Lollapalooza '06

LosMediasBlancas

I have mixed feelings about this event. On the one hand, it's awesome that Chicago gets the event. With that many stages over 3 days, there are bound to be a lot of acts worth the time. We had a blast at last year's.

On the other hand, now it's become a huge event and you'll get the 'event' crowd there. Also, now they need to sell a lot of tix, so look for some really, mainstream acts to be on the bill. I say the Pumpkins and Dave Mathews :puke each headline one night.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogatis/c...tr-lolla14.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
I have mixed feelings about this event.    On the one hand, it's awesome that Chicago gets the event.  With that many stages over 3 days, there are bound to be a lot of acts worth the time.  We had a blast at last year's.

On the other hand, now it's become a huge event and you'll get the 'event' crowd there.  Also, now they need to sell a lot of tix, so look for some really, mainstream acts to be on the bill.  I say the Pumpkins and Dave Mathews  :puke  each headline one night.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogatis/c...tr-lolla14.html

LOL, its been a big event pretty much from the start. The difference now is the acts that they use to draw the fans. In the beginning, it was up and comers. Now it is all about the money makers, the DMBs and the Smashing Pumpkins and anyone who can fill up a venue. Thats pretty much why Perry Ferrell abandoned the project in the late 90s.

A 3 day Lollapalooza is pretty awesome though, I know I would make an effort to go to one night.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
LOL, its been a big event pretty much from the start.  The difference now is the acts that they use to draw the fans.  In the beginning, it was up and comers.  Now it is all about the money makers, the DMBs and the Smashing Pumpkins and anyone who can fill up a venue.  Thats pretty much why Perry Ferrell abandoned the project in the late 90s.

A 3 day Lollapalooza is pretty awesome though, I know I would make an effort to go to one night.

Yeah, but last year was pretty big and there wasn't an act that was a real huge draw. It felt like things were going back to how they should be, guess that didn't last long.

Last year there ended up being about 4 bands out of the 60-something that I wanted to see.

I'm not crazy about the all-day music fests anyway, so that was fine with me.

I think I'll skip it this year, unless there's some reunion that I can't miss.

That would NOT be the Pumpkins, I can definitely miss them with no problem.

Maybe if the Replacements reform, or (dare to dream) Husker Du, then I'd be there that day for sure.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Yeah, but last year was pretty big and there wasn't an act that was a real huge draw.    It felt like things were going back to how they should be, guess that didn't last long.

No way, not when there is money to be made. I think Perry Ferrell also participated in the re-birth of Lollapalooza and then once again backed out when s*** wasnt going the way he wanted it to.

Capital Sports Entertainment, located here in Austin, does a pretty good job with the Austin City Limits music festival. there's usually at least one big band (this past year it was...yeeeeuck...Coldplay). But the rest were either up and coming acts or group B bands. Y'know, the 3000 seat venues, not arena rock. I would guess there would be a big headliner a night, but the rest of the 100+ bands will be up and comers.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
Capital Sports Entertainment, located here in Austin, does a pretty good job with the Austin City Limits music festival.  there's usually at least one big band (this past year it was...yeeeeuck...Coldplay).  But the rest were either up and coming acts or group B bands.  Y'know, the 3000 seat venues, not arena rock.  I would guess there would be a big headliner a night, but the rest of the 100+ bands will be up and comers.

Austin is my list of places to visit soon. Very cool music scene. Is South By Southwest there this year??

I like these all day festival things. You have to go in with a different mindset then going to see a typical concert event. I know i was dissapointed I couldn't make it last year, and I expect a better line-up this year. I think a lot of bands were hesitant to play (as many news reports said a lot of bands turned it down and it took a ton of $$ to get the Pixies to finally play) but now that they see it went well hopefully it will draw more bands.

If you ever look at some of the line-ups the European music festivals get I am hopeful that this fest can begin to match up with those.

I like that some of the smaller bands get a lot of press, like The Brianjonestown Massacre last year, IMO that's a great band and due to Anton being nuts they have never really been exposed to a larger audience, and fests like this give them an opportunity.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
I like these all day festival things.  You have to go in with a different mindset then going to see a typical concert event.  I know i was dissapointed I couldn't make it last year, and I expect a better line-up this year.  I think a lot of bands were hesitant to play (as many news reports said a lot of bands turned it down and it took a ton of $$ to get the Pixies to finally play) but now that they see it went well hopefully it will draw more bands.

If you ever look at some of the line-ups the European music festivals get I am hopeful that this fest can begin to match up with those.

I like that some of the smaller bands get a lot of press, like The Brianjonestown Massacre last year, IMO that's a great band and due to Anton being nuts they have never really been exposed to a larger audience, and fests like this give them an opportunity.

BJM is one of my favs as well. They were great at Lolla, not so good in a smaller setting.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
LOL, its been a big event pretty much from the start.  The difference now is the acts that they use to draw the fans.  In the beginning, it was up and comers.  Now it is all about the money makers, the DMBs and the Smashing Pumpkins and anyone who can fill up a venue.  Thats pretty much why Perry Ferrell abandoned the project in the late 90s.

I remember somewhere around 94 or 95 Metallica was part of it.

The festival was in Pecatonica (small town near Rockford) and the lines were backed up so badly that some people didn't make it in until the show was already half over.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
I remember somewhere around 94 or 95 Metallica was part of it.

The festival was in Pecatonica (small town near Rockford) and the lines were backed up so badly that some people didn't make it in until the show was already half over.

Metallica wasnt until 1996, and by then Ferrell started backing off.

This was the 1991 original lineup

The Rollins Band

Violent Femmes

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Janes Addiction

Butthole Surfers

Fishbone

Living Colour

Nine Inch Nails

Ice-T

All of the Lollapalooza lineups

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
I went to '92 and '93, some of the best shows ever.

I went to 97. It was ok. Tool was friggin amazing as was Snoop, but Korn was a no-show because Munky came down with Menengitis. Tricky was pretty cool to see on stage, because his music is so...out there. But I really enjoyed his show. I didnt enjoy the bass headache that I recieved afterwards though.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)

Beg to differ.

primus_-_pork_soda.jpg

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
Metallica wasnt until 1996, and by then Ferrell started backing off. 

Wow. I could've swore that I was still in high school when they came here. I remember a friend of mine that had a couple of shirts that he made and got in trouble for trying to sell. One said Peca-palooza and the other said Lolla-tonica.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
I think they moved it to Orlando this year.

Ummm, no. It's always here in Austin. And it's always the week of Uni. of Texas' spring break. End of March-ish. It's REALLY expensive to get a badge. And the wristbands, from what I've heard, don't always help. but, there's so much music, if you are a music fan, it's worth it.

This year, from what I've heard, Morrissey will be giving an interview AND doing a set. The Flaming Lips will be here and the featured artist is Neil Young.

There's also a North by North East festival somewhere in Canada in September or October.

ADDITION: And I was at the first Lolla' at the old New World Music Theater (now Tweeter Center). I was sooo hungover that I fell asleep during Rollins' set. I still kick myself to this day. But whoever made them open wasn't thinking to straight.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Ummm, no.  It's always here in Austin.  And it's always the week of Uni. of Texas' spring break.  End of March-ish.  It's REALLY expensive to get a badge.  And the wristbands, from what I've heard, don't always help.  but, there's so much music, if you are a music fan, it's worth it. 

This year, from what I've heard, Morrissey will be giving an interview AND doing a set.  The Flaming Lips will be here and the featured artist is Neil Young. 

There's also a North by North East festival somewhere in Canada in September or October.

ADDITION:  And I was at the first Lolla' at the old New World Music Theater (now Tweeter Center).  I was sooo hungover that I fell asleep during Rollins' set.  I still kick myself to this day.  But whoever made them open wasn't thinking to straight.

I've been to SxSW twice in the late 90's. It's tough to see anyone who has any type of buzz entering the event.

I was just joking around. I picked the most uncool place on earth so as to not require the green text. I guess I was wrong.