Rob M. in CF?

LosMediasBlancas

eh, sounds about normal to me. If this article came out midway through March, I would be a little bit more worried about it. But this isnt based on performance, its based on speculation. I think that Mackowiak will be the supersub and Anderson will be the CF when all is said and done

Here's my favorite part of the article.

"Jerry Owens is not ready to play center field right now,'' Williams said. "He had a shoulder injury a couple of years ago and had a procedure to take care of that. His arm strength hasn't come back. We were hoping to see some improvements in his strength this winter when he was playing in Venezuela, but there were none.''

I hope this now puts to rest the idea of Owens possibly starting in cf this year.

As far as Anderson goes, it doesn't sound like anything serious. It is nice to have a guy like Mack in case something unexpected does happen.

2005:

Rowand: .270/.329/.407 32 BB on 578 AB

Mackowiak: .272/.337/.389 43 BB in 463 AB

Now, the OBP numbers level off a bit with the HBP stats of course with Rowand. Also, Rowand played in 157 games to Rob's 142, but if projected to 157 games, the HR, RBI, and K totals are all very similar. Also, Rob is a solid defender (although obviously Rowand wins out there) but Rob also hits lefty. Now, obviously I'm not expecting Rob to be in CF everyday like Crash was last year, but at the same time my point is Rob in CF is VERY similar offensively to Crash, and can play pretty good defense, so we could certainly live with him out there for a few weeks if Anderson isn't quite ready yet.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 06:24 AM)
Here's my favorite part of the article.

I hope this now puts to rest the idea of Owens possibly starting in cf this year.

As far as Anderson goes,  it doesn't sound like anything serious.  It is nice to have a guy like Mack in case something unexpected does happen.

Keith...you better read this since you looked at me all odd when Kenny made that comment at Fest referring to the potential of Owens in CF :)

Got to Cover my ass since I was yelling at everyone on this board suggesting Owens would be an option in CF. :D

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
If Joe Borchard can bat 8th, (he would be an average CF and gold glove LF.  problem is Pods is nowhere near a CF at least Borchard has an arm) I would be fine with this.  I actually think Borchard is going to have an impact for us.

Hahaha, why is that?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
Personally, I would have Borch play CF until Anderson is ready. Have Borch do what they planned for Anderson.. bat 8th or 9th with little pressure on him and ask that he play good defense.

Hey Joe...could you do us a favor, run a few steps faster than you do right now, and play better defense too. That's pretty easy for you to do, right?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
Borch does play good.. not great defense. He has a decent arm. Who else they have to play CF?? Pods?? Now there is a scary f***ing thought.

:P

Edited by kman

Weve become so paranoid about Anderson it has now resorted to wanting to start Borchard?? :bang This is the same Borchard that wants to go to the CFL and could easily break any Vizciano strike out record. I don't want to see Borchard in the starting line-up for one game, even after clinching. I'd rather have Chris Singleton suit up again.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Weve become so paranoid about Anderson it has now resorted to wanting to start Borchard??  :bang This is the same Borchard that wants to go to the CFL and could easily break any Vizciano strike out record.  I don't want to see Borchard in the starting line-up for one game, even after clinching.  I'd rather have Chris Singleton suit up again.

This Borchard situation will be finalized this spring. Either he shows something worthwhile, or he's gone.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
Borch does play good.. not great defense. He has a decent arm. Who else they have to play CF?? Pods?? Now there is a scary f***ing thought.

Why is that so scary? he was a starting center fielder at the major league level for 2 years at Milwaukee with 276 games started. Borchard only started 25 games at CF at the major league level, I dont know how many at the minor league level but it couldnt have been too many with Anderson in AAA. I dont think it is as scary as everyone else does.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
This Borchard situation will be finalized this spring.  Either he shows something worthwhile, or he's gone.

I still think that the team will put him in the 4th outfielder (or even 5th outfielder if it comes down to it) spot rather than lose him. I just keep remembering that, if he was the 4th outfielder, his job would be to out-produce a guy who hit .218 last year with 2 home runs. Borchard hits .218, in 150 at bats and he hits 8-10 dingers. That's at least an improvement.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Why is that so scary?  he was a starting center fielder at the major league level for 2 years at Milwaukee with 276 games started.  Borchard only started 25 games at CF at the major league level, I dont know how many at the minor league level but it couldnt have been too many with Anderson in AAA.  I dont think it is as scary as everyone else does.

No, just a lot of people around here thinks Pods sucks and won't give Anderson a chance. But when it comes to Borchard or god forbid, Jerry MVP Owens, there is no wrong. Afterall, they are the future. :unsure: I don't see why we are even giving Borchard another chance, this makes it what, a baker's dozen now?? Such a great 5 tool phenom.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I still think that the team will put him in the 4th outfielder (or even 5th outfielder if it comes down to it) spot rather than lose him.  I just keep remembering that, if he was the 4th outfielder, his job would be to out-produce a guy who hit .218 last year with 2 home runs.  Borchard hits .218, in 150 at bats and he hits 8-10 dingers.  That's at least an improvement.

So .218 is taken for granted?? Cause I'm not about to give Borch that kind of credit, he has done nothing to prove he can do any better. More power?? Big deal... its more outs.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
If Joe Borchard can bat 8th, (he would be an average CF and gold glove LF.  problem is Pods is nowhere near a CF at least Borchard has an arm) I would be fine with this.  I actually think Borchard is going to have an impact for us.

I think you might be right. I think Joe B will be on the roster out of ST and will contribute in whatever role he is put in by the Sox. Mack is the super sub for the infield and when you start messing with those kind of players you can waeken the team. I think with Mack in the infield and Joe B in the OF, playing whatever role he is supposed to play, you have a stronger team.

Edited by elrockinMT

Ugh, if you suggest the idea of Joe Borchard in CF, you should be banned with no questions asked. As for this situation, it's fine!! As I posted in page 1, Rob and Crash had almost identical offensive numbers last year (and Rob batting lefty) and this is why we signed Macokwiak in the first place, for situations like this. And of course, B Anderson should be ready in Mid to Late April at the worst.

My only question with Rob is his arm strength (which I know nothing about). Rob has solid speed, and along with Pods in left and Dye in right our OF will still cover plenty of ground, but we need a good arm in CF since Pods couldn't throw a superball into the ocean while standing in high tide.

My only question with Rob is his arm strength (which I know nothing about).  Rob has solid speed, and along with Pods in left and Dye in right our OF will still cover plenty of ground, but we need a good arm in CF since Pods couldn't throw a superball into the ocean while standing in high tide.

Mackowiak has a pretty good arm. I was watching some of the old Pirates clips at MLB.com and he was gunning it from RF in a couple of them. His arm is definately stronger than Rowand's and Podsednik's. Also...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=6725

Baserunning & Defense

Mackowiak has very good speed and uses it wisely. He is a high-percentage basestealer and adept at going from first to third and second to home on base hits. Mackowiak is an adequate third baseman with good reflexes and a very strong arm but only ordinary range. He is a better defender in the outfield with the speed to play center, though he is smoother playing on one of the corners.