Sox Showed Interest in Prior

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Orioles would laugh. Think about it--Orioles could have one of the premier pitchers in the game for three years in Prior; or a craptacular package of a late 30's Cuban with one year remaining on his contract, and two prospects far from can't miss.

It would have been McCarthy and Cotts, if I had to guess. Only makes sense for Baltimore.

I don't think they would laugh at all...the whole hamper on a deal for tejada involving the cubs was that Baltimore didnt want prior cuz of his duribility issues.

They may have wanted a pitcher like contreas who has no history of arm problems as opposed to one who's had elboy tendinites and a freak accident that broke his arm.

Surprisingly enough, i could have seen the sox making a deal to get prior without giving up too much. Especially since Contreas's value is alot now. :gosoxretro:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While a healthy Prior would be a welcome addition to any starting rotation, I question trading multiple players for him, especially if it includes a premier left handed set-up man like Neal Cotts and a prospect like McCarthy (who I think is more than a prospect by now).

While Prior has frequently been brilliant while actually on the mound, he seems to spend more time competing with Wood for the simulated Cy Young award. What's worse is he seems to handle himself with kids gloves. He frequently leaves games at the slightest notion of pain and is not afraid to shut himself down at a moment's notice.

I am not sure how that would work with Ozzie and Coop who demand significant innings from the starting rotation. Maybe it is a combination of Cubs coaching and trainers that have mismanaged Prior, many have hit the nail on the head when they mention Prior is going for the big bucks. I think that includes taking so many extra precautions with his health to the point of not worrying about winning and the overall team. That does not sound like a White Sox player in the Ozzie Guillen era to me.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
That is your response to everything bartman, and also shouldnt be in green because he would easily be starting, but the trade wont happen and i dont want an injury prone pitcher.

Injury prone from what? Line drives and second basemen on the base paths?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
Injury prone from what?  Line drives and second basemen on the base paths?

This discussion reminds me so much of Jermaine Dye.

When the White Sox signed Jermaine Dye, a lot of talk was "if Dye can stay healthy." I don't recall my stance on it, but looking back on Dye's injuries, you see that he went down with a freak broken leg on a foul ball in the playoffs, and then he ran into a catcher - though I can't remember who at this point - and dislocated his shoulder.

So if Jermaine Dye is ever considered injury prone, so is Mark Prior. Truth be told, neither is injury prone.

Injury prone is Kerry Wood, who becomes injured because of the way he pitches. Or Frank Thomas, due to the place of his broken bone and his weight. Not Mark Prior or Jermaine Dye, who have suffered freak accidents

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Prior would have cost Contreras and quite a few prospects.

How about Contreras and Vazquez?

A rotation of Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Prior and McCarthy would be badass if they could stay healthy.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
If the Sox stole Prior from the O's, i think Cubdom(dumb-dedum-dumb) would have a mass suicide.    That would be the ultimate stick in the eye if the Cubs had to face Prior in the crosstown classic.

i would prefer to keep cotts and whomever else would have been blocked off for prior. i think hes extremely overrated, and hes never pitched in he american league before. :snow

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
There is nothing wrong with Prior's mechanics  :bang  I think your thinking about our pal Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
Injury prone is Kerry Wood, who becomes injured because of the way he pitches.  Or Frank Thomas, due to the place of his broken bone and his weight.  Not Mark Prior or Jermaine Dye, who have suffered freak accidents

The linedrive to the elbow was a freak accident. The sore achilles and resulting sore forearm and elbow in 2004 were the result of bad mechanics according to Dr. Marshall. This is all before he was hit in the elbow with a linedrive.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

While rehabbing his Achilles' injury in Mesa, Ariz., Prior complained of elbow stiffness and was sent back to Chicago for tests on April 28. A bone scan was taken, along with MRIs on his Achilles' and right arm, revealing more inflammation in the elbow.

Prior later said the inflammation was "completely away from the ligament" and that Cubs doctors compared it to shin splints.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/co...ki/x27-lad1.htm

"Prior has a pitching motion that is very problematic, no question about it," Dr. Mike Marshall said. "If he doesn't change, he will never reach everything that he should be."

Mike Marshall? What does he know? What did the guy ever accomplish in the big leagues, anyway?

Actually, a lot.

In 1974, Marshall became the first relief pitcher to capture the Cy Young Award. He pitched 208-plus innings in an unheard of 106 games that season. And he often pitched batting practice on his few days off.

"Prior has what I call a 'loop' in his motion," said Marshall, who had a career 3.14 earned-run average even though he rarely reached 90 mph on the speed gun. "He brings his right hand up close to his ear. When his elbow starts forward, his hand goes back and flies laterally away from his body. That's an incredible amount of stress on the front of his shoulder."

But what makes Marshall such an authority on the subject? What does he know about bones and muscles and the mechanics of a pitcher?

A lot, really. Marshall devoted much of the last 40 years to book and film study on the subject. After extensive undergraduate work in kinesiology at Michigan State, he earned a doctorate degree in exercise physiology.

One more thing: Marshall never experienced a serious arm or shoulder injury in 14 seasons.

Edited by kyyle23

Ok so because 1 doctor says its bad mechanics that takes away from what everyone else ever said about Prior... one of his best attributes were his mechanics and if you remember a lot of people said Prior would never get hurt because of his mechanics.

But no this 1 doctor who used to play way back in the 70's or whatevr knows more than them.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
Ok so because 1 doctor says its bad mechanics that takes away from what everyone else ever said about Prior... one of his best attributes were his mechanics and if you remember a lot of people said Prior would never get hurt because of his mechanics.

But no this 1 doctor who used to play way back in the 70's or whatevr knows more than them.

Believe what you want. The guy has had elbow problems and heel problems NOT related to his collision with Choi and the linedrive to his elbow. Just because one doctor is quoted, doesnt mean that other doctors dont agree with his assessment.

That is your response to everything bartman, and also shouldnt be in green because he would easily be starting, but the trade wont happen and i dont want an injury prone pitcher.

WRONG!

1. I put it in green to mock those who said Griffey wouldn't have had a starting position on the Sox last season; and

2. Reading is a skill...look into it!

:chair

BTW...I was also campaigning for the Sox to keep Frank Thomas after getting Thome and re-signing Konerko!

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
Believe what you want.  The guy has had elbow problems and heel problems NOT related to his collision with Choi and the linedrive to his elbow.  Just because one doctor is quoted, doesnt mean that other doctors dont agree with his assessment.

Nice research by the way, but yeah you are correct. His lower body mechanics are very good, but they say that the injury to his leg may have caused a reliance on his arm which caused the stiffness. His arm motion is said to cause alot of stress on his elbow and shoulder.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
i would prefer to keep cotts and whomever else would have been blocked off for prior. i think hes extremely overrated, and hes never pitched in he american league before.  :snow

Cotts wasnt included in the deal. I would bet on that, his name was thrown around in this thread to try and make a point.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
Nice research by the way, but yeah you are correct.  His lower body mechanics are very good, but they say that the injury to his leg may have caused a reliance on his arm which caused the stiffness.  His arm motion is said to cause alot of stress on his elbow and shoulder.

Thank you. I didnt think it would be dismissed as fast as it was. :D

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
Believe what you want.  The guy has had elbow problems and heel problems NOT related to his collision with Choi and the linedrive to his elbow.  Just because one doctor is quoted, doesnt mean that other doctors dont agree with his assessment.

Prior never had a collision with Choi, that was Wood. Prior ran into Marcus Giles when running the bases.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0607/1564700.html

http://gwinnettcommerce.com/newsarticles/a...D77EDAB0B55.asp

Giles crashed into him and was down for several minutes.

Jones apparently suffered no ill effects, but Giles, who collided with Cubs pitcher Mark Prior last July 11 and suffered a mild concussion, will go on the disabled list today

One more thing, Prior's machanics are fine, there isnt anything wrong with them, like someone before me said, everyone raves about his machanics, they are nearly flawless.

Edited by SoxPride56

A team would be foolish to not try and get Prior. Can't blame the sox for looking into it. Esp. if it would have cost a package of Contreras, Sweeney and low prospect. Prior's injuries don't seem career threatening or due to poor mechanics [despite what Mike Marshall, the guy MLB teams avoid like the plague].

His Achilles/ elbow problems at the start of 2004 no doubt were caused by the way Baker kept him out there in '03 over 10 games with over 120 pitches, and pitching deep into Oct. And the line drive. And concussion. He and Kerry Wood aren't in the same situations where its been the arm everytime.

"Prior has what I call a 'loop' in his motion," said Marshall, who had a career 3.14 earned-run average even though he rarely reached 90 mph on the speed gun. "He brings his right hand up close to his ear. When his elbow starts forward, his hand goes back and flies laterally away from his body. That's an incredible amount of stress on the front of his shoulder."

If Prior puts extra stress on his shoulder and that's the biggest problem about his mechanics according to "Dr" Marshall, why hasn't he had any shoulder/ rotator cuff problems? He's only lost time due to his elbow [and the other freak injuries].

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
One more thing, Prior's machanics are fine, there isnt anything wrong with them, like someone before me said, everyone raves about his machanics, they are nearly flawless.

Ah, I get it. Because you said so, I should believe it. But a former pitcher and man who has a doctorate in physiology says it, and I shouldnt believe it, right?

Get off it, I believe that Prior has some problems in his delivery that are contributing to his nagging injuries in his elbow and achilles. If you dont, well you have a different opinion then dont you.

But if Prior has a "flawless delivery" and great mechanics, what was wrong with his achilles? Or his sore forearm? Or the elbow inflammation listed in the article I provided?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
But if Prior has a "flawless delivery" and great mechanics, what was wrong with his achilles?  Or his sore forearm?  Or the elbow inflammation listed in the article I provided?

Maybe Zambrano taught Prior about internet chat rooms?

I thought Prior used that one video or whatever that many others are promoting. I'm sure a couple of you guys have seen the infomercial with him, Nolan Ryan and someone else who uses it. It's how he developed the towel warmup and something else. A doctor and someone else developed the system so kids could develop the proper mechanics. It's kind of a coincidence too that Prior's only non-injured year was when he did what he wanted pitching wise(2003).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Probably not because he would be on the DL.

I was waiting for someone to say that. We rip Prior now for being injury prone though most of us see the talent and how good he could be. But what makes anyone think he'd all of the sudden be healthy with the Sox?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
I was waiting for someone to say that.  We rip Prior now for being injury prone though most of us see the talent and how good he could be.  But what makes anyone think he'd all of the sudden be healthy with the Sox?

Bob

I believe the Sox as a team have used the least amount of DL days for the last 10 or 15 years. I forgot where I saw that though. The Sox had Herm whereas the Cubs had some cheap unlicensed trainers taking care of their pitchers.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
who care what it would have cost?  I would rather have prior than BMAC any day of the week.

Finally some sense. If Prior could stay healthy I could care less if McCarthy turned into a good pitcher...fact is he doesn't have the dominating factor Prior has. But it's all hogwash at this point.