I drove past the Cell today

UC76

I drove past the Cell today on the Dan Ryan for the first time since the green seats have been put in place. They look most excellent. It also looks like more "stuff" has been painted black (Rolling Stones pun intended) on the outfield area.

All I know is that it looks friggin' sweet.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
I drove past the Cell today on the Dan Ryan for the first time since the green seats have been put in place. They look most excellent. It also looks like more "stuff" has been painted black (Rolling Stones pun intended) on the outfield area.

All I know is that it looks friggin' sweet.

I think they should paint the facades of the club level and upper deck green, and get rid of those ridiculous pinwheels they have lining the facade of the club level. They look like mints.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Nope. No sarcasm. I liked the way the blue seats looked. I knew they had to be replaced, but to me, the blue seats were nicer than the green ones.

Oh my, I must disagree. Those blue seats were an eye-sore and looked far too "Cubbie" to be in our ballpark. I like the darker look the park has taken, and the fact that we are putting in the dark green seats now.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Nope. No sarcasm. I liked the way the blue seats looked. I knew they had to be replaced, but to me, the blue seats were nicer than the green ones.

Have you driven by lately? It looks great and MUCH, MUCH better than the blue, IMHO.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)

I know every man is entitled to his own opinion but... how can you even suggest that those crapy blue seats are better than Green ones in a basball park? We were duped when this park first opened and they acted like they kept any character from the old park. The thing I missed the most were the green seats and yellow railing the old Golden Box seating areas. It was long overdue that they go back to their baseball roots and match the seats to the grass. Sorry.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
I know every man is entitled to his own opinion but... how can you even suggest that those crapy blue seats are better than Green ones in a basball park? We were duped when this park first opened and they acted like they kept any character from the old park. The thing I missed the most were the green seats and yellow railing the old Golden Box seating areas. It was long overdue that they go back to their baseball roots and match the seats to the grass. Sorry.

What if they get Kentucky bluegrass to match the blue seats, then???

:D

One of the biggest complaints about USCF was that it was too drab. For a while, the only things in that park that had any life to them were the blue seats......and then people b****ed about those. Do the green seats look nicer? That's a matter of personal taste, but you can't tell me dark green is not more drab than a bright blue.

I am a huge fan of the renovations that have taken place over the last few years. Instead of just being a ballpark, the Cell has become the White Sox park, with its own taste. I honestly believe, call me a homer if you will, that the Cell is one of the top 5 ballparks in the league. I love that place.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I am a huge fan of the renovations that have taken place over the last few years.  Instead of just being a ballpark, the Cell has become the White Sox park, with its own taste.  I honestly believe, call me a homer if you will, that the Cell is one of the top 5 ballparks in the league.  I love that place.

I agree and it's THE nicest park when it's filled to capacity. It's really gone shine this upcoming season.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Oh my, I must disagree.  Those blue seats were an eye-sore and looked far too "Cubbie" to be in our ballpark.  I like the darker look the park has taken, and the fact that we are putting in the dark green seats now.

This is a problem. Too many people want to compare us to the Cubs. Far too many White Sox fans do this too. How is it "Cubbie"? In fact, the Cubs have green seats. Isn't putting in green seats, far more "Cubbie."

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Have you driven by lately? It looks great and MUCH, MUCH better than the blue, IMHO.

I pass it everyday on the Rock Island.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)

I think LMB said it best...

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
One of the biggest complaints about USCF was that it was too drab.  For a while, the only things in that park that had any life to them were the blue seats......and then people b****ed about those.  Do the green seats look nicer?  That's a matter of personal taste, but you can't tell me dark green is not more drab than a bright blue.

Those seats do look too drab. Blue added some color and life IMHO to the place which has been called dark, and gloomy, and lifeless. Do the green seats match the OF wall better? Yeah, but IMO, the wall color should've never been changed either. I don't see fans complaining in Philly about blue seats. It actually looks nice. I'm not saying we should've kept the old seats since the lifespan was up, but we should've replaced them with new blue seats.

"This is a problem. Too many people want to compare us to the Cubs. Far too many White Sox fans do this too. How is it "Cubbie"? In fact, the Cubs have green seats. Isn't putting in green seats, far more "Cubbie."

There you go making sense again.

:D

I like the green seats and I also do my share of complaining about things having to do with the Sox, but sometimes I just can't find the logic in people's complaints.

Blue seats aren't necessarily bad, but the shade of blue the seats were at the cell was just terrible, IMO. I also think blue seats added to the height of the UD in people's mind. Psychological studies have shown that the mind associates the color blue with the sky while green is associated with the ground.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Someone should bring up the question during Soxfest. It baffles me that they cannot replace the seats in one offseason while teams build half a stadium in that time. Hell, we changed the roof of the UD at the Cell in one offseason.

What's the weather like in those areas? It'd be easy to build a stadium in a place where the weather is dependable year-round.

We also had our offseason cut short by something called the playoffs.