Baez to the Mets?

DBAHO

Omar Minaya trying to keep up with KW here; :bang

The Mets are close to acquiring Danys Baez from the Rays for a package headed by Jae Seo or Aaron Heilman, according to the New York Post.

Heilman alone is too much to give up for Baez, but if the Mets could get him in exchange for Jae Seo and fellow right-hander Brian Bannister, that wouldn't be bad. Lastings Milledge won't be a part of this. If the Rays trade Baez, Chad Orvella would take over as the favorite for saves, though Shinji Mori could also be a factor. Dec. 30 - 3:09 am et

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
If the mets give away Heilman i think that tampa will get the better end of the deal in this trade. Looking from a long term standpoint.

I'll go out and say that Heilman will be the better reliever between the two this year, if TB keeps him in the pen that is.

I'll go out and say that Heilman will be the better reliever between the two this year, if TB keeps him in the pen that is.

I don't get why the Mets want to trade Heilman so bad. He's better than the bums they are rumored to be dealing him for, Baez being one of them.

Cause he's a bigger name then Heilman and Seo.

Yep, I guess the Mets are stupid like that.

Edited by SSH2005

Baez reluctant to accept a setup role

Danys Baez does not want to be a setup man. But that is what the Rays closer will become with the Mets if a trade is completed.

"I don't know if I want to be a setup guy," Baez said Friday from his home in Miami. "I want to be a closer. But if they trade me I don't have a choice. If they want me to be a setup guy, that's what I'll do."

It is believed Tampa Bay wants right-hander Aaron Heilman in return or a package that also could include right-handed starter Jae Seo.

Baez last season had a Rays-record 41 saves. But the Mets have $43-million tied up in Billy Wagner, who last season had 38 saves for the Phillies.

"What I want is to be a free agent (after 2006) and then I can control what happens," Baez said. "This way, I don't have any choice. But whatever happens, I'll be ready."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/31/Sports/B...nt_to_acc.shtml

Haha, Aaron Heilman told the Mets to trade him if he wasn't starting in 2006.

Heilman: Start me or trade me

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/m...ports-headlines

I can see why the Mets are willing to deal him then. The Devil Rays would be happy to use Heilman as a starter and the Mets would get a decent setup man.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Is rotoworld not working for anyone else?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

Type in the www, for some reason you have to type that in for rotoworld now.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
Haha, Aaron Heilman told the Mets to trade him if he wasn't starting in 2006.

Heilman: Start me or trade me

I can see why the Mets are willing to deal him then.  The Devil Rays would be happy to use Heilman as a starter and the Mets would get a decent setup man.

Baseball teams have no back bone... it is so f***ing amusing. Heilman is in a position that he should have no say for many years down the road ( actually he should never really have a say while under the mets). Players demands are one of my most hated things in sports.

Either way, neither heilman or baez are very impressive to watch pitch. Given the choice i would rather have heilman given the fact he is cheaper and has starting capabilities. Baez is underated and was slightly before last season too. Mostly everyone makes him out to be a joke but in the past couple years he has learned how to shut out games even though his whip is rather high for so many saves.

I put baez in the same category as garret anderson. Everyone said how he was one of the most underated players in the game for years... well guess what? That makes you overated as all hell and that definitely applies to anderson.

ESPN is reporting that this may turn into a gigantic, 4 team mess involving the Devil Rays, Mets, Orioles, and Red Sox, with Manny and Baez going to the Mets, Julio Lugo and Clement (and I think Benson?) going to Baltimore, Tejada going to Boston, and a few other guys including Andy Marte going to Tampa.

I think it just looked like way too big of a mess to ever happen, especially with the dollars the Orioles' would be taking on.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
ESPN is reporting that this may turn into a gigantic, 4 team mess involving the Devil Rays, Mets, Orioles, and Red Sox, with Manny and Baez going to the Mets, Julio Lugo and Clement (and I think Benson?) going to Baltimore, Tejada going to Boston, and a few other guys including Andy Marte going to Tampa.

I think it just looked like way too big of a mess to ever happen, especially with the dollars the Orioles' would be taking on.

If the Orioles were looking to have Boston/New York pay a portion of Clement/Benson's salary, they'd have to trade an additional prospect to either team, as well as Tampa. It would likely have to be a top prospect. So in the proposed trade, Orioles may have to surrender two top prospects, Tejada, and add more than 15 million to the payroll for two average starters and Julio Lugo?! That'll never work.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
If the Orioles were looking to have Boston pay a portion of Ramirez's salary, they'd have to trade an additional prospect to Boston, as well as Tampa. It would likely have to be a top prospect. So in the proposed trade, Orioles may have to surrender two top prospects, Tejada, and add more than 15 million to the payroll for two average starters and Julio Lugo?! That'll never work.

There would almost certainly have been some cash swapping hands, and I'm sure I missed 1 or 2 guys who would have been involved in the deal (Saw it on ESPNews several hours ago), but I also thought the deal sounded bad especially for Baltimore.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)

Baltimore has never had any problem taking on contracts so I don't look at that as a major road block. However, when this many teams get involved the odds of everyone being happy are slim.

One top official from each the Mets, Red Sox, Orioles and Devil Rays denied that there was anything to the rumored four-way trade between the teams.

The New York Post says the Mets and Red Sox still haven't spoken since the winter meetings. The Mets are talking with the Devil Rays, but they may not be involved in any Miguel Tejada-Manny Ramirez deal.

Source:  New York Post

The Mets are trying to expand a Danys Baez deal to include Julio Lugo, with Kaz Matsui and cash going the other way.

It's believed that the Rays have some interest in Matsui as a replacement for Lugo, but that doesn't mean he has any real trade value. The Rays would surely want both Aaron Heilman and Jae Seo and probably a fair amount more to part with both Lugo and Baez.

Source:  New York Post

Two officials familiar with the talks told Newsday that the Mets are moving closer to acquiring Danys Baez from the Rays, perhaps for Jae Seo, Kaz Matsui and cash.

We find it hard to believe Baez would come that cheap. Even if the Rays would only be only responsible for $2.5 million of the $8 million he's set to make, Matsui shouldn't be viewed as a valuable part of any deal.

Source:  Newsday

The Mets might be able to land Danys Baez without giving up Aaron Heilman. That's exactly what they're trying to do.

While the Mets remain very much involved in the Manny Ramirez trade discussions, their effort to acquire Baez is considerably closer to completion, two officials familiar with the talks said yesterday.

The Mets have thus far refused to include Heilman in the package for Baez, one of those officials said, but the Tampa Bay Devil Rays think they can find a package even without Heilman.

It's believed such a package would center around righthander Jae Seo, and the Devil Rays also have interest in second baseman Kaz Matsui, whom they could convert to shortstop and then trade their incumbent at the position, Julio Lugo.

While the Mets have told clubs they'd provide $5 million of the $8 million Matsui is owed in 2006, Tampa Bay might take a flyer on the 30-year-old if the Mets throw in an additional $500,000, thereby making Matsui a $2.5-million shortstop, according to an official from a major-league club.

$2.5 million is still too much for the Devil Rays to pay for Matsui after giving up a valuable piece like Baez, when someone somewhere will be willing to give them prospects at some point. Hell, that's about what Iguchi's earning this year isn't it?

I could understand that deal if they were only on the hook for $1 million of Matsui's contract...makes him actually cheaper than what he'd command on the FA Market, and if he were to somehow perform this year after failing to do so last year (presumably after being touched by the hand of God), it would make him a decently valuable trade chip for them.