Lollapalooza '06

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
I've been to SxSW twice in the late 90's. It's tough to see anyone who has any type of buzz entering the event.

I was just joking around. I picked the most uncool place on earth so as to not require the green text. I guess I was wrong.

Hmm...the most uncool place on Earth...yeah, Orlando fits the bill, but I wouldn't put it past the Disney empire to steal it away. how about Albany, Georgia?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
Bonnaroo  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

everyone was telling me how great the bonnaroo lineup was and while radiohead is my fav. band i'd only really want to see like 1/5 of the acts and their ticket prices are f***ing expensive and i've heard its always ran rather sloppily

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:21 AM)
everyone was telling me how great the bonnaroo lineup was and while radiohead is my fav. band i'd only really want to see like 1/5 of the acts and their ticket prices are f***ing expensive and i've heard its always ran rather sloppily

When I used to live in Carbondale the cool thing to do in the summer was to go to Bonaroo. I have never heard that it is run sloppy from any of my friends that went, and these people went every year. I heard that the security is really cool and they let you do your thing as long as you arent bothering other people. Nothing but good words about Bonaroo from my friends, but I have never been there.

I want to go to Coachella some time. Those same friends of mine went to Coachella also, and they said while Bonaroo was great, Coachella was off the hook.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
When I used to live in Carbondale the cool thing to do in the summer was to go to Bonaroo.   I have never heard that it is run sloppy from any of my friends that went, and these people went every year.   I heard that the security is really cool and they let you do your thing as long as you arent bothering other people.  Nothing but good words about Bonaroo from my friends, but I have never been there.

I want to go to Coachella some time.   Those same friends of mine went to Coachella also, and they said while Bonaroo was great, Coachella was off the hook.

Bonaroo '06= Bonnie Raitt and Tom Petty, uh no thx.

I am probably going to Coachella this year. We have friends who live 10 mins. from the grounds, so I don't have to worry about being a dirty hippie all weekend. :P

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)

I am probably going to Coachella this year.  We have friends who live 10 mins. from the grounds, so I don't have to worry about being a dirty hippie all weekend.  :P

I would love to see Tom Petty. In fact, just to say I saw her, I would love to see Bonnie Raitt too.

I know what I like, but I try not to narrow my music focus so much when it comes to live performances. Music festivals like bonaroo and coachella are specifically meant to broaden your horizons, thats what I try and do when I go to them.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
"In fact, just to say I saw her, I would love to see Bonnie Raitt too."

Now you sound like a Cub fan.  :P

Ha, Im not going to repeatedly pay for something I dont want to see. Just one time.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)

I am probably going to Coachella this year.  We have friends who live 10 mins. from the grounds, so I don't have to worry about being a dirty hippie all weekend.  :P

You missed a few others:

Radiohead

Phil Lesh & Friends

Beck

Elvis Costello & the Imposters

Death Cab for Cutie

moe.

Bright Eyes

The Neville Brothers

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Buddy Guy

Damian Marley

Ben Folds

Robert Randolph & the Family Band

Dr. John

Matisyahu

G. Love & Special Sauce

My Morning Jacket

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder

Steel Pulse

Mike Gordon and Ramble Dove

Cat Power

Medeski Martin & Wood

Nickel Creek

Gomez

Atmosphere

Steve Earle

Blues Traveler

Amadou & Mariam

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks

The Dresden Dolls

Son Volt

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Jerry Douglas

Soulive

Rusted Root

Devendra Banhart Band

Donavon Frankenreiter

Mike Doughty

Sasha

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

The Magic Numbers

Bill Frisell

Seu Jorge

Bettye LaVette

Dungen

Shooter Jennings

Rebirth Brass Band

Robinella

Andrew Bird

Steel Train

Jackie Greene

Devotchka

The Wood Brothers

dios (malos)

Toubab Krewe

The Motet

Marah

I-Nine

Balkan Beat Box

The Cat Empire

Umphrey's McGee / Disco Biscuits

OYSTERHEAD

LES CLAYPOOL

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
You missed a few others:

holy s***, that show is way better than just Bonnie Raitt and Tom Petty. That show is gonna be great. I would personally go to see Bela Fleck, Beck, Son Volt, Radiohead, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello, Death Cab, Ben Folds, Steven Malkmus, and assorted others. But to characterize Bonaroo as equal to just Bonnie Raitt and Tom Petty is just wrong.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
the new Lightning Bolt album is good

i know...dead cowboy is my favorite song...where'd that come from?

I just love how my morning jacket mixes the metal/country thing so perfectly...its very CCR like. I love it. The guys got a great voice.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Yeah, but last year was pretty big and there wasn't an act that was a real huge draw.    It felt like things were going back to how they should be, guess that didn't last long.

Last years list was full of a lot of indie rock bands. It was a great list, I was pissed I couldn't go. If DMB and Smashing Pumpkins headlined it, I don't think Chicago would want to touch it--I don't care where Billy Corgan is from.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 03:10 AM)
Wilco's YHF is a really good record, too bad they blew their entire load on it.

:rolly

listen to Kicking Television...not only is it the best produced live record i've heard in a while, it highlights the amazing addition of Nels CLine and WILL give you a new appreciation for a ghost is born. Plus summerteeth is right up there with YHF for me... she's a jar and via chicago are very beautiful

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 03:09 AM)
My point about Petty and Raitt is that every big show starts off as a showcase for new bands, but eventually has mainstream stuff thrown in.    We've yet to see the Lolla line up, but I think Coachella has the best one so far.

coachella lineup was pretty weak in my opinion at least compared to the last 2 years.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
:rolly

listen to Kicking Television...not only is it the best produced live record i've heard in a while, it highlights the amazing addition of Nels CLine and WILL give you a new appreciation for a ghost is born. Plus summerteeth is right up there with YHF for me... she's a jar and via chicago are very beautiful

I listened to KT recently and wasn't impressed. I'll give it another lsiten and if I don't like it, you owe me those 45 minutes of my life back.