10X what I paid for it ;) ).

I remember Sony having lots of problems with the first wave of PS2s as well.

Biggest company or not, I don't think even MS had the manufacturing capacity to pull off a worldwide release like this. And from the sounds of the crashing problems people have been having, it sounds like they were already rushing with the amount they produced.

This could be huge for Sony if the 360 starts developing a bad reliability reputation.