Guillen discusses lineup changes

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Guillen discusses lineup changes

Sox manager recognizes need for adjustment in title defense

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- For those White Sox fans at home trying to figure out the team's 2006 batting order, mark Tadahito Iguchi in the sixth or seventh spot with a pencil, instead of a permanent marker.

That particular message was conveyed by manager Ozzie Guillen on Friday, following the ceremony in which Ozzie, his wife, Ibis, and son, Oney, became U.S. Citizens. Guillen mentioned to a handful of Chicago media members that Iguchi's move to more of a run producer's spot will work hand-and-hand with shortstop Juan Uribe's ability to hit second in the order.

"It's up to Uribe and how he handles batting second in Spring Training," Guillen said of the possible switch, which he added became even easier to make once Iguchi passed on playing for Japan in the World Baseball Classic to focus on the White Sox. "I haven't really talked to my coaches yet about the move, but I mentioned it to [general manager] Kenny [Williams], and he respects my decisions. We are on the same page.

"We want to give Iguchi an opportunity to drive in more runs and use his power more. We would like to see Iguchi be the Iguchi we know from Japan. He changed his game completely when he came here and did a tremendous job. But we want him to be a little freer in hitting."

The article's longer than that, but that's the spot that stood out to me. We all kind of speculated about this. It'll be interesting to see how successful this is, and how long Ozzie will give it. I'm sure Iguchi could produce better in a different spot in the lineup, but that's one thing with the Sox where you can really say "You don't fix what ain't broke."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
Is it just me, or does anyone else here think Uribe will be surprisingly good if he's focusing on hitting the ball to the right side and getting extra fastballs because of Pods?  As always, he just will need to take a few pitches too.

I agree. If he's dedicated to focusing on a certain approach, I wouldn't exactly dismiss the notion. In the playoffs he became an entirely different hitter. More relaxed, more patient.

Not as if Uribe is playing for a contract, as Iguchi certaintly is. I wonder if Iguchi himself or his agent have requested a move into a position which allows an opportunity for better power numbers.

If the decision doesn't work in spring training or the beginning of the season, simply switch Iguchi and Uribe. If Iguchi is producing at his spot in the order and Uribe continues to struggle, then you may have a problem.

After Uribe added his little leg kick for timing, he hit well and had a much better eye at the plate. His numbers were something like a .300 avg and a .370+ OBP the last month. While those are probably much too high to expect over the whole year, if he went .280 with a .350 OBP, that would be about the best the sox could hope for [barring any big trade]

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
I agree. If he's dedicated to focusing on a certain approach, I wouldn't exactly dismiss the notion. In the playoffs he became an entirely different hitter. More relaxed, more patient.

Not as if Uribe is playing for a contract, as Iguchi certaintly is.  I wonder if Iguchi himself or his agent have requested a move into a position which allows an opportunity for better power numbers.

If the decision doesn't work in spring training or the beginning of the season, simply switch Iguchi and Uribe. If Iguchi is producing at his spot in the order and Uribe continues to struggle, then you may have a problem.

We still do have that option for Iguchi's 3rd year. I can't imagine us not retaining him if he has another year like last.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
We still do have that option for Iguchi's 3rd year.  I can't imagine us not retaining him if he has another year like last.

For the price of his option year...I think his leg would have to fall off for us to not pick it up.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
We still do have that option for Iguchi's 3rd year.  I can't imagine us not retaining him if he has another year like last.

We also don't have anyone who is ready for second base. He makes barely anything and is a top 10 second basemen. Getz needs 2-3 years and as well does Valido. And Pedro Lopez is never going to be anything, he simply can't hit.

I'd pretty much figured that would be the case, that they'd go with who was better at no. 2 between Gooch and Uribe.

But I am more interested in how the middle of the order shakes out between Kong, Thome, and Dye.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Wow,  if Uribe can handle the 2 slot,  our offense is argubly the best in the league.  I think Gooch is capable of .290,  20-25 HR'S,  90+ RBI.  Spring training is actually gonna be interesting this year.

All year last year I said that on paper our offense was better than it seemed. It finally showed up in the playoffs.

This year...on paper, with Thome, Konerko, and Dye at the heart of that order...if people play up to their potential...and if people stay healthy....we will be top 5, probably top 3. But that is a lot of "If"s. Thome's health is an if. Pods has to stay healthy (He could steal 80+ if he was healthy last year.) Uribe has to avoid backsliding. Ditto Crede. B.A. has to be adequate. Dye has to stay healthy. Iguchi has to justify dropping him out of the 2 hole when he was doing so well hitting the ball to the right side. Etc.

If Thome, Konerko, and Dye stay healthy all season (which at least Konerko and Thome should since they'll get extra rest thanks to each other), our offense will be significantly better than last year's even if some poeple perform worse. But we really have a shot to hammer some people if everything comes together again.

Best in the league offense? You have to be kidding me. The Yankees will have the best offense in the league, no questions asked. Their pitching sucks, but the offense will be amazing.

"You don't fix what ain't broke."
Greasywheels, are you referring to the position of Gooch in the 2 hole and Uribe in the 9, or the offense in general? Because the offense in general was broke for most of 2005. Under league average in OBP, OPS, and runs.

I agree though that there is really no good reason to move Gooch out of the two hole for Uribe. Uribe is free swinging by nature--unless he suddenly turns into even a bad aproximation of Ted Williams up there, the Sox won't be getting much use out of him in the two hole.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Best in the league offense?  You have to be kidding me.  The Yankees will have the best offense in the league, no questions asked.  Their pitching sucks, but the offense will be amazing.

Greasywheels, are you referring to the position of Gooch in the 2 hole and Uribe in the 9, or the offense in general?  Because the offense in general was broke for most of 2005.  Under league average in OBP, OPS, and runs.

I agree though that there is really no good reason to move Gooch out of the two hole for Uribe.  Uribe is free swinging by nature--unless he suddenly turns into even a bad aproximation of Ted Williams up there, the Sox won't be getting much use out of him in the two hole.

I was talking about their positions in the lineup.

I was talking about their positions in the lineup

Cool, I agree, it ain't broke, and putting Urbie in the two hole might just ruin his confidence so that he's useless all year. I want to move Gooch down, I really do, but who is going to hit second? Dye?

That is about the only name I can think of other than Gooch who I wouldn't mind hitting second. And I probably would mind Dye hitting second, especially if Gooch was 5th...It just doesn't make sense to change it.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
I think if uribe shows the patience he had in august/september, he'll make a great 2hole hitter.  But you never know if he'll regress back to his hack everything close approach.

You know, im not worried about Uribe's hitting as much as I am worried about what he does when Pods is on base. Uribe is a free swinger, always has been. Can he bunt? Can he hit behind the runner? Is he patient enough to take a pitch and wait for Pods to steal a base? These are the things I am worried about, not so much his hitting. Iguchi already proved he is up to the task on those things, we will see what Uribe is doing during ST.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
You know, im not worried about Uribe's hitting as much as I am worried about what he does when Pods is on base.  Uribe is a free swinger, always has been.  Can he bunt?  Can he hit behind the runner?  Is he patient enough to take a pitch and wait for Pods to steal a base?  These are the things I am worried about, not so much his hitting.  Iguchi already proved he is up to the task on those things, we will see what Uribe is doing during ST.

I think we saw Uribe do a couple of those things last year. He can hit behind runners pretty well - for example, last year for a good portion of the year he was leading the league in sac flies, etc.

What we need is for Ozzie to say "Our #2 hitter MUST take pitches" and take out his whips to force our #2 hitter to take those pitches. When Uribe lays off pitches...he gets ahead of the count sometimes, and then when he does swing while ahead in the count, the balls travel far.

He hasn't been patient enough thus far in his career, especially early last year. Hopefully, having Scotty on base will be enough to force him to be patient. He holds back on his swing just a little bit and he turns into a monster.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Yea, Uribe is a freaking god on 3-1.  I wish I knew the stats when he is ahead in the count--but he crushes fastballs in the zone.

He crushes balls period. I dont remember who they were playing, but Uribe had a chance to win the game with a grand slam last year(I think it was vs the Indians), and he got a high and tight pitch that was head high or higher, and almost tomahawked it out of the park(he ended up striking out I think, I know he didnt win the game). I knew he was strong, but when I saw him do that I was floored.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Yea, Uribe is a freaking god on 3-1.  I wish I knew the stats when he is ahead in the count--but he crushes fastballs in the zone.

From last year (AVG/OBP/SLG):

1-0 count 47 AB, .319/319/.553 3 HR

2-0 count 11 AB, .273/.273/.636 1 HR

3-0 count 0 AB, 11 BB

2-1 count 24 AB, .208/.208/.208

3-1 count 10 AB, .100/.526/.400 9 BB

3-2 count 44 ABm .250/.441/.318 14 BB, 7 K

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
He crushes balls period.  I dont remember who they were playing, but Uribe had a chance to win the game with a grand slam last year(I think it was vs the Indians), and he got a high and tight pitch that was head high or higher, and almost tomahawked it out of the park(he ended up striking out I think, I know he didnt win the game).  I knew he was strong, but when I saw him do that I was floored.

That was against KRod and the Angels at the cell. KRod had a hard time finding the zone that evening and was getting behind every hitter. Uribe was very impatient and swung at a ball near his melon. How he got that much bat on that pitch was pretty amazing. He Kd on a slider low and away shortly after.

Later in the season with the leg kick he was a much more patient hitter. If he can get something that will stop the tasmanian devil spin thing he was doing before I am all for it. When his stance is quiet like it was towards the end of the year, his hands are quiet and he sees the ball real well. When he spins around and swings violently like he did earlier in the season he has not plate presence and swings at everything.

Personally...I think we'll be just fine with Pods-Uribe at the top of the order and then PK-Thome-Dye-AJP-Iguchi...I tend to think Uribe is in line for a pretty big year, and him hitting 2nd is not going to hurt it. I think him hitting 9th after the year he had in '04 sort of killed his confidence, and having no protection didn't help much either. Hitting behind Pods and in front of PK/Thome will do wonders for Uribe.

However...say, hypothetically, Uribe doesn't work in the 2 slot...but Iguchi is killing the ball down in the order and is a real force for us. Do we take that force away, or do we find someone else to fill that spot in the lineup...someone like, say, AJ Pierzynski? I know he's not your prototypical 2 hitter, but I personally think he would probably be a pretty good 2 hitter. He has shown he can atleast keep the ball fair when he bunts, he doesn't strike out much at all, he would be great in hit-and-run situations, he can go to the right side of the infield rather easily, and it would get him more into the hit for average mentality again rather than the hit for power type mentality. I dunno...maybe just food for thought.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
However...say, hypothetically, Uribe doesn't work in the 2 slot...but Iguchi is killing the ball down in the order and is a real force for us.  Do we take that force away, or do we find someone else to fill that spot in the lineup...someone like, say, AJ Pierzynski?  I know he's not your prototypical 2 hitter, but I personally think he would probably be a pretty good 2 hitter.  He has shown he can atleast keep the ball fair when he bunts, he doesn't strike out much at all, he would be great in hit-and-run situations, he can go to the right side of the infield rather easily, and it would get him more into the hit for average mentality again rather than the hit for power type mentality.  I dunno...maybe just food for thought.

If Uribe doesnt work I would definitely move him back to the bottom of the order. In the case of Iguchi hitting well you have to keep him in his spot, one slight change could throw his hitting off. I think you could give Crede or Anderson a shot at the number two spot, seeing how crede hit towards the end of the year Id like to see him hit a little bit higher, and he has the popups to move players over. Anderson is a stretch though. Aj wouldnt be bad also two lefties in a row, that could be pretty nice combo at the top, and possibly Thome in the third spot.

I guess we will have to wait, I really dont see why we go with last years order and fill in the missing spots, and insert thome in there somewhere, the pods iguchi combo I thought wasnt too bad.