Sutter to the HOF

jackie hayes

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden got snubbed, they should be in.. as should Rose.. But, I guess we keep out those who knew how to win.

Pete Rose is always a debatable subject with good argument from both sides...

But what exactly have Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry done to warrant HOF consideration?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
With their time in NY.. How many Rings did they help bring to both the Mets and Yankees?

Does that mean Juan Uribe warrants consideration?

They had some very good years with the Mets and ok years with the Yankees. Granted Doc Gooden had a no-hitter with the Yanks.

But they were highly inconsistant the majority of their careers, never sustained a high level of play for a considerable period of time and their career numbers rank low amongst their peers.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Gonna be tough for the holdovers next year with Ripken, Gwynn and McGwire on the ballot.  It's good that another reliever gets recognized, though.

You're right on the whole tough part, but I think next year will be more interesting than any other year, because we have no idea how many HOF voters will be willing to talk about the past.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
How does Sutter make it and not Gossage?????

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Sutter's in.

Yet Tommy John, Jim Kaat and Bert Blyleven remain out.

It makes no sense.

That, and that. Sutter was good, but for a career of only 1000 ip, a little over 10 years, not dominant enough. A couple excellent years, mixed with some good and some mediocre, shouldn't really cut it.

Gossage and Blyleven should have gotten in, probably before Sutter. I am sort of on the fence on Sutter, as well as Rice and Dawson. Also, as a darkhorse, I think Dale Murphy deserves more consideration than he has gotten.

I for one am happy that Pete Rose won't be going in - he's a scumbag. One of the greatest hitters ever, and "The Hustle", but still a scumbag.

And as for Strawberry and Gooden, not only are they also more damaging to baseball's reputation than helpful, they just don't cut it on numbers either.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

At least Ozzie got 5 votes.

These are the only other ones that have a legitimate shot as long as this wasn't their last year of eligibility:

Jim Rice 337 (64.8%)

Rich ''Goose'' Gossage 336 (64.6%)

Andre Dawson 317 (61.0%)

Bert Blyleven 277 (53.3%)

Lee Smith 234 (45.0%)

Jack Morris 214 (41.2%)

How does Sutter get in? Three words: split finger fastball.

He may not have been the first to use it, but he was the first to master it when people started paying attention to that sort of thing.

I think this will open the door to more closers. Go Lee Smith Go!!!

Knight and I were talking about this on AIM the other night. I believe we came to the conclusion that the only argument against Blyleven was that he just played forever to amass those totals, and due to longevity, his stats are a little overrated. I don't think either of us agree with this at all...in fact, I know that...but what's interesting is to compare him to "one of the greatest pitchers of all time", Nolan Ryan. Maybe if by one of the greatest you mean one of the most overrated.

Blyleven's career totals - 287-250, 685 GS, 242 CG's, 60 SOs, 3701 K's, 1322 BB(therefore, equating to a 2.8 K/BB ratio), 3.31 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, ERA+ of 118

Ryan's - 324-292, 773 GS, 222 CG, 61 SO's, 5714 K's, 2795 BBs(2.1 K/BB ratio, rounding up), 3.19 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, ERA+ of 112

Ryan played in 27 seasons...but he barely pitched in '68 for the Mets, and pitched half a season or so in 93 for the Rangers before hanging it up. So, I'll take out those two seasons and use 25 to do some very small math. Blyleven played in 22 seasons, but pitched 4 games for the Indians in 82...I will not take that out, because even without taking it out, Blyleven is superior to Ryan in his wins/season, if you want to go by that.

Blyleven - 13.04, Ryan 12.96(if you use 27 for Ryan instead of 25, it turns out to be 12 exactly).

Ryan had 20 fewer complete games, and 1 more shutout in 88 more games started...if Blyleven sticks around for 88 more games, I would not only guarantee he would win more games, but that he would also have thrown atleast 2 shutouts during that time.

So why is Ryan in the HoF on the second ballot, but Blyleven still not in at all?

This is also why I quietly fear Thomas will not be elected into the HoF. Those milestone stats...300 wins, 500 homers, 3000 hits...that guarantee you HoF status are just not there for Thomas. Perhaps the HoF voters will look past that and see that he was a very good hitter for 10 years of his career, and did actually play the field for the majority of his career, and that he is one of the best hitters of all time.