Last guys on the roster

southsider2k5

From the looks of it, it now looks if Ozzie keeps a second lefty, which there is a really good chance he will do so, that we are looking at two roster spots for the last three guys. To me it look like it will come down to Jeff Bajenaru, Joe Borchard, and Ross Gload for those few spots. I am curious as to who people think will be the last two guys on, or even if people think that Neal Cotts will be our only lefty out of the pen, and all three will make it...

Opinions please.

Second lefty, Redding, and Borchard.

I'm thinking Javier Lopez will be the second lefty just because of his submarine/sidearm delivery. The Sox wanted Mike Myers but he signed with the Yankees. If Lopez shows some control in ST, he may be the ideal guy to get one or two lefties out with that wacky delivery. I think Redding will be the long reliever/mop-up man. He is supposed to have his velocity back (hitting 92 MPH again) and he has a good assortment of pitches.

Edited by SSH2005

5 starters, McCarthy, Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Hermy, and mystery lefty. Add in the 9 starters, plus Ozuna, Widger and Mack, and that leaves 2 empty spots.

I am starting to think, with those days off early on, that Ozzie will only carry 11 pitchers. So...

So who do I think takes the 2 spots? I think it will be the best 2 of Borchard, Grieve and Gload, based on how their springs go. I would guess Borchard and Grieve right now.

EDIT:

If the Sox do carry a 12th pitcher, then it is just one of those three, plus the pitcher. But I honestly don't have a clue who the 12th would be. None of the pool of lefties sticks out yet - maybe as ST goes on.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

I agree with SSH on this one.  I really have no reason to think Redding will make the team, other than he can go a few innings and I have just had a feeling that he'd be on the team ever since we signed him.

That's why I think Redding will make it over Bajenaru. Redding can pitch multiple innings. I'm pretty sure Bajenaru usually only pitches one or two innings. I think Ozzie and KW want to use McCarthy in bigger situations than just long reliever/mop-up duties. But let the best man win. I don't favor either guy. Whomever has the better ST should win the job.

I really have given up on Borch when it comes to giving him a roster spot. If another wants to give him a shot, and he does something with it, then so be it.

In a perfect world, I want the Sox to aquire someone during or right after ST to fill the veteran role needed in the bullpen. I think Baj or one of the 7 or 8 lefties in camp might be able to do something, but that doesnt really cut it for me. I want a vet I can count on in the 6th and 7th if needed.

I like Gload, and really think he can have somewhat of an impact on the team if on the roster all season.

So I want another arm we dont know about, Ross Gload, and Im really not sure if I want a 12th pitcher in Redding or Baj, or Grive/Borchard.

ph_123584.jpg

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
In a perfect world, I want the Sox to aquire someone during or right after ST to fill the veteran role needed in the bullpen. I think Baj or one of the 7 or 8 lefties in camp might be able to do something, but that doesnt really cut it for me. I want a vet I can count on in the 6th and 7th if needed.

This would be fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe the sox will land a veteran arm at the deadline. Until then, I sorta think we may see some scary "Billy Koch-esque" 7th innings.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
From the looks of it, it now looks if Ozzie keeps a second lefty, which there is a really good chance he will do so, that we are looking at two roster spots for the last three guys.  To me it look like it will come down to Jeff Bajenaru, Joe Borchard, and Ross Gload for those few spots.  I am curious as to who people think will be the last two guys on, or even if people think that Neal Cotts will be our only lefty out of the pen, and all three will make it...

Opinions please.

Well, to answer your question, I think it will be the best pitcher available, whether or not it's Baj and then Borchard. I hope Baj gets a fair shot and I'm pulling for him to make it. As for Gload, I just don't think he fits on this team. I think they'll value Borchard's solid but unremarkable defense over Gload's bat.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
That's why I think Redding will make it over Bajenaru.  Redding can pitch multiple innings.  I'm pretty sure Bajenaru usually only pitches one or two innings.  I think Ozzie and KW want to use McCarthy in bigger situations than just long reliever/mop-up duties.  But let the best man win.  I don't favor either guy.  Whomever has the better ST should win the job.

Well, the question is how many "Innings-eaters" we actually want in that bullpen. They've said before that they want McCarthy to get 100+ innings next year. That's 30 more innings than Viz got last year, on a staff that ran with 11 men for a good chunk of the season, with El Duque in the starting rotation.

This year, Vazquez is likely to eat more innings than El Duque did, McCarthy is supposed to get additional innings and will almost certainly suck that long relief role completely dry, and we're likely to carry 12 pitchers. All of that together suggests that we might have a need for a 2nd long relief guy maybe 1 times during the entire season...times when we need a long man to come in when BMac worked the day before and the entire bullpen is tired for some reason and can't contain the other team. Given our starting pitching, that seems pretty unlikely, unless someone gets hurt for a while.

I don't think Redding will make the team. Won't he basically be doing what McCarthy would be doing?

As far as the 2nd lefty, according to the Sun-Times today, all the LH threw live batting practice and Lopez looked the best according to Sox hitters. But, let's wait and see for the exhibitions to start.

The Sox seem really high on Borchard that I think he'll make it over Gload.

So the final two spots would go to Borch & Lopez.

Edited by robinventura23

By the way, didn't notice this Sun-Times blurb anywhere yet, but it's at least a start.

*The eight left-handers competing for the one opening in the bullpen each threw live batting practice Thursday, and according to the Sox hitters who faced Javier Lopez, his stuff was the most impressive.

On CTL yesterday, Coop was on and he said if he was to give a very early prediction on who has the leg up, it was Lopez.

Makes sense. KW originally wanted Mike Myers when the Marte/Mackowiak trade was going down but he chose the Yankees so KW gets a similar submarine-style pitcher in Lopez off the scrap heap. Mike Myers actually helped Lopez with his mechanics when they were with the Diamondbacks.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
So the final two spots would go to Borch & Lopez.

Am I counting wrong? I got one final spot.

bench: Owens, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Widger

bullpen: Jenks, Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, McCarthy, Bajenaru

Okay, so Jeff's not a lock. But still, that's two pitchers left - not a pitcher and a bench guy.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Am I counting wrong?  I got one final spot.

Okay, so Jeff's not a lock.  But still, that's two pitchers left - not a pitcher and a bench guy.

I think most people believe Owens is not going to happen - that he will end up starting in AAA to get more playing time.

I am not opposed to him getting a shot in ST, because I'm not a huge Anderson fan. But Anderson has pretty much been given the starting CF spot, and most people think Owens will be better served starting at AAA than being a bench guy with the Sox.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Am I counting wrong?  I got one final spot.

Okay, so Jeff's not a lock.  But still, that's two pitchers left - not a pitcher and a bench guy.

How is Owens going to be the opening day CFer and rookie of the year if he starts the year on the bench? ;)

I noticed Casey Rogowski's name in yesterday's box score at catcher. I didn't know he could catch. If any SoxTalk spies saw the game could you let us know how he looked?

I've long felt the White Sox need a third catching option on the roster. If Rogo can survive behind the plate, plus handle the OF corners and 1B, you can start thinking about him as a sleeper to make the team.

It's still a stretch to think he would start the season in Chicago, but keep him in mind. As guys get worn down and dinged during the season he might see some time in the show.