Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are giving up El Duque, Chris Young, and a second pitcher (probably a reliever). A lot will depend on who this second pitcher is and if we are receiving any cash from the Diamondbacks to tell if this is a good deal or not. El Duque is just a salary dump. I hate to lose Chris Young though. :crying

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
So how many times over the next couple of days will we hear the names Carl Crawford, Hank Blalock, and might I add, Adam Dunn?

s***, if they could get Adam Dunn, that would be crazy, but then Pods would have to patrol CF and Dunn LF, that may be a bumpy defense

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
We are giving up El Duque, Chris Young, and a second pitcher (probably a reliever).  A lot will depend on who this second pitcher is and if we are receiving any cash from the Diamondbacks to tell if this is a good deal or not.  El Duque is just a salary dump.  I hate to lose Chris Young though.  :crying

Another pitcher? WTF?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
What's the estimated time on a Phil Rogers article showing up on chicagosports.com stating that a deal is close?  He always seems to have an article discussing the possibility of the particular deal on the day it happens.

Actually, I noticed the Score likes to do that....As soon as it makes the paper, it's 'sources tell the Score'

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
Would love it, meh, please no.

Please no to Dunn? I think you'd warm up to him when he walks over 100 times, hits over 40 homers, and does so for the next 10 years. I'd rather have Dunn than Crawford on my team, but I wouldn't complain about either.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Rotoworld's already bashing the trade from the Sox point of view.  If this trade is legit, I'm thrilled to get rid of Duque, who easily had the worst contract on the team.

I'm serious when I speculate Rotoworld has NEVER complimented any trade of Williams' within the last two years. Just as they seemingly praise Beane's acqusitions and trades every opportunity given.

I just don't like the position this trade puts us in. It's obvious Garland is going to be delt, and since he's likely seeking a large contract in 2007, he'll net the White Sox less in return. For once this offseason, I'd like some other team to overpay for our player.

If Williams can't field a legitimate offer for Garland, leave McCarthy in the bullpen. Because I'm not giving up Garland unless a top-tier reliever, immediate impact outfielder/infielder, or prospect is included.

Idonno this kind of pisses me off a little.... I know prospects are just prospects.... but Gio and Young were my favorite ones... and every so often it would kind of be nice to try and develop some prospects too. Hell if it wasnt for that A-Rod thing falling apart with Boston we wouldnt of had B-Mac either.

I trust KW and not going to bash him.... but I was really looking forward to seeing Chris Young in a White Sox jersey for a long time to come... moreso than any of our other prospects.

We are not trying to break up anything. We are looking to add to the equation, fortify it, and not anything else."

This was a quote by Kenny. Reading into that, wouldn't you think that it would indicate that Vazquez will be the 5th starter. It makes you think he wants to add to this club and get us another chip for the now.

We can always turn around and trade a starter later on (and if they are healthy) we'll get equal value in return, imo.

I will really miss Chris Young. We all know I've been touting that guy for a long time. If we do move him, it tells you that the Sox really like Vazquez and more importantly they really like Brian Anderson (and to a lesser extent Sween and Owens).

I will say this, our MLB club is to me stronger on paper this year than last (doesn't mean s*** though cause injuries and a lack of meeting your potential or being hot at the right time always come into account) but our farm system is weaker (however we got good value for our guys, imo).

They will have to go enrich it with talent these next couple years (hell, hopefully if we make the playoffs again we can increase our budget in the draft and start getting some of those value guys that drop due to signability issues and end up going in the mid rounds).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
Please no to Dunn?  I think you'd warm up to him when he walks over 100 times, hits over 40 homers, and does so for the next 10 years.  I'd rather have Dunn than Crawford on my team, but I wouldn't complain about either.

I'm not a huge fan of Adam Dunn as people know, but most importantly I don't want Scotty in center.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
I'm serious when I speculate Rotoworld has NEVER complimented any trade of Williams' within the last two years. Just as they seemingly praise Beane's acqusitions and trades every opportunity given.

I just don't like the position this trade puts us in. It's obvious Garland is going to be delt, and since he's likely seeking a large contract in 2007, he'll net the White Sox less in return. For once this offseason, I'd like some other team to overpay for our player.

If Williams can't field a legitimate offer for Garland, leave McCarthy in the bullpen. Because I'm not giving up Garland unless a top-tier reliever, immediate impact outfielder/infielder, or prospect is included.

I agree with all of this.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Please no to Dunn?  I think you'd warm up to him when he walks over 100 times, hits over 40 homers, and does so for the next 10 years.  I'd rather have Dunn than Crawford on my team, but I wouldn't complain about either.

That would mean Pods plays center though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
I'm not a huge fan of Adam Dunn as people know, but most importantly I don't want Scotty in center.

I'm not sure we can get Adam Dunn without giving up more young players. Sure, I'm sure they'd like Garland, but he's a free agent after the season, and I'm not sure Cincinnati would pay him $10 million plus to sign him long-term.

Plus, doesn't Dunn strike out a lot ? Not saying he's a bad player, but I'd rather keep the pitching. If we trade for a hitter, hopefully it would be somebody with less strikeouts, higher AVG.

I have a feeling that last year's success and increase in attendance has made JR and KW think more about maintaining the success in the immediate future, and not really worry about the distant future. If that means payrolls around 90 million, then I'm not too worried. Come on, since when are we concerned about trading prospects? We're not exactly the greatest developers of talent.