Reliving High School

JUGGERNAUT

This was my main problem with the way high school has been structured with my experience (about 12 years since i've been out 8, so was there 4).

WAY too much emphasis is put on grades. I wasn't the best HS student in the world, probably had a B- average in HS and that was because there were a few classes I took interest in and got A's. I always tested high on all the placement tests, so it was VERY frustrating to my parents. But they made sure I flied right in my social life and let me take my own path. I ended up graduating with honors from College and made it through law school.

Maybe the academic route isn't for everyone. I agree finishing high school is key, but too much emphasis is put on everyone attending college when it is not for everyone. I have many friends who didn't go to college, barely passed HS and are very successful now.

i don't mean this to attack you Juggs, you seem like a smart person who knows what is best for your family, but thought I would give my opinion since you posted it here. Best of luck!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
When you are as intelligent as I am company is rare.  That's why I don't put much stock in what many say here & I rarely face a challenge I can't easily destroy or exhaust.

I have never seen you win one agrument or debate. Your facts have no base to them and your opinions are derived from your warped sense of reality and superiority.

The simple fact that you are doing all of your child's homework is proof that your delusions of granduer on the internet have seeped into your personal life and you feel only YOU can truly help your child for no one can be as smart as you.

Will you be there when your child fails in life because you have not fully taught her how to face it, like any average parent would do? Probably not.

Those who place themselves high above others cannot see them them when they are so low to the ground.

Plus...you will soon have a long way to fall.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Juggs deludes himself into believing that he is a caring individual based on his compassion showed to loved ones. The problem is, Juggs displays this compassion at exactly the wrong time, in exactly the wrong way.

The food references stem from a discussion about eating disorders. Juggs said something to the effect of "I dated a girl who was bulemic before, but I made sure she only threw up the bad/cheap stuff." He editted his post and ran away.

This is the same situation. Juggs needs to grow a pair, tell his wife the facade is over, and cut the girls social life to zero. He thinks that he can fix everything, but he's just an enabler. He's making it worse.

All you people do when you lie like this is show the true colors of who you are & the politics you represent. That's why topics like this are appropriate for S,L, & P because they discuss people's politics.

What you've written is a complete & utter lie. I said the exact opposite & the sheer volume of the thread shows I did not run away.

I expressed both my displeasure & dismay at finding out she was doing that. I questioned her about her. I told her she shouldn't be doing that & emphasized that she shouldn't even entertain the thought when it came to HEALTHY food.

Again I don't live in a classroom ideal world. People are the most complex things any one has to deal with. What works for one might not work for another. In most cases it doesn't. You have to feel people out & find what works best for them.

Now this was over a decade ago & I did that. I felt her out. Tried to find a common ground where I could be of help. I found that ground in comforting her & directing the focus of the discussion to healthy foods & matters of health. Many times over I suggested she she a nutritionist because these people are qualified to help her. That's all you can do in that situation: SUGGEST things that might work for them.

The reality of that situation is that she developed that habit WAY BEFORE I ever even knew she existed. The idea that just ragging a person or threatening to abandon them is going to change their habits is stupid. You deal with the hand you are dealt as best you can. You look for something to work with.

I have found that when it comes to people it's best to look for a path of least resistance in finding a solution. That's not unlike computer science. You look the path with the least cost in finding a solution. Of course you have to weigh short term costs vs long term costs but in the real world it's the short term costs you have to deal with immediately.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
I have found that when it comes to people it's best to look for a path of least resistance in finding a solution.  

The easiest path is not always the right path...

But someone as closed-minded as you will never see that.

You can posture and stammer all you like about how right you are...but you are not. When you realize that maybe your daughter can get the assistance she derserves.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
When you are as intelligent as I am company is rare.  That's why I don't put much stock in what many say here & I rarely face a challenge I can't easily destroy or exhaust.

Well if us liliputians are just too insignificant for your intellect, then why do you bother?

You havent destroyed any challenge here, you presented us with a problem in your life that you are dealing with in your way. Whats the point though? You put no stock in our ideas or arguments, you obviously feel you are smarter than that.

The funny thing here, is that you really cannot defend doing your daughters homework so that she can have a social life. There is no defence. Try as you might, but you know that you are making her dependent on Daddy and it is going to come back to bite her in the ass later.

I have remained civil in all my arguments with you, and have yet to talk down about anything you have said. I just completely disagree with your theory that this is about your wasted time. The only thing thats being wasted is your daughters intellect. You keep mentioning Special Ed, but you maintain your daughter is smart. She may be smart, but you are not showing us that she is in any way disciplined, and your wife sounds the same if she is going to side with your daughters social life over education. In the end, it doesnt matter though, because both of you think you are doing the right thing. Time will tell if you are or arent.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
It doesn't do it's homework. It places the homework in the basket.

It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.

It places the lotion and the homework in the basket or it will get the hose!

Put the f***ing homework in the basket!

ROFLMAO

Thanks! I needed a good laugh.

It's always the same pattern here. Those who lack the intelligence to engage in the debate pick on something as mundane as quote tags. If I am responding to the quote in a general sense (which is what I do most of the time) then reference to the quote tag itself suffices. It makes it easier for someone to open that quote in a new window if they care to. It's really quite a simple reference.

You've got this all wrong. If I really believed that my daughter was capable of doing this work on her own & that her social life was getting in the way I would let her fail. I'm doing this because I've reached the point where I no longer think she is capable of doing it on her own.

Those that know me know I am driven by logic & numbers. My mind quickly mapped this problem into a state diagram. What I arrived at was a simple conclusion: If she doesn't improve she'll wind up in special ed any ways.

Outside of cheating there is no way she can improve her performance on tests without improving her capacity to do homework. If she fails regardless of the path I take the conclusion is inevitable. This is pretty much a no-brainer for an engineer.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
You've got this all wrong.  If I really believed that my daughter was capable of doing this work on her own & that her social life was getting in the way I would let her fail.  I'm doing this because I've reached the point where I no longer think she is capable of doing it on her own. 

Those that know me know I am driven by logic & numbers.   My mind quickly mapped this problem into a state diagram.  What I arrived at was a simple conclusion:  If she doesn't improve she'll wind up in special ed any ways.  

Outside of cheating there is no way she can improve her performance on tests without improving her capacity to do homework.  If she fails regardless of the path I take the conclusion is inevitable.  This is pretty much a no-brainer for an engineer.

Maybe she needs an IEP. Speaking as a former board member, this whole thing, if true, makes me throw up a little bit.

I can't imagine a high school where a homework load totally prevents a social life. If she's in a private school, then evidently that wasn't the right choice.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
You've got this all wrong.  If I really believed that my daughter was capable of doing this work on her own & that her social life was getting in the way I would let her fail.  I'm doing this because I've reached the point where I no longer think she is capable of doing it on her own. 

Those that know me know I am driven by logic & numbers.  My mind quickly mapped this problem into a state diagram.  What I arrived at was a simple conclusion:  If she doesn't improve she'll wind up in special ed any ways. 

Outside of cheating there is no way she can improve her performance on tests without improving her capacity to do homework.  If she fails regardless of the path I take the conclusion is inevitable.  This is pretty much a no-brainer for an engineer.

How is it not cheating to do her homework? If you feel that she is not capable of doing it on her own, then you are too far gone. She needs Special Ed already, you are just going to have to face facts.

These generally tend to be the girls I met in college who failed out first semester because they were out Wednesday through Sunday, and didnt feel the need to do the homework.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Hey, I do my son's homework too.

Its hard coloring in those lines, but dammit I don't want him to miss recess and blame his teddy bear.

I've made some of my precious time available for him between riding my high horse into town and standing on my pedestal.

Then he goes over the colors I choose(which are correct) with his mom.

Then they rub my feet, place flowers at my golden idol and praise me as I sleep.

I know how you feel Juggs.

POST.OF.THE.YEAR

I was in tears.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
I see an easy solution.

1. Tell your wife to have a steaming cup of STFU.  She should be happily smiling at family outings etc. that her husband can do grade school homework well.  For her to lie that her daughter is actually earning those grades makes her an immoral

2. Tell your daughter that it is too damn bad that her social life is suffering because she can't/won't do her schoolwork.  Boo f***ing hoo.  Cry me a goddamn river.  Look into other options like a tutoring program at the school or outside of school or put her in special ed programs and get her an IEP.

I'd call you a retarded parent but I don't want to offend the mentally challenged.

She can always be the cool kid on the short bus.

Seriously Juggs. Help your kid out with the homework and knock it through her brain or see if she has some sort of learning disability. You doing everything for her is gonna get nothing accomplished and actually make things worse in the long run. If she does in fact have a learning disability, than if you have the funds or the school offers the program you are better off getting her in there now and starting to deal with it than letting her ride through high school and than find her way into the real world. Once she's there she's screwed, unless your a multi multi millionaire who has no problem paying her way through life.

Sometimes as a parent you have to be mean. In the long run its better off for the kid. My assumption is that this has been a long standing issue.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
It's always the same pattern here.  Those who lack the intelligence to engage in the debate pick on something as mundane as quote tags.

lol

We're not the ones that got suckered into doing some kids homework.