Hank Blalock

TheKillerB's

Besides the fact that I am a huge Blalock fan, why arent the sox pursuing this guy? The could lose Paulie, trade for Blalock and move him to first. Hes the big left handed bat that could really help the lineup. Forget Thome and Delgado who may be better hitters but are way older and are way more expensive.

He's 24 years old, career .274 power hitter, has hit 25+ homers each year since hes gotten in the league, and is only making 850,000 bucks. Seems like quite the fit if hes willing to move to first or if crede is shipped off. And apparently Texas is willing to trade him for pitching (ie Beckett and Lowell), so with Garland becoming a free agent next year (barring a contract which is unlikely) why not deal him for Blalock. Its just a thought but it makes sense to me, what do you guys think? :gosox3:

Yeah, all we'd have to do is trade Josh Beckett to get him... Oh wait. We don't have a Beckett on our team. Nobody.

Expesive guys who don't cost us a lot in terms of players are a much better fit for us, since we're trying to repeat, and have most everyone returning. We can add payroll. We should add payroll.

I'm not giving up McCarthy so I can have a glorified Carl Everett again.

Per espn..

The Marlins, if that deal would have been completed, then would turn around and trade Blalock, who would block Miguel Cabrera's return to third base if Florida kept him. Teams known to be interested in Blalock include the Twins, Phillies and Devil Rays.

They have the pitching to make it happen, does someone what to figure out how well he hits us?

2003: .872 OPS

2004: .855 OPS

2005: .749 OPS

Also, his career pre and post all-star break numbers:

Pre-All Star: .294/.356/.506/.862

Post-All Star: .248/.314/.426/.740

He's been declining for the past three years and he get's worse as the season goes on. His career September OPS is a pathetic .688. At this point he's no better than Crede and he'd come at a high cost.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
2003: .872 OPS

2004: .855 OPS

2005: .749 OPS

Also, his career pre and post all-star break numbers:

Pre-All Star: .294/.356/.506/.862

Post-All Star: .248/.314/.426/.740

He's been declining for the past three years and he get's worse as the season goes on. His career September OPS is a pathetic .688. At this  point he's no better than Crede and he'd come at a high cost.

Bingo. The summer in Arlington effect. 60 days of 90+ degree temps just saps that team every year. Look at their seasons, they ALWAYS fall apart in August and September. It will be interesting to see what Blalock would do in a moderate climate.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:06 AM)
Bingo.  The summer in Arlington effect.  60 days of 90+ degree temps just saps that team every year.  Look at their seasons, they ALWAYS fall apart in August and September.  It will be interesting to see what Blalock would do in a moderate climate.

Is Florida really that much more moderate. I mean its humid and hot there or thats what I always here. I've never been there, but I'm guessing its pretty miserable there during the summer as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Is Florida really that much more moderate.  I mean its humid and hot there or thats what I always here.  I've never been there, but I'm guessing its pretty miserable there during the summer as well.

It's in the seventies and eighties every day and it ends up raining for about ten minutes every day at some point it seems. I would think it is a very good playing condition.

Is Florida really that much more moderate.  I mean its humid and hot there or thats what I always here.  I've never been there, but I'm guessing its pretty miserable there during the summer as well.

i've been to florida more times than i can count, and let me assure you that florida has beautiful weather year round. Sure it's occasionally muggy, but by no means is it miserable year round.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
a lot of you guys vastly underrate Blalock. I think he obviously has some kinks and could stand to fall less in love with the fences but he's a great fielder and will be a terrific player for a long time. He's still very young

You could say the same about Crede, could you not?