Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
But then again, Abreu in left.

Garland for Abreu ?

Highly unlikely, I'd think....

Why is everyone so quick to say the White Sox aren't going to keep Garland/Contreras ? ? ? KW has said over and over that pitching is what this team is built upon, and they have already made 2 moves to upgrade the offense.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)
Garland for Abreu ?

Highly unlikely, I'd think....

Why is everyone so quick to say the White Sox aren't going to keep Garland/Contreras ? ? ? KW has said over and over that pitching is what this team is built upon, and they have already made 2 moves to upgrade the offense.

For me, it was the quotes by KW where he told those guys they better get serious about signing an extension.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
For me, it was the quotes by KW where he told those guys they better get serious about signing an extension.

I guess that would be the reason he's traded, not to mention that his value may have peaked, but I just really think we have a great commodity in starting pitching, and we should stick with it.

Just my opinion.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
What?  Patterson's fast, can play center field, and bats lefty.  Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

AND IF ANYONE'S TAKING ME SERIOUS, SHAME ON THEM!

He also strikes out a bajillion times.

AND IF ANYONE'S TAKING ME SERIOUS, THEY SHOULD, 'CUZ IT'S TRUE!

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Good effing lord...

Mark Buehrle

Freddy Garcia

Jose Contreras

Javier Vazquez

Jon Garland

Brandon McCarthy

i would rather get a proven major league outfielder than have a 6 man rotation.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Your 2006 Chicago White Sox:

Buerhle

Contreras

Garcia

Vazquez

McCarthy

Pods CF

Crawford LF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Me likey!!!

Seriously, cross the name Carl Crawford off your Christmas list already.

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
Why?

What the phillies wanted during all their trade talks was a #1 starter....

Do you think Garland is a #1 starter ? I'd say he could be a #2, but more likely a #3.

I do undertand what you're saying though - on Philadelphia, he probably would be at the top of the roation.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I know you're just throwing that out there but then again Scotty in center.

Ya, I hate the idea of Scotty in center, but we'd still have Anderson to get plenty of AB's and keep guys fresh. Can Abreu play CF at all. I know he's supposed to be a pretty good defensive outifelder. Maybe it would be stupid to even think about playing him in CF (would it have more of a toll on his knees or anything like that, cause I'd hate for him to get hurt).

Also, am I crazy to think the Phils would make that deal. I don't know if straight up would work, but the speculation has always been that Philly wants to get a good starter for Abreu. In Garland they are getting a heck of a young starter (I assume they still want to move Abreu, despite getting Thome off the books). Plus they have a log jam in the outfield.

The weird thing is, it seems like we'll have made a ton of moves but when you think about it. If we moved Duque and than Garland.

We'd have a new starter in Vazquez (I say Garland is better), Bmac sliding into the rotation (I think he can be better than Duque; overall pitching staff stays the same); A new DH (Thome >> Carl/Thomas), a new OF (Abreu>>>Rowand) a new backup 3rd baseman (Mackoviak >>> Blum).

Essentially we have improved in all areas except the pen. Offensively we'd be better, defensively a little worse (in center) and the starting staff would stay even (with a shot at being better or worse, but not by much either way, unless you had some serious injuries).

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
As in Duke/Young/ML Reliever for Vazquez + Cash.

My ass it's under those conditions. If we're giving up Duque, Young, AND a major league reliever for Vazquez that cash figure better represent a sizable portion of the contract. Or a stud prospect of theirs better be included. f*** this overpaying s***. I'm tired of it.

If we're trading Garland, and Blalock (for example) is what we receive, one of their stud pitching prospects are going to be included. I don't care if he's a FA next season. Texas can remain in the perpetual pitching rut unless they accept those conditions.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
Do you think Garland is a #1 starter ? I'd say he could be a #2, but more likely a #3.

I do undertand what you're saying though - on Philadelphia, he probably would be at the top of the roation.

yeah, I don't think JG is a 1, but he has that nasty sinker, and in that ball park his value may be more than other pitchers rated higher who are flyball pitchers...

but with that said, if Phil wanted Zam or Prior from the Cubs for Abreu, it would take more than just JG