I think something big is going down...

Steve9347

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
Bruuuuuuce Levine (take it for what its worth) just said B-Mac, Juan Uribe, and prospects for Miguel Tejada...

that'd be nuts.

Uggggggh, if we trade Uribe for Tejada, and add a pitcher in the deal, we are getting hosed. Uribe is so much more valuable to this team, and we cannot trade away our pitching like that. We are already depleating our farm system this offseason, please lets not turn back into the 2004 whitesox!!!!!!

Cool It.....Theres nothin else going on with our Pitching Staff.....Garland's not going anywhere this year....Brian Anderson is going to be our CF....and hes gonna do a damn good job ou there......The trade for Thome was done to bring in power from the left side and to free up a position for Anderson. It would be pointless to trade away a very good CF just to lose more players to pick up another one when we already have one.....Tejada is not leaving Baltimore either..

JiYea!!!!

QUOTE(SoxRock05 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Cool It.....Theres nothin else going on with our Pitching Staff.....Garland's not going anywhere this year....

I don't know how you can say that, unless you are going to have a six man rotation. MB, FG, JG, Contreras, BMac, and Vasquez? At the very least someone goes to the pen...and even that is news.

Why isn't anyone thinking of Vazquez? He could be the one flipped. If there is another trade, that is. Possibly him to the O's? Or somewhere else. Just because Garland is going to get more money next year doesn't mean they don't want him on the team this year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
We're becoming the Yankees...

Look at our pitching staff and say that again with a straight face. We've always know Kenny was aggresive, now after winning the WS he has a few more dollars to play with. None of this should come as any surprise.

I doubt we trade BMac because he is good and inexpensive. I doubt we trade for a CF either. Why add payroll when we have minor league talent that can do the job.

Adding Vazquez gets us locked in 3 more years with a good pitcher. KW will offer contracts to Garland and Contreras and whoever signs first won't be dealt. If neither sign both could possibly be dealt as long as we get pitching in return. Think about it. Your first 4 pitchers being Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez and McCarthy is still really good.

I like KW's proactiveness. He's thinking ahead and that will save money in the long run. If you wait til the next year to sign your players you will overspend. I don't like how he get's cocky "the time to get serious is now". It's not classy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Uggggggh, if we trade Uribe for Tejada, and add a pitcher in the deal, we are getting hosed.  Uribe is so much more valuable to this team, and we cannot trade away our pitching like that.  We are already depleating our farm system this offseason, please lets not turn back into the 2004 whitesox!!!!!!

Um, what prospect that we have traded has turned into a stud? I seriously think you overvalue Uribe and overvalue having everyone back from last year. Kenny knows what he's doing. I'm sure Ozzie and him are talking about potential moves as well. I don't see KW doing something Ozzie is really opposed to and vice versa.

Gload is gone anmd maybe Ozuna if we do any other trades. I see us going with a six man rotation next year with B Mac being added. I wonder who will be the bullpen long man though. If there are any more moves I think it will be there unless B Mac goes to the pen. I don't see the OF'er trade becasue we still need to be cognizant of money and Anderson and others may step in as has been previosuly mentioned.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
I doubt we trade BMac because he is good and inexpensive. I doubt we trade for a CF either. Why add payroll when we have minor league talent that can do the job.

Adding Vazquez gets us locked in 3 more years with a good pitcher. KW will offer contracts to Garland and Contreras and whoever signs first won't be dealt. If neither sign both could possibly be dealt as long as we get pitching in return. Think about it. Your first 4 pitchers being Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez and McCarthy is still really good.

I like KW's proactiveness. He's thinking ahead and that will save money in the long run. If you wait til the next year to sign your players you will overspend. I don't like how he get's cocky "the time to get serious is now". It's not classy.

Nah, I don't see us getting Beltran. He pretty much had his worse year last year. I wouldn't trade BMac for him straight up.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Look at our pitching staff and say that again with a straight face.  We've always know Kenny was aggresive, now after winning the WS he has a few more dollars to play with.  None of this should come as any surprise.

I'm talking the Yankees of the 90s.

I pretty much have to throw my hat in with the "Garland is next" crowd.

Contreras was easily our best pitcher the 2nd half, and the 2nd half Contreras was better than the 1st half Garland. My gut feeling is Contreras is on the verge of having a string of very good seasons, while Garland may never exceed what he did this year.

If Garland won't sign, and Contreras will, then it's a no-brainer, although I would think about keeping Garland around until the middle of next season when he could be a very valuable trading chip when it will be clear just what our needs are.

It's hard to know whether Crede could go down, will Uribe stuggle so-much at the plate that it can't be tolerated, what if Podsednik has an off-year?

Those kind of questions only get answered during the season, and you'll also be able to see which trade prospects are performing good in the season making a trade less of a gamble.

While a package of Garland,Uribe and some high quality prospects could put us in the Tejeda-derby, my feeling here is that Uribe's defense is so good that it isn't a glaring hole, keep the powder dry and deal him in June or July.

Ah well, just love what Kenny is doing, every move is a risk, but standing still may be riskier still, the core is intact and we have made some big upgrades along the way.

God is this a good time to be a Sox fan, 34 years of heartache is paying off like I could never even imagine.

I don't think that there's any way that KW is done yet. There will be another big move. Kenny is basically saying to Jon- Are you in for the long haul or are you out? And if Jon says "out," KW will move him.

I trust Kenny and Ozzie to get players who will keep with the philosophy that brought the Sox the championship last year. (And damn, it feels good to say that.)

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
Gload is gone anmd maybe Ozuna if we do any other trades. I see us going with a six man rotation next year with B Mac being added. I wonder who will be the bullpen long man though. If there are any more moves I think it will be there unless B Mac goes to the pen. I don't see the OF'er trade becasue we still need to be cognizant of money and Anderson and others may step in as has been previosuly mentioned.

Ozuna was singed to a new contract not too long ago, he can play 3B, SS, 1B, corner OF, has speed to pinch run... he's not going anywhere. Whether we go 4 or 5 players on the bench, he's in, along with Widger and Mack.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(jenksd @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
ESPN has still barely given this anything other than a mention since they first had it reported at like 2 am. I've seen the chart with Nomar Garciaparra as the Yankees' first baseman about 6000 times though.

LOL, thats cause Peter Gammons had no idea about it, and has to film a small documentary where he traces the steps of the trade, as if he knew all along.

Some starting pitcher is going somewhere for some kind of big bat, and/or possibly a sold relief pitcher to replace Vizcaino and Marte. Contreras seems unlikely because he's old, a FA at the end of the year, and he was our best pitcher in the second half. B-Mac is unlikely because he is young and cheap, something we are definitely going to need as Freddy and Mark cash in on the next round of contracts. Vazquez doesn't seem too likely because we just got him, he's the most expensive of the group (depending on $ that the D-Backs eat), and there weren't a whole lot of teams actively trying to acquire him. That leaves Garland as the most likely candidate. He's still going to be fairly affordable after arbitration, he's got 1 year left and the Sox are apparently having trouble resigning him, he's still very young, and there's still a large group out there that thinks this year might have been a fluke. There's got to be another deal in the works to get someone of note, otherwise this deal makes no sense whatsoever.