Wagner signs on the the Mets

GreatScott82

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
This is a truly horrible signing.  Wagner is 34 years old right now.  Does anyone think he will still have his 100 MPH fastball or not get injured by the time he is 38 and his contract is up?

See Roger Clemens. Granted Wagner will not always have a 100 mph fastball, but even if he declines, I am sure he will still be throwing mid-90's in a couple of years. The last year will probably bite the Mets.

I am sure this offer went up a couple of million after that horrible Ryan deal.

Also, this is topic was also posted in the "Around the Horn" forum:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43663

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
ESPN reports: Billy Wagner signs a 4 year deal worth about 43 million with the New York Mets.

Wow once again the Mets overpay for a player. Wagner is good. BUT he is gettin up there in age. With the thin pitching market this year- i'm happy were thick with pitching.

What do you expect? The baseball retarded Blue Jays set the market with that horrible deal they gave B.J. Ryan. Expect very inflated prices for relief pitchers this offseason. See the Cubs who overpayed for two middle relievers. Youre right though its good were pretty much set with pitching.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
See Roger Clemens.  Granted Wagner will not always have a 100 mph fastball, but even if he declines, I am sure he will still be throwing mid-90's in a couple of years.  The last year will probably bite the Mets.

I am sure this offer went up a couple of million after that horrible Ryan deal.

Also, this is topic was also posted in the "Around the Horn" forum:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43663

See Billy Koch.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Koch didn't lose velocity because of age.  it was all mental with him.  either way, 10+ million for a reliever, someone who only comes in when your team has the lead?

whatever, Mets will still suck.

Whatever the reason, he suddenly lost his velocity.

What the heck is it with these teams throwing all this money at pitching...could the "White Sox Effect" be in play here?...or just desperate times?!?

Do you think the A's spent too much throwing a three-year contract worth nearly $21.4 million to Esteban Loaiza? While that's not out of line for a staring pitcher...for him it is IMO.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
What the heck is it with these teams throwing all this money at pitching...could the "White Sox Effect" be in play here?...or just desperate times?!?

Do you think the A's spent too much throwing a three-year contract worth nearly $21.4 million to Esteban Loaiza?  While that's not out of line for a staring pitcher...for him it is IMO.

I think your main problem is the "Desperate times" part...there's simply no one available on this FA Market, so teams with money to spend from attendence boosts and revenue boosts this year aren't being smart about how they spend it.

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 04:19 AM)
well, heads should roll in head offices then

The Mets have got that new TV deal starting, so they won't care how much they spend really, even though it ain't really right.

On another topic, I wonder how Steve Phillips is feeling right now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
The Mets have got that new TV deal starting, so they won't care how much they spend really, even though it ain't really right.

On another topic, I wonder how Steve Phillips is feeling right now.

He doesn't care, he was the GM of the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs and whoever the hell else ESPN did that little shindig on.