AJ Pierzynski Signs 3-yr Contract Extension

CSF

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soxfest...Just look at what the Orioles gave Hernandez. He got more money per yr and no one is going to tell me he's better than AJ. I think they are on a similar level. I think you'll also see Bengie Molina eventually sign (if he goes multi year) for a few mill more than AJ.

I will say this, over the course of a full season (if healthy) I think Bengie is the better of the 3 catchers (he's a good hitter, is slow as molasses, but is good defensively). AJ is a solid hitter and calls a hell of a game, plus he fits in well with the club (he also has all the intangibles of a winner).

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Paid a little more than I thought I saw 3yr 12 mil package .......I like AJ and glad he is back but may have overpaid a little.

Overpaid? He is going to make $5.5 million in 2008. That is a great deal for a starting catcher who handles the staff as well as he does. Also, his fielding numbers were pretty good too:

.999 fielding percentage

119-game errorless streak

This is just one more piece of the foundation that KW is building here. The Sox have a ton of players locked up for at least 2-3 years now, which is nice to see.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Think this might mean Contreras will be signing an extension soon?

I sure hope so, I'd like to see a 2 year deal for Jose with an option for a 3rd year.

Something like this:

2006 - We already have him signed

2007 - 8 million

2008 - 8 million

2009 - 10 million team option with 3.5 million buyout

So basically, 2 years, 16 million with a team option for 2009 at 10 million.

Everything is falling into place:

-Non-tender Timo & Willie.

-Sign Mack, sign Joe (hope they don't break the bank with him, considering he's got Boras as his agent).

-Sign Jose for 3 years.

-Wait for the calls to come in for Garland.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5181196

The deal, which enables Pierzynski and the club to avoid salary arbitration, could increase in value to $15.5 million if Pierzynski starts a predetermined number of games the next two seasons, triggering a clause that would increase his 2008 salary by $500,000.

Pierzynski, who was eligible for free agency at the end of the season, will receive $4 million in 2006 and $5.5 million each in 2007 and '08.

I thought AJ was the best FA signing of last year's offseason. There's no way the Sox would have won without him leading that pitching staff. And his role in building team unity was as important as his on-the-field contributions.

Welcome back, AJ. Glad you are on our side!