Can Tejada be a reality?

rangercal

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
If its about Tejada's attitude, I think you should let that slide. There are a few people in the Baltimore organization that thought Tejada quit on the team last year.

No it wasnt, it was about his contacts.

But still Tejada is WELL known to be one of the best clubhouse guys in the league, a true leader.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
If its about Tejada's attitude, I think you should let that slide. There are a few people in the Baltimore organization that thought Tejada quit on the team last year.

I think he is calling a BS on how true AndytheClown is. Im not saying he is lying or telling the truth, but i think that was what Rock was putting the BS towards.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Talking in terms of low salary positions, you can basically equate the following:

Contreras + Uribe = Tejada + B-Mac in terms of salaries, since trading Contreras would move B-Mac into the starting rotation.

Having Uribe's and B-Macs salaries coupled with some of the other low salaries does give some flexibility in re-signing other players, but Tejada will only make $10 million in 2006 and $12 million in 2007 (equal to Paulie).  Those are pretty good numbers for a perennial All-Star. 

This is not like the O's are trying to unload Tejada's salary, so they are going to want a lot in return.  I doubt any team will offer enough to get him.

Getting Tejada would mean less money available to re-sign MB.

GEtting another position player making over $10 mill isn't happening, until Thome is gone that is.

Now I know an offer of Contreras, Uribe, and possibly a prospect sounds like it won't be enough, but I'm thinking it just might be enough. Here is why: Jose Contreras had a monster second half and continued to dominate in the playoffs. That is what the Orioles remember the most. Juan Uribe had one of the most amazing defensive performances ever in Game Four of the WS. This is what the Orioles remember.

On the other side of that, Manny was a whinning b**** last year in Boston, and Clement had a very rough second half of the season. (Only because he took a line drive off his face, but people don't seem to think that's why he didn't pitch well) Manny and Matt also have extremely high salaries. Although it is very far fetched, it is a slight possibility.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
No it wasnt, it was about his contacts.

But still Tejada is WELL known to be one of the best clubhouse guys in the league, a true leader.

I know, but his decline the second half was curious, as was his complaining through the press. Maybe he wants out of Baltimore so bad he's decided just to make it impossible to keep him. As I said in another thread, Tejada, I believe, can demand a trade next offseason if he is traded.

Heres a quote about Tejada

Tejada plays baseball with passion and drive. He demonstrates his reverence for the game with hard play and vocal leadership. Teammate Brian Roberts told Peter Gammons that Tejada is the best player in the game because, 'He has an uncanny ability to knock in runs... his energy. He is always up, pushing everyone and making the entire team better." Orioles' hitting instructor Terry Crowley said, "This franchise changed the day he arrived."

Bear in mind I dont want him here. But making up s*** like him being a cancer in the clubhouse is stupid. Let the cubs fans do that.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)

Tejada plays baseball with passion and drive. He demonstrates his reverence for the game with hard play and vocal leadership. Teammate Brian Roberts told Peter Gammons that Tejada is the best player in the game because, 'He has an uncanny ability to knock in runs... his energy. He is always up, pushing everyone and making the entire team better." Orioles' hitting instructor Terry Crowley said, "This franchise changed the day he arrived."

Bear in mind I dont want him here.  But making up s*** like him being a cancer in the clubhouse is stupid.  Let the cubs fans do that.

So he is a good guy in the clubhouse is what that is saying.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Now I know an offer of Contreras, Uribe, and possibly a prospect sounds like it won't be enough, but I'm thinking it just might be enough. Here is why: Jose Contreras had a monster second half and continued to dominate in the playoffs. That is what the Orioles remember the most. Juan Uribe had one of the most amazing defensive performances ever in Game Four of the WS. This is what the Orioles remember.

On the other side of that, Manny was a whinning b**** last year in Boston, and Clement had a very rough second half of the season. (Only because he took a line drive off his face, but people don't seem to think that's why he didn't pitch well) Manny and Matt also have extremely high salaries. Although it is very far fetched, it is a slight possibility.

The Orioles want a superstar in return for Tejada. Contreras/Uribe doesn't equal superstar. I bet there are some teams that will make a run for Tejada that we haven't even speculated about.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)

Bear in mind I dont want him here.  But making up s*** like him being a cancer in the clubhouse is stupid.  Let the cubs fans do that.

He didn't say he was a cancer. He said that's what his Cub fan friends thought he was.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)

Hers another quote about Tejada from Foxsports.com

News: Miguel Tejada said Thursday he's unhappy with the Orioles' direction and wants to be traded. "I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," he said in a phone interview.

Impact: Tejada basically quit on the Orioles late in the season, and now he wants out just two years into a six-year deal. Saying he doesn't like the direction is ridiculous. The Orioles are willing to spend money -- they had the high offer to Paul Konerko on the table -- it's just that no one is as eager to take it as Tejada was when he made his way to the high bidder. Plus, they now have the game's best pitching coach. Anyone who would turn on his team like Tejada has looks like a bad risk to us, even if his $72 million contract seems pretty reasonable right now. Of course, he'll probably be linked to the Red Sox right away.

It isnt made up Rock, its widely speculated.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Hers another quote about Tejada from Foxsports.com

It isnt made up Rock, its widely speculated.

You are talking about one half season of speculation, preceded by a career of praise and leadership.

Plus I dont take your posts seriously :P

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
Plus I dont take your posts seriously :P

well aint that some s*** :P

If the guy quit on his team last year, I want no part of him. His last two months were pretty bad for his standards. And I am still curious about his Palmeiro connection. Cancer is a bad word though, I dont think thats right

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA.  Whew, that was a good laugh.  That really shows you how much cubs fans know.  Tejada is WELL known in the league to be one of the best clubhouse guys, a real team leader and a motivator.  He has an extreme desire to win, and comes to play every day.  I believe he hasnt missed a game in like 4 years.  The guy is a gamer, your source sucks.

Sweet, post up a link or something confirming that so I can throw it back at the Cub fan I know. Because going public with trade demands when you make $12 million/year is prima facie evidence of being a b****, unfortunately.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
well aint that some s***  :P

If the guy quit on his team last year, I want no part of him.  His last two months were pretty bad for his standards.  And I am still curious about his Palmeiro connection.  Cancer is a bad word though, I dont think thats right

If he quit, so be it. But the guy is a serious leader, and it is well known that his energy brings improvement to teams. his own teammates say this, not some asshole sports writer who just wants to make waves. Remember, the opinion of one person, is not always true example: AJ

Although I know what you are thinking right now: I wonder what VaFan thinks about this.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
If he quit, so be it.  But the guy is a serious leader, and it is well known that his energy brings improvement to teams.  his own teammates say this, not some asshole sports writer who just wants to make waves.  Remember, the opinion of one person, is not always true  example: AJ

Although I know what you are thinking right now:  I wonder what VaFan thinks about this.

FULL PAGE POST?

Sweet, post up a link or something confirming that so I can throw it back at the Cub fan I know.  Because going public with trade demands when you make $12 million/year is prima facie evidence of being a b****, unfortunately.

Good point.

Isn't demanding a trade two years after agreeing to a long, multi-year contract sort of being a clubhouse cancer? He accepted a contract from the Orioles and is now demanding a trade because he doesn't want to play for them anymore. Keep in mind, Tejada really has no right to demand a trade. He wants a trade because he is disappointed with the Orioles' front office moves and he is sick of playing for a losing team. He is basically telling his teammates that he doesn't think they are good enough to win anything.

Bruce Levine is an annoying dick. He has no sense of humor and really feels that the cubs are the best organization in baseball. Jim Hendry can do no wrong, the excuses he gives are incredible. He covers the White Sox because he has to but his passion is for the cubs. It must have been painful to have to cover the Sox this past season and killing him to have to cover them still on a greater scale than the cubs. His love for the cubbies is sickening. Even cub fans are down on them now but not Bruce. The token White Sox conversation makes me sick. The fact he is allowed to host a show on the radio is a travesty to ones ability to hear.

What if the cub traded Pie, Patterson and Ohman for Vazquez, then flipped Prior for Tejada. Wouldn't this make sense?????

I like Tejada but I like the fact that we could lose a starter for the entire season next year and still be in great shape. I would rather have six starters that all have ACE potential then having to rely on Tim Redding.

Sorry if my bruce bashing was too much but he never speaks of the Sox in a positive way as he does with the cub. Indifference is his Sox coverage. He sucks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
I call BS

You can believe what you will! I am not claiming it WILL happen or it is even close, rather I am saying there have been discussions between the organizations.

Also, do not forget about the additional revenue from the Nationals sale. Many of you forget to factor that in.

Bruce Levine is an annoying dick.  He has no sense of humor and really feels that the cubs are the best organization in baseball.  Jim Hendry can do no wrong, the excuses he gives are incredible.  He covers the White Sox because he has to but his passion is for the cubs.  It must have been painful to have to cover the Sox this past season and killing him to have to cover them still on a greater scale than the cubs.  His love for the cubbies is sickening.  Even cub fans are down on them now but not Bruce.  The token White Sox conversation makes me sick.  The fact he is allowed to host a show on the radio is a travesty to ones ability to hear.

What if the cub traded Pie, Patterson and Ohman for Vazquez, then flipped Prior for Tejada.  Wouldn't this make sense?????

I like Tejada but I like the fact that we could lose a starter for the entire season next year and still be in great shape.  I would rather have six starters that all have ACE potential then having to rely on Tim Redding.

Sorry if my bruce bashing was too much but he never speaks of the Sox in a positive way as he does with the cub.  Indifference is his Sox coverage.  He sucks.

I have to agree with you on Brucie's Cubs love. He actually had the nerve to say, "And Jim Hendry is reminding everyone in Chicago that there's two good GM's in town as he locks up Jacque Jones to a three year, $15 million dollar deal." As if that was a good signing or something. :headshake I just had to laugh. :D

Edited by SSH2005