Carlos Delgado traded to NY Mets

maki

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

November 23, 2005, 8:13 AM EST

The Mets have reached an agreement for a trade to bring Carlos Delgado from the Marlins, Newsday has learned. The trade won't be finalized until medical examinations of the players involved are complete and commissioner Bud Selig signs off on the deal.

The Mets have agreed to send righthanded pitching prospect Yusmeiro Petit and young first baseman Mike Jacobs to the Marlins for Delgado, according to someone familiar with the deal. As part of the deal, the Marlins will send $7 million back to the Mets to cover part of the $48 million remaining on Delgado's contract.

Delgado does not have veto powers over a trade.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
November 23, 2005, 8:13 AM EST

The Mets have reached an agreement for a trade to bring Carlos Delgado from the Marlins, Newsday has learned. The trade won't be finalized until medical examinations of the players involved are complete and commissioner Bud Selig signs off on the deal.

The Mets have agreed to send righthanded pitching prospect Yusmeiro Petit and young first baseman Mike Jacobs to the Marlins for Delgado, according to someone familiar with the deal. As part of the deal, the Marlins will send $7 million back to the Mets to cover part of the $48 million remaining on Delgado's contract.

Delgado does not have veto powers over a trade.

Sorry, but this is a pet peave of mine. Where did this come from? What is the source? It's frustrating to see what looks like a news excerpt, but could be something pulled off of a fantasy site (as has happened here before) or just about anywhere else.

Please cite your sources, folks. Thanks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234421

Marlins reach deal to trade Delgado to Mets

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- One season later, Carlos Delgado is headed to the New York Mets.

Carlos Delgado

First Base

Florida Marlins

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

144 33 115 81 .399 .301

The Mets reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to acquire Delgado and $7 million from the Florida Marlins for first baseman Mike Jacobs and pitcher Yusmeiro Petit, a baseball official familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not final.

It is the second tentative deal struck this week by the payroll-slashing Marlins, who also have a pending agreement to send 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett to the Boston Red Sox for three prospects.

New York would receive $7 million from the Marlins as part of the trade to offset the $48 million Delgado is owed over the next three seasons. The first baseman turned down the Mets' offer last January to accept a $52 million, four-year contract from the Marlins. But while New York offered a no-trade clause, Florida did not.

The sides have not yet agreed on how to spread the money, the official said, with the Mets proposing Florida pays $1 million next year, $2 million in 2007 and $4 million in 2008. The Marlins proposed paying $2.5 million in 2007 and $4.5 million in 2008.

The commissioner's office, which must approve the trade because more than $1 million is changing hands, will make the final decision, the official said.

The tentative deal was first reported by Newsday on its Web site after the Daily News reported Wednesday that a trade could be imminent.

In addition to Delgado's salary, the Mets must fulfill a provision in his contract that provides for state tax equalization. The official estimated that would come to between $300,000 and $450,000 next year.

Because he is a veteran player traded during a multiyear contract, Delgado would have the right to file a trade demand during the 15 days following next year's World Series.

Delgado received $4 million last season and is owed $13.5 million in 2006, $14.5 million in 2007 and $16 million in 2008. His contract contains a club option for 2009 at $12 million with a $4 million buyout but it could become guaranteed at $16 million depending on how he finishes in MVP voting and whether he wins postseason MVP awards.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Sorry, but this is a pet peave of mine.  Where did this come from?  What is the source?  It's frustrating to see what looks like a news excerpt, but could be something pulled off of a fantasy site (as has happened here before) or just about anywhere else.

Please cite your sources, folks.  Thanks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234421

Marlins reach deal to trade Delgado to Mets

NEW YORK -- One season later, Carlos Delgado is headed to the New York Mets.

The Mets reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to acquire Delgado and $7 million from the Florida Marlins for first baseman Mike Jacobs and pitcher Yusmeiro Petit, a baseball official familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not final.

It is the second tentative deal struck this week by the payroll-slashing Marlins, who also have a pending agreement to send 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett to the Boston Red Sox for three prospects.

New York would receive $7 million from the Marlins as part of the trade to offset the $48 million Delgado is owed over the next three seasons. The first baseman turned down the Mets' offer last January to accept a $52 million, four-year contract from the Marlins. But while New York offered a no-trade clause, Florida did not.

The sides have not yet agreed on how to spread the money, the official said, with the Mets proposing Florida pays $1 million next year, $2 million in 2007 and $4 million in 2008. The Marlins proposed paying $2.5 million in 2007 and $4.5 million in 2008.

The commissioner's office, which must approve the trade because more than $1 million is changing hands, will make the final decision, the official said.

The tentative deal was first reported by Newsday on its Web site after the Daily News reported Wednesday that a trade could be imminent.

In addition to Delgado's salary, the Mets must fulfill a provision in his contract that provides for state tax equalization. The official estimated that would come to between $300,000 and $450,000 next year.

Because he is a veteran player traded during a multiyear contract, Delgado would have the right to file a trade demand during the 15 days following next year's World Series.

Delgado received $4 million last season and is owed $13.5 million in 2006, $14.5 million in 2007 and $16 million in 2008. His contract contains a club option for 2009 at $12 million with a $4 million buyout but it could become guaranteed at $16 million depending on how he finishes in MVP voting and whether he wins postseason MVP awards.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
Sorry, but this is a pet peave of mine.  Where did this come from?  What is the source?  It's frustrating to see what looks like a news excerpt, but could be something pulled off of a fantasy site (as has happened here before) or just about anywhere else.

its from Newsday and they also had it on ESPN Radio

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)

Wow, a pet peave of mine is laying down ground rules on a messageboard in which you have only 194 posts.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Wow, a pet peave of mine is laying down ground rules on a messageboard in which you have only 194 posts.

Not a rule - just a request. I've seen too many posts here that were questionable, so I just want to know where it came from. And it's common courtesy to the writers to do that anyway.

Of course, this story is all over the board now, so no matter in this case.

I remember when Delgado was a free agent in Toronto, they asked him about the White Sox and he said that he hates US Cellular field and wouldn't sign with the Sox, no matter what. So, even though he would be a good fit for the Sox, I wasn't holding my breath.

Edited by Irishsox1

QUOTE(Irishsox1 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I remember when Delgado was a free agent in Toronto, they asked him about the White Sox and he said that he hates US Cellular field and wouldn't sign with the Sox, no matter what.  So, even though he would be a good fit for the Sox, I wasn't holding my breath.

He did turn down a trade here at the 2004 trading deadline as well.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
And considering he has the right to demand a trade, like Vasquez, it probably wouldn't have been a very good trade.

We couldn't have come close to matching the mets anyway.

Yeah, Mike Jacobs is a Supa Stah

Scouts hate Petit. But yeah, that was an unbeatable deal.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Yeah, Mike Jacobs is a Supa Stah

Scouts hate Petit.  But yeah, that was an unbeatable deal.

They wanted a team to take most of his salary. We wouldn't do that. They wanted a team's high prospects. Petit is ranked right behind Milledge according to most minor league sites. Jacobs 4th. We would have had to give up similar prospects in our system that high. Plus Delgado didn't want to come here and would have demanded a trade in the offseason. He likes NYY much better than us.

But yah, other than those small things we could have gotten him for next to nothing. :lolhitting

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
They wanted a team to take most of his salary. We wouldn't do that. They wanted a team's high prospects. Petit is ranked right behind Milledge according to most minor league sites. Jacobs 4th. We would have had to give up similar prospects in our system that high. Plus Delgado didn't want to come here and would have demanded a trade in the offseason. He likes NYY much better than us.

But yah, other than those small things we could have gotten him for next to nothing.  :lolhitting

So wait, you know exactly what salary we were willing to take on?

The Mets were able to acquire D without using anyone (essentially, Jacobs would have been their starting 1B) from their 25 man roster. Isn't that exactly what the defending World Champion should be trying to do?

Yeah he cost prospects. That's what they're for.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
So wait, you know exactly what salary we were willing to take on?

The Mets were able to acquire D without using anyone (essentially, Jacobs would have been their starting 1B) from their 25 man roster. Isn't that exactly what the defending World Champion should be trying to do?

Yeah he cost prospects. That's what they're for.

Yah, 2 of the best prospects in the system for a 1-year rental, one that costs 12.5 million that the Mets will have to pay for him next year.

Forgive me if I wouldn't do that.