Ozzie guarantees we will have new #2 hitter.

Steve9347

from the Sun Times

Ozzie: Sox lineup hardly cut and dried

December 2, 2005

BY CHRIS DE LUCA Staff Reporter

Just when it looked as if the White Sox were an up-and-shut case for 2006, manager Ozzie Guillen on Thursday did what he does best -- shake things up.

Conducting a conference call with reporters while seated in a barber's chair in Miami, Guillen took time from his haircut to guarantee the Sox will have a new No. 2 hitter next season, create a potential center-field controversy and imply Orlando Hernandez's spot in the rotation belongs to rookie right-hander Brandon McCarthy.

Guillen also tried to sidestep the Sox' most delicate matter: an impending divorce with slugger Frank Thomas. If the Sox don't offer Thomas arbitration by Wednesday's deadline, they won't be allowed to negotiate with the free agent until May 1 -- likely signaling the official parting of ways.

Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, general manager Ken Williams and Guillen will discuss the issue next week during baseball's winter meetings in Dallas. The Sox are not expected to offer arbitration to Thomas, whose $10 million option for 2006 was bought out last month for $3.5 million.

''Right now, I don't have any idea about Frank,'' Guillen said. ''It's going to be tough for us. Frank Thomas is the best player to ever wear that [sox] uniform.

''It's not an easy issue for anyone. It's not an easy thing to do and to deal with, but we have to do the best thing for the team and not the best for me or Frank.''

With left-handed slugger Jim Thome the new designated hitter and Paul Konerko back to play first base, Guillen is turning his attention to the one area that concerns him most: improving production from the No. 2 spot in the batting order. If the Sox don't make a trade before spring training -- and the pitching-poor Marlins are shopping second baseman Luis Castillo and center fielder Juan Pierre -- Guillen will move shortstop Juan Uribe into the second spot behind leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik and drop second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to sixth or seventh.

''When we hit [uribe] second in the past, he did a tremendous job,'' Guillen said. ''I just want to give Iguchi a real shot to be [the run producer] he is. That is my thought right now. It all depends on how Uribe handles it in spring training, but I really want Uribe to hit in that spot.''

Uribe got most of his at-bats (268) in the ninth spot and hit .250 there. He got 23 at-bats in the No. 2 spot and hit .174 with four hits and five strikeouts.

''Having him batting second, he won't swing the bat the way he does -- all wild,'' Guillen said. ''He is going to take more pitches and try to move the guy over.''

As for center field, rookie Brian Anderson seemed to be the in-house favorite to replace Aaron Rowand. But Guillen said he has been watching speedster Jerry Owens play for third-base coach Joey Cora's team in Venezuela and has come away impressed.

''The way he played, the way he handled himself, the way he caught the ball, it really opened my eyes,'' Guillen said of Owens. ''This kid can do a lot.

"Right now, the first shot is going to be Anderson. One thing I worry about is [Anderson's] defense. I don't worry much about his hitting.''

Playing for Class AA Birmingham last season, Owens, 24, led the Southern League with a .331 average. He set the Barons' modern-era record (1964-present) with 173 hits and stole a team-high 38 bases.

As for a rotation anchored by Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia, Guillen seems to have penciled in McCarthy for the fifth spot, leaving Hernandez either in the bullpen or on the trade market.

''I don't think [McCarthy] will help us in the bullpen,'' Guillen said. ''We have to sit around and talk about it and see what happens. He did a tremendous job last year, and he should be a starter.''

Oh, that wild Ozzie Guillen.

Edited by Steve9347

This is just a thought, not one that could actually happen though.

What about Pablo Ozuna as a two hitter? I mean, he can play multiple spots as well. I think he can be an everyday player and can do the things Ozzie wants him to do. He came up big last year towards the stretch run.

Possible right?

This is just a thought, not one that could actually happen though.

What about Pablo Ozuna as a two hitter?  I mean, he can play multiple spots as well.  I think he can be an everyday player and can do the things Ozzie wants him to do.  He came up big last year towards the stretch run. 

Possible right?

"Where would he play?"

Besides, Ozuna is a bench player. He's not starter material.

Edited by SSH2005

I've learned to tune Ozzie out on some things.

If Anderson and Podsednik are the two OFers getting LF and CF, Anderson will be the one in CF. Listen to Kenny Williams' conference call for the Konerko signing. Towards the end, someone asks a question about Anderson, and Williams basically states that Anderson is a natural centerfielder, and has played that position throughout his career, and that Scotty is best left where he is. I believe Kenny went as far as compare Anderson to Rowand (defensively), saying something like, "People were saying how Aaron wasn't a real CFer, how he was better suited for the corners, and you know how that ended out".

Yea, it seems to me that Ozzie was giving his typical "off the wall, look I'm ozzie guillen the media loves me I'm getting a haircut this is news" interview, and in reailty, nothing he said will having much bearing on next year.

Ozzie may like Owens and his winter league play now, but get him in spring training when Owens just misplayed a gapper and cost the team a run and you'll get the exact 180 degree spin.

Ozzie's mouth is unreliable. Who knows what goes on in that head. He's a great manager though, if inprecise mouth.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
If Ozzie is worried about Anderson's defense, then Anderson should feel safe about his job for next year.

This is one thing I'm confident about just from our numbers last year - aside from ARow, Brian Anderson is by far the best defensive outfielder in our organization.

Brian Anderson is also the most prepared outfielder with the bat, having spent a year at AAA ball, when no other real outfield prospect has.

Brian Anderson deserves shot #1 in the outfield next year. All he has to do is match Rowand in run production in his rookie year and he's in good shape. That means Crede numbers basically - like 20 home runs and a .230-.250 average, which he should be able to do easily if he learns anything at all.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Yea, it seems to me that Ozzie was giving his typical "off the wall, look I'm ozzie guillen the media loves me I'm getting a haircut this is news" interview, and in reailty, nothing he said will having much bearing on next year.

Ozzie may like Owens and his winter league play now, but get him in spring training when Owens just misplayed a gapper and cost the team a run and you'll get the exact 180 degree spin.

Ozzie's mouth is unreliable.  Who knows what goes on in that head.  He's a great manager though, if inprecise mouth.

didn't he say that Michael Jackson would be able to play catcher or something during the playoffs? I think it was something about what Michael Jackson's best position on a baseball diamond was. he said catcher or first base. I don't think i am imagining it either.