Prior Heading to Doctor

MurcieOne

Prior's headed to the doctor

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

March 14, 2006, 5:47 PM CST

MESA, Ariz. -- Cubs right-hander Mark Prior left camp with shoulder soreness Tuesday morning and will be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles Wednesday.

Prior was playing long toss before a scheduled bullpen session at Cubs camp Tuesday when he complained of discomfort in the posterior of his right shoulder.

General manager Jim Hendry said it was the first time this spring that Prior had complained of soreness. The injury came two days after his first simulated game of the spring.

"He's tired of it, too," manager Dusty Baker said. "You can tell he was a little distraught by the whole thing. He wants to pitch, and he wants to pitch with nothing wrong."

Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee was also scheduled to be examined by Yocum after bruising his left shoulder while diving for a foul ball in the U.S.-Japan game Sunday in the World Baseball Classic. Hendry said Lee may pull out of the tournament for precautionary reasons if it's more than just a bruise.

Man, the Cubs suck.... and Steve Stone looks like a genious (perhaps he is one?)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone here called this one, including Steve Stone on The Score. The complete and utter BS continues to be spewed by the Cubs. Yeah, they didn't know about this. They need to start drafting/signing pitchers who aren't made of glass.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Will Carroll of BP deserves an apology. He had this story a couple of weeks ago, and the Cubs tried to make him look like an idiot.

exactly... Teddy Greenstein wrote a smear piece in the Trib afterwards. Here's hoping Greenstien now apologizes and writes the truth about the lies that come out of the Cubs organization.

Good I'm a heartless individual who feels absolutely no sympathy for Prior or the Cubs organization. You won't hear me ever say, "Oh man, Prior has SO..MUCH..TALENT. Hate to see an arm like that go to waste." Who would have ever thought the player with the PERFECT throwing motion could develop any health concerns? :bang

Just compare Prior with Hermanson. Herm Schneider and Guillen were upfront and honest concerning his condition. No spinning. I haven't seen Williams give the media any of the usual soundbytes Hendry would. Atleast in KW's instance, he might downplay Hermanson's back to regain leverage for a trade. What is the Cubs' excuse? To sell tickets?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
exactly... Teddy Greenstein wrote a smear piece in the Trib afterwards. Here's hoping Greenstien now apologizes and writes the truth about the lies that come out of the Cubs organization.

He knows that will get him fired.

He'll just have to write a powder puff article about how lovable all the cubs losing is.

I just don't get why the Cubs do this sort of thing.

Is delaying the news a week or two going to make Prior's arm better?

The Tribune wants to continue the "Lovable Losers" theme. They want Cubs fans to think that everything is actually happy and there's nothing wrong. If you recall, there were quite a few empty seats at Wrigley when they were tanking last season. The games were sellouts anyways because the tickets were already sold. The Tribune is about making money. They don't want to lose any "Lovable Loser" fans to the Sox, for example.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
I just don't get why the Cubs do this sort of thing.

Is delaying the news a week or two going to make Prior's arm better?

Tickets went on sale AFTER that first BP report of Prior having a sore shoulder. They've been on sale for a couple weeks now. That should be all the "Why" you need to know.

wow i hope he misses another year.

not to be "mean" or unrespectful to anyone, or any team in the MLB, but he needs to learn a lesson, so does the organization.

If he is that good, that young, and that injured, theirs obviously something wrong.

If there was any chance he would have passed a physical...Bobby Abreu should be in their outfield or Tejada should be starting at short for the Cubs. There's no way they should have held onto him last offseason. I don't care how valuable young pitching is...it isn't valuable in the doctor's office.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
So...who wants to bet as to the first month Mark Prior will pitch this season?  Put me down for July.

For July, I'd imagine shoulder issues would have to extend beyond posterior shoulder irritation. I'm guessing May. They'll rest him for perhaps a week or two following a visit with Yocum if nothing is wrong. After the rest simulated games will resume. Perhaps he'll pitch in a minor league game or two.

I wish that one poster, I don't recall his name--he's a personal trainer--were here for a possible prognosis.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
If I was a cubs fan id be so mad at the organization.

They're still even claiming this was the first time he felt discomfort this spring. How out of it do you have to be to believe that, when someone else reported it a few weeks ago, and when Prior still hasn't pitched in a game?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
They're still even claiming this was the first time he felt discomfort this spring.  How out of it do you have to be to believe that, when someone else reported it a few weeks ago, and when Prior still hasn't pitched in a game?

Cubs fans will believe anything :bang