Reliving High School

JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Maybe she needs an IEP. Speaking as a former board member, this whole thing, if true, makes me throw up a little bit.

I can't imagine a high school where a homework load totally prevents a social life. If she's in a private school, then evidently that wasn't the right choice.

Seriously and if it did I wouldn't do the homework. Than again thats basically how high school went for me. I knew I could get A's on my tests so I skated by without doing homework (I'd halfass my projects but shockingly I'm a really good writer and can bs like no other).

Ya, you'd all be surprised at the fact that I pretty much always get A+'s on papers (I don't edit or even look things over here). I'm ready for some slams at Fullerton :lol:

Honestly its a matter of if you think your kid is smart, cause i don't think there are that many people that do all their homework in high school. The ones that don't, as long as they know what they want to do and realize whats necessary to do that will be fine.

Since high school, where I had a low B average (3.3 or something) I've jumped up to a 3.77 or so in college with one semester to go. It was just a matter of me being lazy cause I thought high school's only part was to have fun with friends and of course prepare you for college. I did enough for that to happen and than turned it up a notch in college (Cause that helps ya for the rest of your life).

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
Seriously and if it did I wouldn't do the homework.  Than again thats basically how high school went for me.  I knew I could get A's on my tests so I skated by without doing homework (I'd halfass my projects but shockingly I'm a really good writer and can bs like no other). 

Ya, you'd all be surprised at the fact that I pretty much always get A+'s on papers (I don't edit or even look things over here).  I'm ready for some slams at Fullerton :lol: 

Honestly its a matter of if you think your kid is smart, cause i don't think there are that many people that do all their homework in high school.  The ones that don't, as long as they know what they want to do and realize whats necessary to do that will be fine.

Since high school, where I had a low B average (3.3 or something) I've jumped up to a 3.77 or so in college with one semester to go.  It was just a matter of me being lazy cause I thought high school's only part was to have fun with friends and of course prepare you for college.  I did enough for that to happen and than turned it up a notch in college (Cause that helps ya for the rest of your life).

But you're not an engineer

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
You've got this all wrong.  If I really believed that my daughter was capable of doing this work on her own & that her social life was getting in the way I would let her fail.  I'm doing this because I've reached the point where I no longer think she is capable of doing it on her own. 

Those that know me know I am driven by logic & numbers.   My mind quickly mapped this problem into a state diagram.  What I arrived at was a simple conclusion:  If she doesn't improve she'll wind up in special ed any ways.  

Outside of cheating there is no way she can improve her performance on tests without improving her capacity to do homework.  If she fails regardless of the path I take the conclusion is inevitable.  This is pretty much a no-brainer for an engineer.

The fact you treated this situation with your daughter like a computer is scary. There is obviously something psychologically at play here, but your "great mind" won't allow you to see it because a] it lies beyond logical reasoning and b] you are too pompous to believe someone with your advanced DNA could have those problems

Oh..and by the way...doing her homework for her is CHEATING.

The only part of your rambling that is correct is the "no-brainer" part. I'll let your superior intellect figure out why.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

I've already come to the realization she needs special ed. I arrived at that conclusion back in the fall. The problem is both her teacher's & her mom haven't arrived at that conclusion.

Though I don't like the situation it is without quesiton a temporary one. I am basically removing the last crutch my wife has to lean on in denying the special ed factor. I'm hoping my daughter surprises me but I'm not expecting it.

I pretty much just created the thread to vent & explain my absence. Nothing more than that.

I wasn't a great student either. I did most of my homework in other classes. My time after school was spent at practice (swim, football) until I needed to earn money for college. That was around junior year when I got a job. I entered a highly competitive school as an asst manager of a distribution outlet. I nearly flunked out in my first semester while pledging a frat & taking on a heavy load. I couldn't juggle all 3 lives so I left the frat. Eventually I let go of the job as well & took out loans. I devoted my time to my studies & made the Dean's list 4 semesters in a row. Having gotten the CS degree I had taken enough courses in my EE minor to where a CE degree was well in reach. I found a nice employer willing to pay for my grad school so I spliced them together. Two yrs later I was empowered by an MSCS/CE.

I really only busted my tail in my junior & senior yrs of college. My grad school amounted to TV sites where I would do the homework due that night in the class & video tape the lecturers. I liked CS so I both took my comprehensive & completed a special project thesis.

If laziness is a genetic inheritance then I'm guilty of passing it on.

What the f***? My parents would never do anything for me in school. They get pissed at me if I get B's. They don't give a f*** about my social life, school comes first. Luckily, mostly everything in high school has come easy for me and I don't need to try hard that often. Luckily for my mom, she can brag about me at family gatherings and social events! That is actually the only reason I ever try in school, so my mom can brag about me. I would HATE to be stupid and have my mom suffer socially because of it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
Since high school, where I had a low B average (3.3 or something) I've jumped up to a 3.77 or so in college with one semester to go.  It was just a matter of me being lazy cause I thought high school's only part was to have fun with friends and of course prepare you for college.  I did enough for that to happen and than turned it up a notch in college (Cause that helps ya for the rest of your life).

I agree with you. I know that I want to be an actuary, statistician, or accountant, so I try hard in precal. English is a joke, German is an even bigger joke, my Physics teacher doesn't even understand it so why should I try, and I could get an A in foreign policy in my sleep. Right now I'm throwing together a 1500 word paper for English the night before it's due over two novels I haven't even read. I really f***ing hate English.

Good Lord.. I'm still shaking my head over this one.

This thread should be locked, and thrown far, far away. That people like this exist.. people that think that it's better to teach lying and cheating, is beyond disgusting. A child needs help.. and this thing ignores it. A child folks... an innocent child who has pulled the ultimate short straw in the daddy lottery.

So sad.. so very sad. :headshake

Juggs if she needs help...get it for her. Its not worth your wife's satisfaction for your daughter to go one minute longer without getting the special education she needs. The longer you deprive her of that the longer you risk the chance of her becoming totally screwed up.

The helps there for a reason and you all should utilize it. Your wife be damned, if she needs it, get it for her. No ifs and are butts.

Juggs if she needs help...get it for her. Its not worth your wife's satisfaction for your daughter to go one minute longer without getting the special education she needs. The longer you deprive her of that the longer you risk the chance of her becoming totally screwed up.

The helps there for a reason and you all should utilize it. Your wife be damned, if she needs it, get it for her. No ifs and are butts. A situation like this isn't a time to spare peoples feelings, especially your wifes. I'd tell her to go piss off if she was gonna b****. No offense, but if she cares more about what other people think about her child than what she could do for her child, well than she's a pathetic mom to begin with and a pretty useless part of society.

I understand having problems with raising children and I don't know anything about it, but your own pride/ego shouldn't get in the way of good parenting. She obviously cares more about herself than the kid and that shouldn't be the case.

Talk with your daughter and tell her how you feel. No other way to accomplish it than putting it out on the table.

I tell you one thing...its stuff like this that makes me appreciate my dad and mom and all they've done for me.

Check your PM, Juggs.

/damn Soxtalk for making me not write up my scenarios and lesson plans! But I had to put my 2 years of minor's knowledge on education into play

//got 3 lesson plans done, two worksheets and main scenario with discussion questions but I still have half a chapter to plan

///and a study guide and a test

////slashies rule

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)

This thread should be locked, and thrown far, far away. That people like this exist.. people that think that it's better to teach lying and cheating, is beyond disgusting. A child needs help.. and this thing ignores it. A child folks... an innocent child who has pulled the ultimate short straw in the daddy lottery.

So sad.. so very sad.  :headshake

I blame the mom more. It seems all she cares about is what other people think. Juggs just needs to realize this and go out there and instead of caring what her wife things, do whats best for the daugheter...ie getting the kid into the special educational classes.

If you know she needs help and you deprive of it, imo, its no worse than child abuse cause you got a shot at ruining the rest of her life. Hell for all I know thats already been accomplished, but a late start is better than nothing Juggs. I really hope you realize that.

I realize I've been a dick in this thread, but its got to be said cause imo, what your doing is awful for your daughter. She may appreciate it in the short run, but its going to cripple her for the rest of her life.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 01:06 AM)

So sad.. so very sad.  :headshake

Steff this "child" is an highschool id say thats past the innocent stage.....and this "child" was the one making the hissy fit about not having a social life because of omg HOMEWORK!

While it amazes me that a parent would do their kids HW and sickens me at the same time.... saying an "innocent child" is a bit much. A lot of posters here are in highschool or just their 1st/2nd year of college and I wouldnt call them innocent children. Stupid WHARRIS being on the sports know it all poll instead of me!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Steff this "child" is an highschool id say thats past the innocent stage.....and this "child" was the one making the hissy fit about not having a social life because of omg HOMEWORK!

While it amazes me that a parent would do their kids HW and sickens me at the same time.... saying an "innocent child" is a bit much.  A lot of posters here are in highschool or just their 1st/2nd year of college and I wouldnt call them innocent children.  Stupid WHARRIS being on the sports know it all poll instead of me!

Good point. I honestly can say if my parents told me they'd do my work I'd of told em to piss off. Its a thing called morals and having someone else do your work while you take credit for it, well its just not cool.

Now all the admins and mods are gonna come running and saying how I really do nothing, but its true :D

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)

While it amazes me that a parent would do their kids HW and sickens me at the same time.... saying an "innocent child" is a bit much.  A lot of posters here are in highschool or just their 1st/2nd year of college and I wouldnt call them innocent children.  Stupid WHARRIS being on the sports know it all poll instead of me!

If this highschooler can't do her homework.. and counts on mommy and daddy to make things right for her.. then she's a child - mentally. Seriously.. there are posters in here YOUNGER then this child likely is and they KNOW that this is simply retarded, do you all not...?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
I've already come to the realization she needs special ed.  I arrived at that conclusion back in the fall.  The problem is both her teacher's & her mom haven't arrived at that conclusion.

Though I don't like the situation it is without quesiton a temporary one.  I am basically removing the last crutch my wife has to lean on in denying the special ed factor.  I'm hoping my daughter surprises me but I'm not expecting it. 

If you know, then its time to act. If your time is as precious as you have made it out to be in this thread, then it should behoove you to act quickly for your daughter

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
If this highschooler can't do her homework.. and counts on mommy and daddy to make things right for her.. then she's a child - mentally. Seriously.. there are posters in here YOUNGER then this child likely is and they KNOW that this is simply retarded, do you all not...?

I'm in 8th grade, and I'm desperately searching for the logic in what Juggs is doing.

Wow. I would've never guessed juggs was married and had a kid in High School.

As for the topic, Juggs, what are you going to do when your daughter gets her first real job and is having a hard time addressing an issue or problem?

Supposedly this girl in my high school's mother did her work, and the girl ended up being valedictorian. Her brother alway denied it, but the girl got a 17 on her ACT, and last either one year or one semester away from school.

Don't let your daughter become a cheater.

Seriously Juggs, could you sound any more whipped? This little reverse psychology "I'll show them by doing her homework" mentality has totally blinded you to the damage caused by your actions. How long can you spoil the child before she becomes dependent on Daddy doing her homework for her in order to function?

By treating her to this little vacation from responsibility, you're just making it that much harder for her to take some when she needs to. If she got to you now by complaining about her high school social life, what's to say she won't come crawling back during college and beyond? I suggest you stop this at once and let a horrible semester GPA be her wake up call. I don't know if her school has any sort of academic probation or anything, but I hope she runs in some social circles where a sub 2.0 GPA would be a source of embarassment.

I had a pretty "bad" semester during my sophomore year of high school which really did wonders for me in the long term. The knowledge that basically all my friends had done better than me in one particular class really became a source of motivation for the rest of my academic career. This doesn't work for everybody, but most anyone can find some sense of pride in doing well in at least one or two classes. I just hope that when you say "temporary", you are already weaning her off the Juggernaut Prep plan.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)

Junior in High School and neither of my parents have ever done homework for me and I would never want them to. Why set myself up for dissapointment later on? I don't expect a co-worker to just do my work for me because I havent been out in a week or 2. That is retarted! I am probably the laziest person I know and I am still able to manage schoolwork, homework, the up-coming ACT, college search, baseball, and a social life without complaining or begging someone to do work for me. Please.