JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait... i just thought you were saying they do not count when a player is thrown out at home as an outfield assist.

I think fathom was wondering if any of Rowand's 3 assists came from throwing a runner out at home. I personally don't remember Rowand throwing anyone out at home. I could be wrong though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan1022 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
this may take a while :P , but i will try to name the ones off the top of my head:

Ichiro

Dye

Vlad

Rivera LAA

s*** i cant think of any right now :chair , but he has to be in the top 1/3 of arms in the al

On our own team, Dye, Timo. Should we just focus on our own division, or should we go across the whole AL?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan1022 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
but he did have one of the stronger arms in the AL

:lol:

We can go by Assists if you like, or just overall arm strength

Manny 17

T long 12

V Wells 12

J Jones 10

C monroe 10

Ichiro 10

E brown 9

Dye 9

Lew Ford 9

T Hunter 9

Vlad 8

Hollins 8

Mench 8

Nixon 8

DeJesus 7

Gomes 7

Kotsay 7

Matos 7

Matsui 7

Mathews 7

Reed 7

Rios 7

Stewart 7

im stopping there.

Assists numbers can be misleading.Of course manny lead the league cause he played the ball well of the Monster. His arm is average at best. Now Ichiro and Vlad's numbers are down cause of no one taking chances.

If you wanna talk about cannons. I got 3 in mind. Jesse Barfield, Dwight Evans and Roberto Clemente

Lots of stories in the papers today about Pierre possibly to the Sox;

But the White Sox have the better goods to lock up Pierre.

The Sox, however, are shopping Damaso Marte, who had been their left-handed setup man until Neal Cotts assumed the role late in the regular season and into the postseason. Marte, who turns 31 on Feb. 14, is entering the final year of a three-year, $4.5 million contract that calls for a $2.25 million salary in 2006.

Marte was at the center of trade talks between the Sox and Marlins -- involving a discussed trade for pitcher A.J. Burnett -- before the July 31 non-waivers trading deadline. The Marlins are still believed to be interested in Marte despite his second-half struggles. In 34 outings before the All-Star break, he was 3-2 with a 2.81 ERA. After the break, he went 0-1 with a 5.03 ERA.

A sore spot with the Sox was Marte's struggles against left-handed batters last season, allowing a .267 batting average compared to .244 by right-handed hitters.

Marte will try to rebound by pitching in the Dominican winter league, agent Martin Arburua said.

Arburua added he would not be surprised if the Sox dealt his client.

"Before the trade deadline, yes, they were shopping him,'' Arburua said. "It would not surprise me. They have Neal Cotts now, who is a solid lefty and really came on this year.''

If the Sox land Pierre, they likely would bat him second behind Scott Podsednik. Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, who batted second this past season, could be dropped lower in the lineup, where the Sox could take advantage of his power. A Pierre deal would push center fielder Aaron Rowand out the door.

The Marlins might also have interest in Rowand, who will earn $3.25 million next season.

Ozzie knows all about Pierre. If he thinks adding Pierre [at the expense of Rowand probably, who'd have to be dealt to another team to make room] would make the sox a better team, then a few things would be clear:

1] Pierre's offense [ability to get onbase, steal bases, hit near .300] would help the sox score more runs on a consistent basis

2] Pierre's speed in the OF would take away more hits then his arm will give up

3] Pierre and Pods in the same OF wouldn't weaken the sox overall defense

Ozzie knows all about Pierre. If he thinks adding Pierre [at the expense of Rowand probably, who'd have to be dealt to another team to make room] would make the sox a better team, then a few things would be clear:

1] Pierre's offense [ability to get onbase, steal bases, hit near .300] would help the sox score more runs on a consistent basis

I love the idea of a 1-2 of Pods and Pierre, especially if we have a lot of power at first base and DH with Dye batting fifth.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:34 AM)

I love Pierre but there really is no where to play him unless like you said Aaron gets dealt for something else. To be honest I don't recall seeing Juan play the outfield very often so I really have no opinion on his defense one way or the other.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
I love the idea of a 1-2 of Pods and Pierre, especially if we have a lot of power at first base and DH with Dye batting fifth.

Of course our OF defense will definitely be weakened. It also means that 1 of Pods or Pierre probably won't be around in 2007 I'd say, considering the OF prospects we have waiting in the wings.

For their price, defense, and offensive potential, I would rather Aaron Rowand in the outfield than Juan Pierre for the Sox next year. I don't really understand why the Sox want Pierre so much in the first place, or at least, appear to want him so much.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
Of course our OF defense will definitely be weakened. It also means that 1 of Pods or Pierre probably won't be around in 2007 I'd say, considering the OF prospects we have waiting in the wings.

That would be Pierre, since, correct me if I'm wrong, but his contract is up after this year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
For their price, defense, and offensive potential, I would rather Aaron Rowand in the outfield than Juan Pierre for the Sox next year.  I don't really understand why the Sox want Pierre so much in the first place, or at least, appear to want him so much.

Cause that 1-2 would be devastating on opposing pitchers, and would just cause chaos on the base paths. Like I said though I want to see Juan play cf cause I don't recall whether he's good or not.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
I love Pierre but there really is no where to play him unless like you said Aaron gets dealt for something else.  To be honest I don't recall seeing Juan play the outfield very often so I really have no opinion on his defense one way or the other.

Over the past 3 seasons, Pierre's RAA (Runs Above Average at this position) has been -14, -11 and -6. Aaron Rowand's was 2 in 2004 and 7 in 2005.

I'm not sure how devestating that 1-2 would be. They each are basically the same type of player, and to hit in the 2 hole for Ozzie, you have to have great bat control and move the runner over, like Iguchi did this year. Can Pierre/Pods actually do that?

I know they can get slap singles, but I'm not completely sure they have the best bat control in the world to be that effective at the top of the order.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:43 AM)
I'm not sure how devestating that 1-2 would be.  They each are basically the same type of player, and to hit in the 2 hole for Ozzie, you have to have great bat control and move the runner over, like Iguchi did this year.  Can Pierre/Pods actually do that?

I know they can get slap singles, but I'm not completely sure they have the best bat control in the world to be that effective at the top of the order.

Pierre can definitely bunt, that is one thing I know for sure. If the Sox really want Pierre then it's most likely Ozzie driving that bandwagon since he knows Pierre very well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
Scott's is as well.

True, but he's not bound to make probably $6+ million :P

Then again, we might have prospects ready to take both their spots in 2007. I'm not really sure how far along they are, but I'm pretty sure Sweeney is projected for a 2007 debut.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)

Basically I did a quick google search and this is majorly what I found;

Pierre has excellent bat control, walks more than he strikes out, has blazing speed and good bunting ability.

I'm not sure how devestating that 1-2 would be.  They each are basically the same type of player, and to hit in the 2 hole for Ozzie, you have to have great bat control and move the runner over, like Iguchi did this year.  Can Pierre/Pods actually do that?

Pierre is one of the best bunters in the MLB and he barely strikes out. :huh: He is the exact opposite of Rowand.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
True, but he's not bound to make probably $6+ million :P

Then again, we might have prospects ready to take both their spots in 2007.  I'm not really sure how far along they are, but I'm pretty sure Sweeney is projected for a 2007 debut.

Personally I can't see Sweeney being up until 2008. He's shown no power at all in AA, and I don't think you'll see a HUGE improvement from him in that aspect, although no doubt it should improve. Right now, Anderson, Owens and Young would be ahead of him to be used in the majors.

Pierre's scouting report after the 2004 season:

For the third time in the past four years, Pierre banged out 200 hits. It's no accident. Though he could show more patience for a leadoff hitter, his remarkable hand-eye coordination allows him to put almost any ball in play. He is fearless against lefties and doesn't give in against anybody, Randy Johnson included. He saw more hard stuff on the inner half last year, putting a crimp in his slap-and-dash ways. So Pierre eventually adjusted and started pulling more pitches between the first and second basemen. Always thinking, he's not afraid to be innovative at the plate. He didn't bunt as much in the first half, but started to reclaim that part of his repertoire after the break.