Putting CD's you've bought on your iPod isn't fair

3E8

these guys can all go f*** themselves. Im sick of them inventing new and clever ways to stick their fingers into my bank account. I have a collection of well over 1000 cds, Im not about to re-acquire $10,000+ worth of music just because these guys think I am not playing fair.

They always were. The music industry "pirating" problem is a problem only for the big business "rape the artist" side of the industry for the most part.

Yeah, I download music. But if I like the band, I buy the CD. Or I go to the show. But I support the artists I like, period. If I don't I stop listening to the mp3, because it and they suck.

Next thing you know they'll say you should buy a new copy every time you want to listen to it. I can hear it now....

"The record labels put a lot of time and expense into creating these discs, and to use the same CD over and over and over, with no time limits or limit to number of plays, really isn't fair to the poor, poor media conglomerates who do such a fine public service providing these goods to the consumer. A one-play per disc concept is really the most equitable way to show gratitude to the record companies, so we're calling for such a concept today."

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Next thing you know they'll say you should buy a new copy every time you want to listen to it. I can hear it now....

"The record labels put a lot of time and expense into creating these discs, and to use the same CD over and over and over, with no time limits or limit to number of plays, really isn't fair to the poor, poor media conglomerates who do such a fine public service providing these goods to the consumer. A one-play per disc concept is really the most equitable way to show gratitude to the record companies, so we're calling for such a concept today."

WARNING: This disc will self destruct in 5 uses.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
Yeah, I download music. But if I like the band, I buy the CD. Or I go to the show. But I support the artists I like, period. If I don't I stop listening to the mp3, because it and they suck.

I have a friend who hit it big a few years ago with his band. He told me that the money that bands make off of an album is a pittance compared to the money they make off of tours and merchandise. I buy cds I like, and a download also. I have been to too many concerts to count(although very few lately), and I think I have done a great job of supporting the artists I like. Like I said, the RIAA is just trying to find new ways to take money from me and I dont appreciate it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
I have a friend who hit it big a few years ago with his band.  He told me that the money that bands make off of an album is a pittance compared to the money they make off of tours and merchandise.  I buy cds I like, and a download also.  I have been to too many concerts to count(although very few lately), and I think I have done a great job of supporting the artists I like.  Like I said, the RIAA is just trying to find new ways to take money from me and I dont appreciate it.

What band? Curious to see if we know the same people, since few bands in the area have "made it".

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
What band? Curious to see if we know the same people, since few bands in the area have "made it".

Revis. They were on the Daredevil soundtrack, the official MLB 2001 video game(i dont remember if it was 2k1 or MVP 2001), I lived with them for about a year, right up until they moved out to California to "hit it big". They did good, toured on the Nintendo Fusion tour and briefly with Pearl Jam, but they broke up after their egos blew up a little.

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
I used to support these guys on this, but they're just getting stupid now.

Seriously...if I purchase a CD I have the right to play it on whatever system I want. If that means putting it on my computer and creating a collection to listen to via my harddrive or by putting it on an MP3 player.

RIAA can go f*** themselves. I actually supported the whole download thing when they brought it up, but this is beyond ridiculous.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Revis.  They were on the Daredevil soundtrack, the official MLB 2001 video game(i dont remember if it was 2k1 or MVP 2001), I lived with them for about a year, right up until they moved out to California to "hit it big".  They did good, toured on the Nintendo Fusion tour and briefly with Pearl Jam, but they broke up after their egos blew up a little.

Nope, never heard them. I might know the song on the DD soundtrack though. I'll check 'em out.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
these guys can all go f*** themselves.

^^^^^

Apple has bent over backwards to make piracy pretty tough. This is the digital equivalent of the $1.00 "blank tape tax" the RIAA pushed for in the 80s.

If you own a CD and rip it for your own use, you are well within your rights, and the RIAA is not going to change that.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Revis.  They were on the Daredevil soundtrack, the official MLB 2001 video game(i dont remember if it was 2k1 or MVP 2001), I lived with them for about a year, right up until they moved out to California to "hit it big".  They did good, toured on the Nintendo Fusion tour and briefly with Pearl Jam, but they broke up after their egos blew up a little.

yeah...i liked that band....i was browsing to see if they were coming out with another cd and saw they broke up. shame, they were good

The motion picture industry I know is getting extremely serious over this. I've talked to one of my law professors who is also part of a practice in Madison (not just an academic). He tells me that one of the biggest clients they have is the motion picture assosciation (forgot what the actual acronym is). He says that there are currently over 300 cases in the greater Madison area alone, with each one settling for around $4000 with little exception!!! So if you are downloading music or movies beware, you never know who is lurking